I just can't get mods to load, no matter what.

StormHUN

SOLUTION: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7227221-i-just-cant-get-mods-to-load-no-matter-what/page-3&do=findComment&comment=66048831

I've read dozens of articles, forum threads and tutorials (including: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Fallout_4_Mod_Installation ) but no matter what I just can't get mods to load.

I'm trying to do it manually because Vortex just keeps crashing.

I have added the Archive section to my Fallout4Custom.ini:

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

Some sources said to instead of empty, set the data dirs value to:

sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\

I tried both.

I tried to add the Launcher line to either Fallout4Prefs.ini, Fallout4Custom.ini or both:

bEnableFileSelection=1

When I tried Vortex it generated loadorder.txt and plugins.txt in USER/Local/Fallout4 and populated them - according to several sources plugins.txt should actually be instead in USER/AppData/Local/Fallout4 so copied them there. I also copied them directly to the Fallout 4 install folder in steamapps. No luck. I added and removed asterisks in front of the mods in both files and each locations, no luck.

When I renamed loadorder.txt and plugins.txt in both USER/Local/Fallout4 and USER/AppData/Local/Fallout4 and launched the game, loaded a save, then quit to desktop, no new plugins.txt was generated in either locations.

I have really tried absolutely everything, and by all means they should be working, so I really don't know what else to do. :sad: I'm frustrated and sad.

Edited by StormHUN

yup ... I guess since last patch ... can't load saved games ...

... started new ones ... save ... exit game entirely ... wont load ... crashes .... no mods ... all mods ...dont matter. Really thought I was doin something wrong ... but seeing the comments now here on this forum ... looks to be game. ><

yup ... I guess since last patch ... can't load saved games ...

... started new ones ... save ... exit game entirely ... wont load ... crashes .... no mods ... all mods ...dont matter. Really thought I was doin something wrong ... but seeing the comments now here on this forum ... looks to be game. ><

Erm... I think you either misread or you replied to the wrong thread.

I don't have any crashes, my problem is that mods are simply not taking effect.

Are you new? I mean, new to playing F4? Or, at least new to modding F4?

MANY of us can no longer use mods since the last 'patch' (re: force-fed, sub-par microcharge garbage), buuuut... our systems were already setup for modding and had been modding. We just can't do it anymore. The mods show up (because we already had them there), but we can't save any of that data.

I'm glad you posted, because if you are new to this, then that's indicative that Bethesda DEFINITELY changed something in the game that will no longer allow mods that didn't come from Bethesda.net. My game will load and save mods from there, but NOT from anywhere else.

Now, thanks to you, I am back to thinking they really are trying to force all the true Fallout fans away from F4 and on to their latest schlock.

Guest deleted34304850

not sure what you're talking about - the last patch didn't do anytihng. f4se had an issue, which was corrected - but other than that everything is still working as it should be. stop posting nonsense.

I've read dozens of articles, forum threads and tutorials (including: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Fallout_4_Mod_Installation ) but no matter what I just can't get mods to load.

Some sources said to instead of empty, set the data dirs value to:

sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\

I tried both.

When I tried Vortex it generated loadorder.txt and plugins.txt in USER/Local/Fallout4 and populated them - according to several sources plugins.txt should actually be instead in USER/AppData/Local/Fallout4 so copied them there. I also copied them directly to the Fallout 4 install folder in steamapps. No luck. I added and removed asterisks in front of the mods in both files and each locations, no luck.

When I renamed loadorder.txt and plugins.txt in both USER/Local/Fallout4 and USER/AppData/Local/Fallout4 and launched the game, loaded a save, then quit to desktop, no new plugins.txt was generated in either locations.

I have really tried absolutely everything, and by all means they should be working, so I really don't know what else to do. :sad: I'm frustrated and sad.

Good lord, stop listening to terrible advice, and please don't blame your Vortex for this.

What you described what you've done is a complete nightmare at this point and I think you should uninstall everything and start over from scratch and follow the Vortex Tutorials and the Wiki guides.

I don't know who or where you're getting your information from, but all of that you listed above is a complete mess, no wonder you can't get mods working.

Please, uninstall everything and start from scratch, and delete those extraneous plugin.txts and loadorder.txt from every folder you wrongly put them in, and start clean.

Please.

not sure what you're talking about - the last patch didn't do anytihng. f4se had an issue, which was corrected - but other than that everything is still working as it should be. stop posting nonsense.

So all the people that can no longer run the game - even after updating everything and trying everything they can possibly think of - must be halucinating, right, because YOUR GAME is working correctly?

Out of curiosity, are you running Windows 10? I am trying to get to the bottom of this, and I've yet to find a single common denominator. I think it might be a combination of things, because every time I think I've found the culprit, there are still some people who can run the game with the 'thing' I've set my sights on. There is some sort of conflict somewhere.

And today I plan to prove all the people who insist "there is no problem" wrong. Right now I am playing, and the game is running great. Not only are all the mods I've gotten from the CC and Bethesda.net working exactly as they should, so are a few others... ones that I manually installed. This is very telling. Because a bunch of Vortex users had problems initially, I was discounting MM2, but perhaps those people were all still using the outdated F4SE, or some-such, and although they were having similar problems, it wasn't the SAME problem. Thus, I am starting to look back at MM2 itself as the culprit (although that may just be a byproduct - apparently if I start the game any other way aside from Steam itself, I run into problems).

Now back to my investigations...

Guest deleted34304850

hi, i dont speak for all the people, neither do you. i speak for me, and i can assure you, the game works. i work on facts, not fallacy, not nonsense like 'people are hallucinating'.

you are posting utter nonsense, please stop doing that. its not an unreasonable request.

Yes, the game works if you happen to have a setup it works on. A lot of people don't. A lot of people have been having problems, and that's a fact. nearly all of these problems first started occurring immediately AFTER the 'update' by Bethesda. Also, a fact. I like facts. Its the only way I am going to get to the bottom of this.

I am not even really blaming Bethesda (aside from the fact they are breaking people's game for no real reason, since these are not 'patches', they are 'cash grabs'). Now, if I were crazy, everyone would just agree I am crazy and have a good laugh. People only get defensive about something when they are afraid they're may be a grain of truth in it. :wink:

But its looking more and more like its a byproduct of that update, not the update itself. I can get my game to run fine right now, so long as I do not start it through a Mod Organizer. Once I figure out why that is, I will try to help everyone else with the problem (although there are slight variances in the problems depending on your precise setup).

Looks like I need to clarify a few things:

In the past I've successfully modded Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3 several times, and always manually, without any issue whatsoever. I never used Mod Manager or any other tool. But for F4, I got the game just a few days ago, and I'm trying to mod it for the first time.

However Fallout 4 seems to work differently than the previous titles, and following the manual method simply does nothing. So as a last resort I tried Vortex for the first time ever, but to put simply Vortex does not work on my system, and won't work any time soon due to technical limitations.

The game itself works for the most parts, but the mods/plugins simply seem to be not loaded by the game at all - supported by the fact that the game does not generate a plugins.txt or anything similar, and inside the game the Plugins menu only lists the official Steam DLCs.

Vortex has nothing to do with this. It was just something I tried as a last resort when all the manual modding attempts failed.

Edited by StormHUN