I got a message today telling me I have an invalid staging file because it is in my game directory. Even though it has been working for a long time, I only got the message today. So I tried to change the directory, but every time Vortex would ask me to give access to a certain file. I did give it every time but it doesn't work and I would get a message telling me Vortex doesn't have access. What I did was reboot my laptop every time, afterwards the file in question would somehow be deleted.

After several times, the mods are finally moving. But this time I'm told directories are not writable. I've tried different files in different drivers, it never works.

My system is win10.

Please help!

I got a message today telling me I have an invalid staging file because it is in my game directory. Even though it has been working for a long time, I only got the message today. So I tried to change the directory, but every time Vortex would ask me to give access to a certain file. I did give it every time but it doesn't work and I would get a message telling me Vortex doesn't have access. What I did was reboot my laptop every time, afterwards the file in question would somehow be deleted.

After several times, the mods are finally moving. But this time I'm told directories are not writable. I've tried different files in different drivers, it never works.

My system is win10.

Please help!

It's because the author of Vortex found out that a lot of the problems people were having in the forums was because they for whatever reason, put their Mod and Staging folder INSIDE their game directory which is very bad.

So he changed the program so it makes you move the directory outside of the game folder into it's own directory.

So make an empty folder on the same drive as the game, but OUTSIDE of the Steam directory, and change it in Vortex.

Where have you decided to move your staging directory that Vortex is telling you the Directory is "not writable"?

(Please don't say your DESKTOP)

My system is win10.

Please help!

It's because the author of Vortex found out that a lot of the problems people were having in the forums was because they for whatever reason, put their Mod and Staging folder INSIDE their game directory which is very bad.

So he changed the program so it makes you move the directory outside of the game folder into it's own directory.

So make an empty folder on the same drive as the game, but OUTSIDE of the Steam directory, and change it in Vortex.

Where have you decided to move your staging directory that Vortex is telling you the Directory is "not writable"?

(Please don't say your DESKTOP)

I created multiple folders in D drive and E drive but none of them worked.

Same issue here. Only just installed Vortex today and it's being extremely problematic. I set up a folder like this: D:\Program Files (x86)\VortexMods\FalloutNV for my New Vegas mods and it's saying that the directory isn't writable, when it so obviously is. Keeps wanting te default back to either a folder on my SSD (Don;t want it using that) or back to D:\Program Files (x86)\VortexMods\ which means all mods for all games would be dumped in the same folder (not a fan of that)

EDIT: Moved my folders a few times and finally got it working

Edited by Thomas5020