Hitting the Books quest bug

Meandmine

I had this happen just yesterday, on my second playthrough of this quest line. I had to go to a previously unused text choice (something along the lines of, "You're pretty serious about this place..."), before he would mention that some books had wandered off the reservation, and I needed to go find them...

• 4 weeks later...
Oh, right. I forgot. 1.6 also introduced a LOT of dialog bugs that they haven't bothered fixing yet. Here's one I noticed the other day in the Ragged Flagon: If you're talking to someone, they can force-quit the conversation if another NPC begins talking to them. How messed up is that?

I asked this posts poster about what mod/s conflicted, and Deus Mons atleast was one. He/She needed to run a whole new game with ALL mods unactive to fix. I did try deleting only Deus Mons and made new game but appparently it didn't help. I guess I must just leave college undone, unless someone finds solution.

EDIT: Later today I tested some more things with console. I used completequest to Hitting the books and setstage to Good Intentions to get it start, it worked. Good Intentions worked normally and next quest triggered after that. However, I don't have the Eye of Magnus at Hall of Elements, which might cause something later, but atleast I got to continue quests. Totally skipped that one quest though.

Edited by dragaloa

for what its worth, just fyi about getting quest 'Hitting the Books' to start, like baddxian was hinting at,

i also remember needing to engage Mirabelle Ervine in conversation several times and deliberately make sure i went thru

every one of her available dialog menu options i could find before the quest would be created in my journal.

i vaguely remember speaking with her being alittle tricky to get the quest started for some reason.

also, i don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, if you previously cleared Fellglow Keep then this quest

may be broken.

I may have a theory on why this quest won't start for you. I had the same problem before. Do you by any chance have the mod Better Whiterun 7k under construction? This mod does make hitting the books quest not start. If you don't you may want to try re-installing skyrim if you tried the all the Console commands methods already.

• 2 months later...
I had the same problem and removed the mods druidism skill tree and northwind cottage; a winterhold home and then it worked (I have a lot of other mods running still, I was really pleasantly surprised that randomly removing those two allowed hitting the books to start). Hope that might help someone.