Vortex is busted?

Spydraxis

So I installed this new Mod format and it very politely asked me to be rid of NMM and promised to save all of my mods (which it sorta did), but it never installed any of them, and when I drag and dropped them gave repeated excuses about not being able to install the mods for whatever reason. So now I have to unzip EVERY SINGLE MOD I HAVE manually one by one. All 449 of them...guess how thrilled I am with this new mod manager? I hope in the future it handles downloads from you guys better than it handled porting over the NMM stuff because otherwise, I'll just have to go back to manually doing everything again...in the meantime, my modded games are completely FUBAR...thanks so much.

This is why I will likely never migrate from NMM to Vortex or any other mod manager. Way too much hassle & literally playing Russian roulette with my game installations is not my idea of fun.

Best to do this when you are working with a fresh install of a game. Anything messes up, you're not out of too much.

Guest deleted34304850

how do you know its hassle and "literally" (its figuratively) playing Russian Roulette, if you've not done it?

It's easy if you give yourself time, take backups and understand the process. Really easy.

This is why I will likely never migrate from NMM to Vortex or any other mod manager. Way too much hassle & literally playing Russian roulette with my game installations is not my idea of fun.

If you believe a word of what the OP said about having to manually unzip 449 mods, then you haven't even bothered looking at the Vortex Manual or any of the Videos, because what the OP wasn't true in any way shape or form, neither is what you said based in fact in any way.

So, I'm guessing you just came here to jump on the "let's hate Vortex" bandwagon, seeing as you'll never use Vortex, there's no reason for you to read or post in this part of the forum, correct?

So I installed this new Mod format and it very politely asked me to be rid of NMM and promised to save all of my mods (which it sorta did), but it never installed any of them, and when I drag and dropped them gave repeated excuses about not being able to install the mods for whatever reason. So now I have to unzip EVERY SINGLE MOD I HAVE manually one by one. All 449 of them...guess how thrilled I am with this new mod manager? I hope in the future it handles downloads from you guys better than it handled porting over the NMM stuff because otherwise, I'll just have to go back to manually doing everything again...in the meantime, my modded games are completely FUBAR...thanks so much.

What New Mod "Format" are you talking about?

Mods are uploaded as 7z, zip, or rar.

Care to tell us which games you tried this on?

Because all you had to do was PURGE then DEPLOY them, I don't know why you decided to Drag and Drop them, when that's not what the instruction videos say to do.

You also didn't have to manually unzip any of the mods.

Telling us you manually unzipped all of your mods, let's us all know that you didn't bother reading the Wiki, nor did you watch any of the videos.

Those who play Russian Roulette with their game installations are folk who fail to heed the old adage, "Look before you leap." This forum has an ample number of threads (including this one) started by people who didn't have a clue about Vortex and didn't even attempt to find some clues. If people did look carefully before leaping into a new mod manager, then they would no longer be playing Russian Roulette but Poker with a reasonably strong hand.

After using NMM for several years, I took the Vortex plunge about ten months ago. (Is a vortex something you can "plunge" into? "Leap," maybe? How about "dive into?") However, I didn't do that until I had spent some time on the forums learning what I could about Vortex, since there was no official documentation available back then. I learned the good and the bad. However, I maintained a strong interest in Vortex because of its promising and superior profile capabilities. After weighing the pros and cons, I decided to start a new game with Vortex and then to import an ongoing game that I was finished with.

Using Vortex I set up Fallout 3 with my favorite FO3 mods. I didn't download them because I had saved them to my computer several years ago (I'm a mod hoarder). I installed 66 mods, fiddled with some file conflicts, and set up the tools menu. The whole process took about an hour. I then hit the starter button, and lo and behold! I was back in the Capital Wasteland and racing at full speed to Megaton.

After my FO3 success, I transferred an ongoing Fallout 4 game from NMM to Vortex. The game was a "throwaway" game - I was at level 340 (is she crazy?) and had nothing else to do but kill stuff. I imported 190+ mods from NMM to Vortex. The import process was flawless. I transferred my saves, resolved a few file conflicts, set up my tools menus, and pressed the starter button. Lo and behold! I was back in the Commonwealth killing Raiders. And it had only taken slightly over an hour before I had a chance to take out my first dirty, smelly Raider. (If FO4 had an olfactory option, what do you suppose those Raider dens would smell like?)

The point of my Vortex story is this. I didn't play Russian Roulette, like so many on these forums have done. I educated myself and calculated the odds. I then turned over to Vortex's tender care games whose loss I would not mourn for the rest of my gaming life.

Those who play Russian Roulette with their game installations are folk who fail to heed the old adage, "Look before you leap." This forum has an ample number of threads (including this one) started by people who didn't have a clue about Vortex and didn't even attempt to find some clues. If people did look carefully before leaping into a new mod manager, then they would no longer be playing Russian Roulette but Poker with a reasonably strong hand.

After using NMM for several years, I took the Vortex plunge about ten months ago. (Is a vortex something you can "plunge" into? "Leap," maybe? How about "dive into?") However, I didn't do that until I had spent some time on the forums learning what I could about Vortex, since there was no official documentation available back then. I learned the good and the bad. However, I maintained a strong interest in Vortex because of its promising and superior profile capabilities. After weighing the pros and cons, I decided to start a new game with Vortex and then to import an ongoing game that I was finished with.

