Vortex's lack of conflict solutions

Xcel99

I'm sorry, but I just want to know why Vortex doesn't automatically solve mod conflicts (or what vortex considers conflicts) the way NMM did? It just seems like a backwards decision to make it so users have to solve the conflicts themselves. I ran into a problem with patches to a mod that apparently all conflicted with each other, and, barely understanding how to resolve the conflicts, I linked the newest installed patch to the one before, but I was being told that all four patches conflicted with each other, but I knew it wasn't a problem with the mod as it had worked before on NMM. Eventually, I was told I had to remove certain rules from the mod or else it would "cycle". It seems annoying to me that a manual installation is somehow easier than using a mod manager, despite the point of a mod manager being so the user doesn't have to deal with the usual shenanigans. Honestly, it's a damn shame that NMM is no longer supported by the Nexus Team, because this is far less preferable to it. Seriously, mod managers have one job, and Vortex doesn't seem to be able provide the necessary convenience that NMM or even FOMM do. Sad, honestly. I'm going back to NMM.

Guest deleted34304850

NMM never automatically resolved anything. it gave you a prompt asking YOU what YOU want to do with a mod conflict.

Cyclic conflicts come from LOOT.

You need to read up on what it is you're trying to do, why it's going wrong and why it's not the fault of Vortex, LOOT or NMM.

NMM never automatically resolved anything. it gave you a prompt asking YOU what YOU want to do with a mod conflict.

You need to read up on what it is you're trying to do, why it's going wrong and why it's not the fault of Vortex, LOOT or NMM.

I'm simply trying to install some patches along side the mod they accompany. I don't otherwise know what I'm doing wrong, and, like I said, this conflict was never even a thing that happened when it was installed through NMM.

Guest deleted34304850

cyclic conflicts come from loot not your mod manager.

at a high level, you've told it to install mod b before mod a and mod a before mod c and mod c before mod b and a and it can't because there is a rule that contradicts what you've told it to do, and the error you're seeing is the mod manager & LOOT telling you that it can't do what you've asked it to do, and you need to understand why there's a conflict and resolve it.

this is nothing to do with vortex or nmm or loot and entirely down to a contradictory sorting rule that you've added. but that's fine - it happens all the time. i'm always doing it when i'm playing around with my load order, and it's easily resolved.

without knowing anything about what game, what mod and what patches you're trying to install, or what rules you've applied which are causing your issues, here's the simplest thing to do;

1. ensure autosorting is enabled in vortex.

2. remove any/all conflicting instructions you've given to your mod and its patches.

3. install the mod

4. install the patches

when they are installed, vortex will autosort them using LOOTs API. deploy the mods (or set auto deploy to enabled), and at that point all you're done.

If you then need to move the plugin for the patches to a particular place in your load order, perhaps lower down, or close to last as possible, you can adjust the group they are assigned to, which in most cases is Default. You can adjust the group for the plugins and assign them to something like Dynamic Patches, which, by default is lower in the group order than Default and that action should ensure that the patches are lower in the order than the mod.

Try that and see how you go.

@ Xcel99 ... and do not make the mistake to download all mods first and then try to resolve mod conflicts ... resolve conflicts as they appear not after your download your entire mod list. It will be easier to resolve as they appear rather than not.

I'm simply trying to install some patches along side the mod they accompany. I don't otherwise know what I'm doing wrong, and, like I said, this conflict was never even a thing that happened when it was installed through NMM.

Patch conflicts are one of the easiest conflicts to resolve because you always have the Patch LOAD AFTER the file it's patching,

(Screenshots may be unrelated to each other, and are used to HIGHLIGHT what buttons to press to reach the screens)

EX:

Vortex-individual-1.jpg

Vortex-Sort-1.jpg

Vortex-Sort-2.jpg