Add a Torch Effect to a Weapon

livipup

I'm trying to figure out how to make it so that having Dawnbreaker drawn (or maybe just equipped in general, but maybe not since that would cause weirdness when using Equipping Overhaul) will produce light as if the sword is actually shining, kind of like a torch or candlelight. I was checking out some stuff in the CK that I might be able to test out (not so sure they would work), but I can't seem to apply the effect to the weapon. I don't know if light archetype effects can't be applied to weapons or if I messed something else up, but I couldn't get the effect on the sword. Do any of you have experience with this? I know it must be possible to make light emitters equippable to the hands since torches exist and since the wearable lanterns mod lets you hold your lantern in your left hand, but neither of those can be equipped to the right hand. Do any of you have any ideas? I have mods that make my game very dark so it would be helpful if I could get this working.

You could make a custom script that uses an animationevent to register the drawn animation and then make it so when that occurs something like candlelight is cast automatically, and expunged when you sheathe the sword.

Creationkit.com's pages on registering animation events would be a good place to start.

Thanks. I don't know Papyrus so it might be a little tough for me, but I imagine it can't be too different from C#. Just some unique syntax and different prebuilt events and such.

You could make a custom script that uses an animationevent to register the drawn animation and then make it so when that occurs something like candlelight is cast automatically, and expunged when you sheathe the sword.

Creationkit.com's pages on registering animation events would be a good place to start.

I checked out the page you directed me to and despite the documentation being very limited it looks to me as though I'll need to use the WeapEquip_Out event or maybe the weaponDraw event to attach a custom magelight object with no particle effect to the player's hand (or maybe just the player's torso in case someone equips Dawnbreaker to their left hand). That being said, I have no idea how to do that. Do you have any more advice for me? I'm also not sure how to destroy the magelight when the weapon is put away. I don't know if that would be handled automatically or if I would need to worry about that. The page wasn't exactly clear on what each event does.