NVSE breaks my game in a weird way

GarbearFar

I hope this is the right place any-who, Hello all, NVSE is causing a strange game breaking bug.

- Anytime i install NVSE a bunch of buildings textures and NPCs disappear

- The game runs at 1 fps, esc menu doesn't work, mouse movement is still there after a huge delay, doesn't soft-lock or hard crash.

- NV is on a NVME ssd but even on a SATA SSD or HDD it has no effect even after entire reinstall.

- I've scrubbed everything(Cloud saves, My Games folder) multiple times and got rid of NMM entirely to try Vortex(which i haven't touched yet).

- Game runs fine after fresh install just as soon as i try to add NVSE it breaks.

- I had the game heavily modded (~50 mods, enb, could play for about 3 hours before hard crash) a while ago, so decided for a clean install and a new run but this bug has stopped that for the moment.

- Reinstalled NV, and got a fresh NVSE file from the site about 6-7 times, each and every time NVSE causes a problem

I absolutely love NV and the challenge of modding it, however without mods the game loses me as its age shows and i miss my graphics more than i care to admit. I've searched everywhere and no one seems to have the same problem. This is my last Hoorah to see if anyone on Nexus can help. Been modding for two years so i know the more info i give the better my chances. There should be a picture of the game attached where I'm on the porch of the prospector saloon, if not ill post an imgur link.

Windows 10

I7-7700k

16 Gb ram

GTX 1080

WD Black 256gb NVME SSD(Not my boot drive)

FNV Ultimate Edition from Steam

Thank you for any help or advice you may have

Edited by GarbearFar

So, when you installed NVSE you followed the Install instructions in the NVSE zip file, and made sure that you:

[ Installation ]
1. Copy the .dll and .exe files to your Fallout NV directory. This is usually in your Program Files folder under Steam\SteamApps\common\fallout new vegas\. If you see files named FalloutNV.exe and FalloutNVLauncher.exe, this is the correct folder. Do not copy these files to the Data folder as with a normal mod. The "src" folder is only useful for modders, most users can ignore it.
2. Launch NV via running nvse_loader.exe. Enabling the Steam Community option (enabled by default) will allow you to launch the game via Steam's standard UI.
And that you are starting Fallout New Vegas by double clicking on "Nvse_Loader.exe?

NVSE is just a "DLL" library of "script extensions" to the game engine which only get used by mods which call on that library. By itself, it won't break your game and has been in extensive use by virtually every player of the game since it was released. So we have to look elsewhere for your problem. But first let's make sure you installed NVSE correctly and it is working. Please see 'Checklist Item #4' entry of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

We REALLY need to see your sorted "load order" as produced by "LOOT"; to include the main game and DLC files. With modded games its the sequence, not merely the list of mods, which is the cause of many problems. LOOT's sort gives a good first approximation, correcting the most obvious issues and is sufficient for most players. You can make minor adjustments to the order and tell LOOT how to remember them. It's in the documentation under "Metadata". Instructions on how to copy it's list for posting are in the "How to ask for help" article, and "Checklist Item #11' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

* See "How to markup images (etc) in forum posts and comments" article for how to use "Spoiler tags".

The following entries in the wiki 'Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting' guide specifically address known Win10 problems:
* 'Issue: NVSE - fails to load after update KB4058043 to Win10 FCU (v1709)'
* 'Issue: Incomplete save game load' (NVSR related)
* 'Issue: Vanilla game Hangs on startup'; specifically "Cause-1" regarding DirectX9 drivers.
* 'Issue: "Full screen mode" exhibits CTDs and stutters or micro-stutters'
* 'Issue: Recent (post-Win10 FCU) CTDs after 10-20 minutes of play'
* 'Issue: Lag or "micro stutters" even with "New Vegas Stutter Remover" installed (or not)'. In particular "Cause-4" regarding video card settings. The latest video drivers may not be the best suited to an older game like FNV. All vendors drop testing of old games at some point. Backwards compatibility is never guaranteed, much less "optimization".
Also, "Cause-7" regarding "Superfetch" and "File search indexing". Windows updates will often reset these back on.
* 'Issue: Win10 Screen tearing in "Borderless Windowed Mode"'
* 'Issue: ENB Support for Windows versions later than Win7'
* 'Issue: Problems using ENB/SweetFx on Windows 10'

I recommend you read the entire "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article to understand the differences between this game and others you may have experience with; especially if your previous attempt to mod FNV was without the help of such a guide or it's been more than a year since you last did so. The "Common Problems" section alone solves most "getting started" problems.

