Hitting the Books quest bug

Meandmine

I was playing through Under Saarthal or whatever that quest is called and went to get the next one. Finished it fine, got it completed, etc, no problem. Savos Aren tells me to go talk to Urag, still no problem. Then the quest Hitting the Book doesn't start, Urag doesn't have any extra dialogue options, the quest can't be received, progress permanently blocked. I don't know if this is a mod making this unplayable or something I did, but it's made progress impossible and I've spent way too much time on this character to give up on her now. I also don't know if it's possible to fix it with console commands, but all the console commands I've found help with quests that are already started, not ones that can't be started.

try talking to Savos again and ask him what to do next to see if that nudges the quest along

2 possible solutions with the console

first try "setstage MG03 30" ( without the " " )

if that doesn't progress the quest to looking for the books try this

in the arcanum, open the console and enter all three of these commands in this order

0001C1B4 recycleactor

0001C1B4 enable

0001C1B4 moveto player

this should reset Urag and get him to give you the next stage of the quest

I've tried the "setstage MG03 30" before, but it only works if you actually have the quest. The other console commands had some problems. First: the "0001c1b4" has to be at the end of the line, the command itself has to be first. Second: for the last two commands it said 0001cc1b4 was unknown variable.

ok, UESP said that was the code for Urag

try this instead

open console and click on Urag to select him in console then type recycleactor then hit enter, then enable then hit enter then moveto player then enter and close console.

if you had Urag selected this will reset him and move him to you. you may need to wait around a bit for him to advance the quest.

also, out of curiosity, do you have the Helm of Winterhold quest active?

I know that having the Helm in your inventory can bork some quests and stop NPCs from having the right dialogue options

I don't need to progress the quest, I need to start it. It is supposed to start immediately after completing Under Saarthal, but for me it doesn't, which means setstage won't help, and Urag doesn't have the dialogue at all because the quest isn't active, and therefore resetting him won't help. And no, I don't have the Helm of Winterhold.

have you spoken to Mirabelle?

try speaking to her.

if you go straight from Savos to Urag you haven't done the steps in order

as for the quest not being started, if you are meant to be talking to Urag the quest has started

stage 10 objective: speak with Mirabelle

stage 20 objective: speak with Urag

the above is from UESP

did you try recycleactor on Urag by selecting him with the console open? (I find I have to then use the enable and moveto player commands to get a recycled actor to reappear)

if that doesn't work, in the console, try resetting all stages of Under Saarthal using resetquest MG02 then completing it using player.setstage MG02 70 and talking to Savos again.

hopefully that will get the quests back on track.

have a look on the descriptions for the mods you have to see whether any have similar known bugs

also, you said you don't have the helm, but have you started that quest?

you might have to find and return the helm before other quests can trigger.

Edited by mighty zog

Quest commands are kind of hit and miss. Sometimes, you resetquest and then setstage and it reappears. Sometimes, the quest is just dead, and nothing can bring it back. Sometimes, quests depend in some strange way on another quest (for example, if you do the Wolf Quest after you disable the main quest, the 2nd part of the Wolf Queen will never appear).

The only real solution is to keep saves of every significant recent event for your character and revert to an old one if things go wrong.