SKSE64 not working on Skyrim SE

Hermit835

I get this when I create a new character. I Decompressed the original file, then copy/paste both .dll files and the .exe file into

Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition folder

then copy/paste/merge the data folder into the same as the .dll and .exe.

If I'm not mistaken, it's just as the readme and video instructed.

All of my mods are up to date.

Okay, when you unpack the archive, the simplest thing to do is to copy/paste all of the files and folders except the SRC folder (which is only necessary for mod authors) into Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition. In other words, everything goes into the installation directory. Allow the Data folders to merge. That's it. All .dll and .exe files must be in the installation folder, not the Data folder. Then, start the game with the skse64_loader.exe.

Hope this helps. :)

Also, here is Gopher's excellent video on the basics of installing (and running) skse. While six years old, everything in it still applies. It also shows you how to use a mod manager to install (and why you should) as an option.

Hi all

Not happy my Skyrim se, is not working I've updated to the new SKSE 64 build 2.0.12 (runtime 1.5.62).

All is installed in the right place, the game starts to load then just cuts out.

Any ideas what I have done wrong.

Thanks all

Hi allÃÂ

Not happy my Skyrim se, is not working I've updated to the new SKSE 64 build 2.0.12 (runtime 1.5.62).

All is installed in the right place, the game starts to load then just cuts out.

Any ideas what I have done wrong.

Thanks all

I'm in the same boat. I've copied the dll files and the loader, updated my data folder and I've updated all the mods I have that use the Script Extender that have released updates.

LOOT says that everything is up to date and I've sorted the load order at least 3 times

It starts to load and then simply... doesn't. It doesn't even get as far as the Bethesda logo

I checked to see if Skyrim loaded on its own and it does, so it's gotta be the skse loader somehow

Edited by Telcontar86

If you are both CTDing right after the Bethesda logo, you most likely have a mod conflict. Two (or more) mods are either conflicting and/or one (or more) mods are reaching out for a dependency (like a needed patch to accommodate another mod) and you are crashing because of this.

In your mod manager (I'm presuming you're using one) disable (do NOT remove, just disable) all plugins except, Skyrim.esm, Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm, HearthFires.esm, and Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp. Now try to start your game. If it still crashes you have another issue. Possibly a corrupted download of the game or maybe just some files that didn't get properly updated. Try verifying your files through Steam.

Once your game is running, re-enable ten plug-ins (and any needed dependencies for those plug-ins) and try to launch again. When you start crashing again, you've got at least one of your conflicts narrowed down to those ten mods. Re-enable one at a time until you find it. Then read that mod's description thoroughly. Chances are good you'll find why that mod is causing the crash. Either through a conflict or a missing patch.

Some general advice for future mod-list building:

Here are some things you should consider when you add more than a handful of mods:

1) Mod Conflicts. If your Skyrim crashes to the destop (CTD) the moment the loading screen appears, it is very likely you have a mod conflict. Add only one or two mods at a time (and test them) to avoid having to plow through dozens of mods trying to find the one that's causing your game to crash. Also, RTFM. Mod authors WILL tell you what other mods (and/or types of mods) that their mod conflicts with. But that doesn't do you any good if you don't read that info before installing. Sometimes a patch is available to prevent a ctd from happening (or to prevent the mod from conflicting in some other way, like overwriting some scenery and causing weird in-game effects like floating trees and Mammoths raining from the sky. (Yes, that happens.)

2) Overwrites. When NMM installs mods, it will often stop and ask you a question like: "Do you want this mod to install (whatever) over (whatever) that already exists due to (whatever)? with about eight different options. Again, many mod authors will tell you what options to choose when installing their mod. When those instructions are not present, I've found it is usually best to answer "Yes to all" or the equivalent answer offered.

3) Load Order. Load order is literally the order that the mods are loaded into your game. This is just as important as overwrites. A "poor" load order will cause lots of issues ranging from weird in-game effects to CTDs. You can manually alter your load order in the "Plug-In" tab of NMM, but there's a better way. Download LOOT and install it. Point it at your directory where your mods are and let LOOT sort them. Not only will LOOT give you a better load order, but it will warn you about mods that need "cleaning" of dirty edits in them. And you can do that with TES5Edit. (or SSEEDIT for SE.) It's quite simple to use. However, be warned that some mods have INTENTIONAL dirty edits. Cleaning those mods will likely break them. How to know? Simple, the mod author will warn you if his/her mod has deliberate dirty edits.

4 SKSE. SKSE is short for "SKyrim Script Extender." Many popular mods use really cool and helpful interfaces like MCM (Mod Control Menus.) These mods require SKSE to function. Download SKSE and watch Gopher's video (linked in the description at the SKSE site) for what SKSE does exactly and how to install it. Don't worry, Gopher explains it clearly and concisely.

I've checked and double checked, as explained in my original post, everythiing has been installed correctly. I've even wiped the game, mods, everything, and started from scratch. All I have now, is Skyrim SE, SkSE 64, and Racemenu mod. I have done exactly as the video linked has instructed, even made a .rar file. I am still getting the same error.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

possible fix to everyone else getting the crash before the bethesda logo, a new install of skse aint gonna help ya, your problem is in your skyrim directory. Find the folder called SKSE, in it you will likely find another folder called Plugins, delete the SKSE folder. I don't know what it was doing there, because reinstalling SKSE doesn't cause this folder to appear, i think i may have accidentally installed or tried to install SKSE through Vortex with the rest of my .Zip and .rar and .7z files that were in my manual mods installation folder. Either that, or it was put there by one of the mods I was intending to use. If I find out what exactly was doing this, I'll post an edit. Good luck and I hope this helps.