When I change profiles I lose my save games - Skyrim

Quebrachoman

@rmm200 I had tried everything that everyone else had suggested and everything looked like it was supposed to but it just wasn't working. The saves would be the correct profile in Vortex but game was only reading the global saves. I double checked the ini and it was correct. Then I performed a purge and redeployed and suddenly Skyrim SE was reading my profile saves again. Thanks for the suggestion. It helped. And for the record it sounds a little buggy to me.

@rmm200 I had tried everything that everyone else had suggested and everything looked like it was supposed to but it just wasn't working. The saves would be the correct profile in Vortex but game was only reading the global saves. I double checked the ini and it was correct. Then I performed a purge and redeployed and suddenly Skyrim SE was reading my profile saves again. Thanks for the suggestion. It helped. And for the record it sounds a little buggy to me.

You may be right that this is a bug. I have reported it as such to the development team.

In my dealings with this problem, I've discovered if I stay with one profile and don't switch to another profile or game, then the profile saves will load whenever I play the game. However, if I switch and then return to the profile, I have to purge and redeploy to recover the saves (just like you, I learned that from rmm200).

Before implementing rmm200's advice (may his fame spread throughout the Kingdom of Vortex), I made a backup of my global saves, since they were supposed to be my profile saves. I then copied those saves into my profile saves folder and deleted the global saves. I'm not sure what, if anything, that accomplished besides making me feel better!

It is a bit confusing because the game only shows you the save games for the character you last played (Skyrim) unless you choose "Show all Saves", while Vortex shows you all the saves for that profile (if you enabled profile specific save games).

That being said, always hit deploy mods (manually) after switching a profile - this should update the saves (and move them to the correct folder).

You really can't count on the user running Deploy after switching profiles. It has to be automatic, and part of the switching process.

Another way this shows up is the error "Plugins can not be sorted because xxx is not valid". That error does come out as part of switching, and it is due to no Deploy.

User does not even have the chance to prevent that error.

You really can't count on the user running Deploy after switching profiles. It has to be automatic, and part of the switching process.

Another way this shows up is the error "Plugins can not be sorted because xxx is not valid". That error does come out as part of switching, and it is due to no Deploy.

I did, in fact, show the issue to one of the Vortex devs yesterday. I am just saying that running deploy after switching profiles will update your save games. You are correct that this is not ideal (nor is it intended to be that way).

As for the "Plugins cannot be sorted because XXX is not valid" that is a known issue with the current build and should be safe to ignore.

I did, in fact, show the issue to one of the Vortex devs yesterday. I am just saying that running deploy after switching profiles will update your save games. You are correct that this is not ideal (nor is it intended to be that way).

As for the "Plugins cannot be sorted because XXX is not valid" that is a known issue with the current build and should be safe to ignore.

Thanks! Glad it is being looked at.

Bit of additional information: The invalid esp/esm for sorting seems to reflect a plugin that was not present in the previous profile.

The reason I have so many profiles is I use them to mix / match plugins. I have one stable base profile I clone all new ones from.

Ah, this is an interesting thing to read, if this is true for all the Bethesda games upto FO4, then do any of the script extenders allow for fixing this, or other solutions? Before using vortex I used the console saving thing a lot to make savegames easier to find. But then I didn't have profiles in my mod manager:)

[General]
SLocalSavePath=Saves\xehrjktyre76\
-OR-
SLocalSavePath=Saves\djflkerut879\

This is how all the Savegame Managers for Bethesda games work.

The problem can stem from using the Console and typing "Savegame <savegame name>" because Bethesda games will put those saves back out into the main savegame folder.

Ah, this is an interesting thing to read, if this is true for all the Bethesda games upto FO4, then do any of the script extenders allow for fixing this, or other solutions? Before using vortex I used the console saving thing a lot to make savegames easier to find. But then I didn't have profiles in my mod manager:)

[General]
SLocalSavePath=Saves\xehrjktyre76\
-OR-
SLocalSavePath=Saves\djflkerut879\

This is how all the Savegame Managers for Bethesda games work.

The problem can stem from using the Console and typing "Savegame <savegame name>" because Bethesda games will put those saves back out into the main savegame folder.

As noted - I use profiles - a lot.

Every time I want a known checkpoint, I use the console to create a named save: "save xxx".

I have never had a problem with the named save going to General instead of my profile local saves. SKSE extension is fine too.

Every hundred saves or so - I also use Vortex to block delete all the saves between my named ones.