Super New, Super Confused

Chosen215

Can someone help me understand modding a bit better?

I just got DAI (Dragon Age Inquisition) and got the DAI tool thing to start modding. I found where DAI was at and where my mods folder was. I extracted and placed all mods I wanted to use (checked them for incompatibilities), and then I clicked to run my mod manager. Everything appeared in the manager. I just clicked merge and the thing said "task completed successfully". Yet, my game won't launch now.

I also followed a tutorial online where I messed around with the "Update" folder. I had to create a VanillaPatch folder, as well as a Merged folder. After the I rand the manager, I was told to delete the "Patch" folder and rename my Merged folder to "Patch" and then run the game.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am now re-downloading my game.

I assume when you say "DAI tool thing" you mean DAI Mod Manager, not Frosty Mod Manager. Correct?

Personally, I have never had to delete or rename folders in order to get the game to work. If you have not tried doing the merge without the delete/rename thing, try that first, but if you have, then my suspicion is that there is a mod conflict or something of that nature. Can you post the list of mods you're using?

The process you are describing otherwise sounds correct. Just in case there's something you're missing, here's the process I send to friends who are new to modding DAI:

1. Purchase, download and install DAI. Run it once just to make sure it's okay, and to set your graphics settings and options. You shouldn't need to start a game or anything before modding.
  2. Download all mods you want to use, extract them if needed, and choose from the options if there is a multipack file.
  3. Put all of your mods in an easy-to-find folder. Only .daimod files that you actively want to be using should be in that folder. (I keep multiple folders for multiple points in the game, but that's definitely not necessary.)
  4. Download the DAI Tools Suite Loader. Extract it anywhere that's convenient, but not within the same folder as the DAI game or the mods.
  5. Open the loader, and check the box for Mod Manager.
  6. Click Download All Selected. When that's done, click Launch.
  7. It will bring up a filepath box. Navigate to the DAI EXE file.
  8. Next to Mod Path, click Browse, and then navigate to the folder where you put all your mods.
  9. Your mods should appear in the list. Click Merge.
  10. You will probably get a ton of errors, but most won't cause too many issues. Pay attention to any that say one mod overwrote another, as that means they are incompatible.
  11. When it's done, close ModManager and run the game.

If that is the process that you used, then something else is going on.

I just saw on your other thread that you were also interested in how to change mods partway through the game. Fortunately, it's pretty easy. Literally all you have to do is save the game, close, shuffle your mods around, open ModManager, re-merge, and open the game again.

As I alluded to before, I actually put together multiple mod folders for different parts of the game. Before I start a new game, I create a folder for Haven, Skyhold, Halamshiral, and the endgame, plus one for the Black Emporium since 95% of mods won't work in there. I switch these throughout the game at certain points, allowing me to make use of several different face/hair/clothes mods for my character and each companion/adviser, plus getting rid of mods that aren't needed at that point in the game to reduce stress on my hardware, and other changes. I do this for friends before they start games, as well.

Having separate, pre-made folders makes changing mods easy, because instead of actually moving around the mods in your mod folder, you just point DAI Mod Manager to a different folder entirely, and everything is ready to go. But if all you want to do is add in new mods later, just dump them in your mod folder and re-merge.

Please note that the DLCs don't like mods and not all of them work with DLCs. Most mod pages have a note as to whether they will work as intended, not work but not crash the game, or crash the game in certain DLCs. The Black Emporium is the perfect example - the vast majority of visual mods will not show up inside the Black Emporium, and many will crash it. My Black Emporium folder is literally my eyebrow replacer mod and nothing else, lol.

All of this pertains to DAI Mod Manager, btw. I don't use Frosty so I can't help you with that.

I assume when you say "DAI tool thing" you mean DAI Mod Manager, not Frosty Mod Manager. Correct?

Personally, I have never had to delete or rename folders in order to get the game to work. If you have not tried doing the merge without the delete/rename thing, try that first, but if you have, then my suspicion is that there is a mod conflict or something of that nature. Can you post the list of mods you're using?

The process you are describing otherwise sounds correct. Just in case there's something you're missing, here's the process I send to friends who are new to modding DAI:

1. Purchase, download and install DAI. Run it once just to make sure it's okay, and to set your graphics settings and options. You shouldn't need to start a game or anything before modding.
  2. Download all mods you want to use, extract them if needed, and choose from the options if there is a multipack file.
  3. Put all of your mods in an easy-to-find folder. Only .daimod files that you actively want to be using should be in that folder. (I keep multiple folders for multiple points in the game, but that's definitely not necessary.)
  4. Download the DAI Tools Suite Loader. Extract it anywhere that's convenient, but not within the same folder as the DAI game or the mods.
  5. Open the loader, and check the box for Mod Manager.
  6. Click Download All Selected. When that's done, click Launch.
  7. It will bring up a filepath box. Navigate to the DAI EXE file.
  8. Next to Mod Path, click Browse, and then navigate to the folder where you put all your mods.
  9. Your mods should appear in the list. Click Merge.
  10. You will probably get a ton of errors, but most won't cause too many issues. Pay attention to any that say one mod overwrote another, as that means they are incompatible.
  11. When it's done, close ModManager and run the game.

If that is the process that you used, then something else is going on.

I am new to installing mods in DAI and I have similar problems. Following your instructions without any error message but not able to see the changes in my game.

One question that come to my mind. Should I start a new game?

I will like to add extra info. I try with the Mod Manager 0.59 alpha. I think is the last one.

First i try to select where the installer is located:

p.png?size=1600x1200&size_mode=3

Then to select the mod folder. In this case i have two mods but i try only with the fonty mod georgia file.

Then I click merge

I receive this messages in the log:

As i result i see a new folder in the update folder:

if I then i run the game i don't see the new font apply (should appear in the menu or even entering my save game didn't appear). I try to rename the Patch_modmanagermerge folder to Patch and renaming Patch to Patch_original didn't work too.

I don't know. I am missing something in the process?

Thank you for everyone in advance.

1.png?dl=01.png?dl=0

@jascmm - I think your picture links are broken, can you try re-posting them?

I don't know what happen with my links.

Anyway I found out that the problem was that the 'fonty' mod I was installing has only English support. And that's why I didn't get anything when I started the game.

Thanks anyway.