Getting Rid of Mama Murphy

asterlacnala

There is a lot of joking about how, despite the fact that you are supposed to be looking for your lost son, you spend an awful lot of time on random other stuff. This actually bothers me. I like immersion! I typically use a mod like Start Me Up to be some other Vault Dweller, so it isn't my son that has been kidnapped... but I would actually like to play the part of Shaun's parent, to feel more connected to the main quest.

Seems I run into one of two problems when I try this. One, I either do exactly what the jokes say, get bogged down in side quests, and accept that it makes little sense that I have apparently abandoned my child when I know where to go. Or, I play the parent well, go straight to Diamond City, and... often find myself outgunned because I'm too low in level and equipment for the stuff I'm running into. By the time I realize I'm very outmatched I'm dead.

And yesterday it hit me - what is really needed is some way to delay information on where to go next. With no clue on how to find Shaun, there is no RP reason to abandon Preston, run off to Diamond City ASAP, so you might as well help the settlers out while determining some long term solution. And who is it that tells you to go to DC? That jet-huffing old woman...

If you get rid of Mama Murphy, you would actually add to the game's immersion. You now have a reason to stay for a time, until you get some info leading you to Diamond City... at which point you can be directed to Valentine and progress as normal.

Another alternative would be to have some way of warning your character of the dangers near DC - something like, "Diamond City? Yeah, you could probably find help there... but that's a rough trip, place is surrounded by supermutants. I wouldn't go without a lot of preparation." But since that method would require some voice acting, getting rid of the nearly useless NPC would seem to me to be the better option.

As far as I can tell, you are simply not given that choice. You deal with the initial deathclaw, go in to talk to Preston, he says his bit, and she just butts in to the conversation. You can treat her like she's a drug crazed addlepate... except she has already proven herself with the deathclaw, when she "saw something angry coming" - and even if you skip that, she still knows you are looking for your son before you say that. So you have a reason to believe her visions.

Found this video that shows the relevant scene: https://youtu.be/wH56WysPIFA?t=168

It's really late here now (or really early depending on how you look at it) but I'll check out some of the alternative conversation options (like, the lying one) later. But unless you kill the Deathclaw and then ignore the settlers altogether, you will talk to Mama Murphy. Unless... she has an OD right there. ;-)

I have managed to talk to Preseton by the bridge and do all the MM quests without ever engaging with the old woman.

If that's not a happy path then the console will solve the issue [ 0001a4d9.disable ] job done.

0001a4d9

Guest deleted34304850

i want to applaud you for the use of the word "addlepate". there isn't enough kudos in the world for that masterful phrase.

I have managed to talk to Preseton by the bridge and do all the MM quests without ever engaging with the old woman.

If that's not a happy path then the console will solve the issue [ 0001a4d9.disable ] job done.

0001a4d9

I will give this a try, see how it plays out.

i want to applaud you for the use of the word "addlepate". there isn't enough kudos in the world for that masterful phrase.

Haha, thank you!

Just feed her drugs

This would be out of character for (most) of my playthroughs and doesn't resolve the problem of her being the one to push you to Diamond City.

Honestly you wouldn't even need to remove her, just trigger that conversation much later, and it would work as well. Hmm... this might inspire me to learn to mod dialogue... so far I have only done fairly simple stuff with FO4Edit.

When you first get to concord, shoot Preston when he tells you to help with the raiders. Then leave back to codsworth and you can say "Concord was overrun by raiders".

*Edit* You don't actually have to shoot Preston, but you should anyway

Edited by PhanomGames