-Dubious-

So, when you installed NVSE you followed the Install instructions in the NVSE zip file, and made sure that you:

[ Installation ]
1. Copy the .dll and .exe files to your Fallout NV directory. This is usually in your Program Files folder under Steam\SteamApps\common\fallout new vegas\. If you see files named FalloutNV.exe and FalloutNVLauncher.exe, this is the correct folder. Do not copy these files to the Data folder as with a normal mod. The "src" folder is only useful for modders, most users can ignore it.
2. Launch NV via running nvse_loader.exe. Enabling the Steam Community option (enabled by default) will allow you to launch the game via Steam's standard UI.
And that you are starting Fallout New Vegas by double clicking on "Nvse_Loader.exe?

Yes every time, i have taken care to make sure NVSE is installed correctly and always launch through Nvse_loader. I have even deleted the previous unpacked NVSE folders and gotten fresh ones from Silverlock.

Edited by GarbearFar

That's just the lod textures not unloading. It's caused by some sort of interaction between the game and your computer, not NVSE.

This is good to know thank you. Do you have any idea what exactly might be the cause? After a fresh install the game runs fine but its only after NVSE is in the directory that i get the problem. The problem has been around for a few months i believe but idk if a previous update of my drivers was the cause or which drivers might be the conflict.

Edited by GarbearFar

NVSE is just a "DLL" library of "script extensions" to the game engine which only get used by mods which call on that library. By itself, it won't break your game and has been in extensive use by virtually every player of the game since it was released. So we have to look elsewhere for your problem. But first let's make sure you installed NVSE correctly and it is working. Please see 'Checklist Item #4' entry of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

We REALLY need to see your sorted "load order" as produced by "LOOT"; to include the main game and DLC files. With modded games its the sequence, not merely the list of mods, which is the cause of many problems. LOOT's sort gives a good first approximation, correcting the most obvious issues and is sufficient for most players. You can make minor adjustments to the order and tell LOOT how to remember them. It's in the documentation under "Metadata". Instructions on how to copy it's list for posting are in the "How to ask for help" article, and "Checklist Item #11' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

* See "How to markup images (etc) in forum posts and comments" article for how to use "Spoiler tags".

The following entries in the wiki 'Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting' guide specifically address known Win10 problems:

* 'Issue: NVSE - fails to load after update KB4058043 to Win10 FCU (v1709)'

* 'Issue: Incomplete save game load' (NVSR related)

* 'Issue: Vanilla game Hangs on startup'; specifically "Cause-1" regarding DirectX9 drivers.

* 'Issue: "Full screen mode" exhibits CTDs and stutters or micro-stutters'

* 'Issue: Recent (post-Win10 FCU) CTDs after 10-20 minutes of play'

* 'Issue: Lag or "micro stutters" even with "New Vegas Stutter Remover" installed (or not)'. In particular "Cause-4" regarding video card settings. The latest video drivers may not be the best suited to an older game like FNV. All vendors drop testing of old games at some point. Backwards compatibility is never guaranteed, much less "optimization".

Also, "Cause-7" regarding "Superfetch" and "File search indexing". Windows updates will often reset these back on.

* 'Issue: Win10 Screen tearing in "Borderless Windowed Mode"'

* 'Issue: ENB Support for Windows versions later than Win7'

* 'Issue: Problems using ENB/SweetFx on Windows 10'

I recommend you read the entire "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article to understand the differences between this game and others you may have experience with; especially if your previous attempt to mod FNV was without the help of such a guide or it's been more than a year since you last did so. The "Common Problems" section alone solves most "getting started" problems.

-Dubious-

NVSE is properly installed every time because its been the problem i have taken great care in triple checking that every thing is in the right place and always launching from NVSE_Loader. Also on the main menu the command "GetNVSEVersion" always gives back the correct message "NVSE Version: 5".

My LOOT Load order: https://imgur.com/gallery/2El0JAp

It has been a few months since i last modded so ill be sure to look at the guide. There is a thing i have noticed even after a completely fresh install in the pip boy ill grab a pic of it once it reinstalls.

All I see in that load order is the vanilla game and DLC files. None of them invoke NVSE. Do you have a "steam_loader log" (in the game root folder)? If so, does it report any error?

But wait until you have been through the previously linked suggestions. They will all help your overall game and their cumulative effect may be sufficient to resolve your issues.

-Dubious-