Cryptocurrency Donation Options

LegoManIAm94

As an alternative to PayPal I think NexusMods should add cryptocurrency option as a method to donate to mod authors. And I know it won't be hard to add this feature to the website since no API will be needed.

How it will work is that an author can add/remove a cryptocurrency wallet to their account. To add one they will need to give the wallet a name such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin. Then they will need to paste the wallet address and then click save. Then when someone downloads a file from the mod author or views their profile they will see a list of wallet addresses they can send crypto to.

No need for an API, all that is needed is a form to be made and a database to store the wallet names and addresses.

The best with this is there are hundreds of cryptocurrencies and you can add anyone of them to your account an accept donations in that currency.

Why not simply copy and paste your wallet addresses into the mod description? That seems like a much easier solution rather than requiring Nexus to create server-side code. Nothing is stopping you from putting your BTC / LTC wallet address on your page.

Edited by Reneer

Why not simply copy and paste your wallet addresses into the mod description? That seems like a much easier solution rather than requiring Nexus to create server-side code. Nothing is stopping you from putting your BTC / LTC wallet address on your page.

I was going to do that but when you have lots of mods uploaded to Nexus it takes awhile. And if you get a new wallet later on then you will have to go through every mod file again just to add the new wallet address.

I was going to do that but when you have lots of mods uploaded to Nexus it takes awhile. And if you get a new wallet later on then you will have to go through every mod file again just to add the new wallet address.

Ah, that's true. I didn't think of that.

Another suggestion would be to have some sort of Global Description. This global description can be just like a Forum Signature that appears below every post you make on the forum and can be changed at anytime except in the author mod files. With this description you can put anything in there including crypto addresses.

• 1 year later...

I can see the fields that the mod author needs to fill in look like this...

You can recieve donations in any cryptocurrency of your choice! To add a cryptocurrency donation, enter in the name of the coin and your address.

|---------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Coin |Address |
|-----------|---------------------------------------------------------|
|Bitcoin |17mmd6HfhkFB2kLy2GBbWenn48YJf7mGwg X Delete |
|Litecoin |qrjkkd8hnl2mat0z396dzwm8sha2m6vpey0c3w2ezn X Delete |
|-----------|---------------------------------------------------------|
| + Add |
|---------------------------------------------------------------------|

You can share your Unstoppable Domain URL and recieve donations to the cryptocurrency addresses linked to your unstoppable domain URL. This will only work in cryptocurrency wallets that support unstoppable domains as addresses.

|--------------------------|------------------------------------------|
|Unstoppable Domain URL |nexusmods.zil X Delete |
|--------------------------|------------------------------------------|

All this is needed some settings that can be filled out by the mod author and the filled out fields will be shown whenever the donation request pops up such as when someone downloads a mod.

No need to integrate an API or payment processor since cryptocurrencies are peer-to-peer payments and are very secure. All that is needed to make this work is,

Adding fields on Nexus Mods accounts to add your cryptocurrency coin name, cryptocurrency coin address, and to add a unstoppable domain URL. And have these fields show up under donations. That is it!

I believe in supporting Modders through donations.

I dont agree that Nexus or any online site should embedded currency as a feature from a legal standpoint.

Modders should take it on themselves to simply let people know about their donation options

using third party links to websites that only focus on currency exchange like Paypal and Patreon.

As a Modder, I would simply post my donation address.

As a Gamer, I would love to support my favorite modder.

Nexus has a hard time as it is being a third party website where people can upload Mods.

With copyrights, like music, people should be careful about posting donations.

This is a topic that definitely needs to be addressed more.

Thank you!

-Juliano the Great (Imperial)

Edited by laghettogames714

Most cryptocurrencies are not directly interchangeable with any given nation's currency, and they aren't intended to be. Accepting something like BitCoin as a payment method means Nexus suddenly becomes invested in BitCoin's success and spread, which is a pretty major gamble. Even if Nexus sold crypto as a stock, they would have to accept payment relative to current USD stock market value and then hope that the stock prices either stay the same or increase, which means Nexus could actually lose money by accepting cryptocurrencies.

It just isn't worth it right now. The platform already has plenty on it's plate anyway.

I agree w/SirenBrink.

I had long dialogs w/some very good people in the Finance Field about Crypto and one of many reasons they said,

" NO ... is, it's based on which Currency? "

.. Ponder that for 30 seconds.

Plus here are some more thoughts to ponder:

BITCOIN AND THE STOCK MARKET. ( It's NOT just straight cash. )

Unlike stocks, most cryptocurrencies do not give any legal entitlements to holders. Therefore, crypto-asset trading is mostly unregulated opposed to common stock trading on the majority of stock exchanges.Dec 15, 2019

Bitcoin has been plunging alongside stocks ever since investors began pricing in the impact of coronavirus. To the naked eye, it appears that bitcoin is moving in lockstep with equities, making it a risk-on asset as opposed to a digital haven. To be clear, bitcoin doesn't usually move in the same direction as stocks.Mar 9, 2020

* note the vague phrase: " ... doesn't usually move ..... ". Yet it is clear that it does, to noticeable degree.

What makes Cryptocurrency go up and down?

This is a basic economic principle. If a cryptocurrency has a high token supply with little demand from traders and users, then the cryptocurrency's value will drop. Conversely, if the supply of a particular cryptocurrency is limited and the demand is high, then the value of the coin will increase.Jul 24, 2018

What makes Cryptocurrency go up and down?

This is a basic economic principle. If a cryptocurrency has a high token supply with little demand from traders and users, then the cryptocurrency's value will drop. Conversely, if the supply of a particular cryptocurrency is limited and the demand is high, then the value of the coin will increase.Jul 24, 2018

Can the Bitcoin market going to collapse?

The 2018 cryptocurrency crash (also known as the Bitcoin crash and the Great crypto crash) was the sell-off of most cryptocurrencies from January 2018. After an unprecedented boom in 2017, the price of Bitcoin fell by about 65 percent during the month from 6 January to 6 February 2018.

> In other words, can it crash? > YES!

Ponder This:

Is it wise to invest in Bitcoin?

Because Bitcoin is on the internet, they are even easier to steal and much harder to return and trace. Bitcoin itself is secure, but bitcoins are only as secure as the wallet storing them. Investing in bitcoin is no joke, and securing your investment should be your top priority.

Can my bitcoin wallet be hacked?

Short answer is YES. If your Bitcoin wallet is hosted in a third party server (coinbase, blockchain, bittrex ect) then yes it can get hacked.

How much Bitcoin has been hacked?

Binance says more than $40 million in bitcoin stolen in 'large scale' hack. In a statement, the company said hackers stole API keys, two-factor codes and other information in the attack.May 7, 2019

Has Coinbase ever been hacked?

Yes! Coinbase has definitely been hacked, although it doesn't seem that they'll ever want to admit it. My account and the accounts of 5 mutual friends all got hacked at around the same time, right before Christmas 4 years ago!

Can someone steal your bitcoin?

Bitcoin is a decentralized digital currency that uses cryptography to secure transactions. Bitcoin transactions are recorded in a digital ledger called a blockchain. ... Hackers can steal bitcoins by gaining access to bitcoin owners' digital wallets.Jun 25, 2019

Can Bitcoin be taxed?

Bitcoins held as capital assets are taxed as property

General tax principles applicable to property transactions apply. Like stocks or bonds, any gain or loss from the sale or exchange of the asset is taxed as a capital gain or loss. Otherwise, the investor realizes ordinary gain or loss on an exchange.

Bottom Line: READ THE FINE PRINT ...