Using Vortex I set up Fallout 3 with my favorite FO3 mods. I didn't download them because I had saved them to my computer several years ago (I'm a mod hoarder). I installed 66 mods, fiddled with some file conflicts, and set up the tools menu. The whole process took about an hour. I then hit the starter button, and lo and behold! I was back in the Capital Wasteland and racing at full speed to Megaton.

After my FO3 success, I transferred an ongoing Fallout 4 game from NMM to Vortex. The game was a "throwaway" game - I was at level 340 (is she crazy?) and had nothing else to do but kill stuff. I imported 190+ mods from NMM to Vortex. The import process was flawless. I transferred my saves, resolved a few file conflicts, set up my tools menus, and pressed the starter button. Lo and behold! I was back in the Commonwealth killing Raiders. And it had only taken slightly over an hour before I had a chance to take out my first dirty, smelly Raider. (If FO4 had an olfactory option, what do you suppose those Raider dens would smell like?)

The point of my Vortex story is this. I didn't play Russian Roulette, like so many on these forums have done. I educated myself and calculated the odds. I then turned over to Vortex's tender care games whose loss I would not mourn for the rest of my gaming life.

Great post Augusta. :thumbsup:

From the very first day Vortex was out, I was already hooked and determined to use Vortex as my new mod manager. No instructions, no procedures, only my willingness to make Vortex my new mod manager. I put my entire belief on Tannin and I started to read every single thread in this forum, asking questions directly to Tannin and others who were at the same time, in the same boat I was but were more knowledgeable than me.

I made the decision to use my SkyrimSE as my RAT in the Vortex LAB to experiment with it, to learn it by making mistakes which were not mistakes but a lot of teaching to myself and I kept my Fallout 4 intact in NMM while I was using Skyrim as my sandbag to learn Vortex and this is something I have been advising over and over to those who want to import their entire loving game, directly to Vortex without reading, testing, investigating and watching videos about it.

How many times I tried and "failed" to use Vortex with Skyrim as my rat ? 5, 10 or probably more, I do not remember ... and here is my answer : " I did not fail because I found 5, 10 or more ways NOT TO deal with Vortex " ... till I found the right way and here I am using it without any fuss at all.

Same here.
When I first started with Vortex I didn't read any wiki or watch any Videos (as there were none at the time)
I experimented, but I did so by reinstalling Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.
I figured I could mess around with those, (plus I really felt like playing FONV's DLC, I really enjoy them)

I installed the Steam version of News Vegas, and the GOG version of Fallout 3 (already patched for 4gb, and WIndows Live removed by GOG)
Any problems I had with the two were self-inflicted, and I didn't scapegoat Vortex for MY errors. (FO3 I couldn't create a new game, FONV was a bit crashy, Until I used NVAC, Stutter Remover etc.)

The problems I initially had though, and I was VERY vocal about right here in this forums, was "Manual load ordering", because I came from using Wryebash, Mod Organizer, NMM, FOMM, OBMM, MLOX, etc, where you had to micromanage your esps, and I knew very little, and cared very little about Textures, Meshes and BSA order.

So I initially fought Vortex over everything it did. I wanted all my esps to be in MY order, not Vortex's order, and that's where all of the Cyclic Sorting Problems came in, because I was insisting I knew how to better sort my load order than Vortex did, I would end up with a spider web of cyclic rules, and I would post here angrily about how I "Need" Manual Sorting.

After a month or two of using Vortex it slowly dawned on me that I wasn't getting any conflicts with my ESPs because I had turned on autosort , and instead, the only conflicts were with the actual Textures, Meshes, and BSAs, so it was slow going at first because I was confused as to which mod I was telling to load Before or After, until I realized that the Mod you're telling to load Before or After is in the TITLE of the Conflict Window (Like the screenshot I keep posting), once I realized that, then installing patches became very easy (just click on the red lightning bolt next to the patch, and pick LOAD AFTER), and it also did me good to read the description pages of the mods and read where they say "This mod's textures need to overwrite the textures from that mod"
I also got into the habit of making a "OTHER" directory inside each of my Vortex Downloads\<game>\ folders and copying and pasting specific and very important directions from each mod in text files titled things like "How to override mod A textures with this mod.txt so if the mod is ever taken down, or disappears from the Nexus, I will still have the special instructions that come with it, because "I'm a Mod Hoarder Too" (I have mods on external hard drives that I downloaded years ago)

Once I realized how Vortex worked, and how differently it handles mod management is when I really got to full speed with it.

Now, it's routine for me (Hope I don't get banned for downloading too much too fast) to have about 20 tabs open at once, and click "Download with Vortex" en masse, while my notification section in Vortex says "Mod A Downloaded, 23 More"
Yes, I've had 25 - 45 notifications stacked up in Vortex, and you can easily toggle them out of the way by clicking the Bell icon, and you can toggle them back on the same way.

Then I will install the important and often finicky UI mods first, especially for Fallout New Vegas with Grenade Hotkey, DarNified UI, Immersive HUD, Adjustable Hud, and UIO.

Fast forward to now, and I re-did all my Skyrim SE mods, downloaded them en masse, installed the UI stuff first, then just installed non-stop every other of the 196 mods I downloaded while ignoring the "Conflict" warnings.

Once they were all installed is when I paid attention to the Conflicts. which were quickly resolved because I already knew which textures, meshes need to overwrite others etc.