Hitting the Books quest bug

Meandmine

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
<p>Does the maker of the Better Whiterun mod know his mod somehow hinders the Mages Guild questline? I'd like to know just how the heck changes to Whiterun affect the chief librarian of the College of Winterhold...</p> Edited by Evil Count Proteus

Hey. I created an account just to post this. I have many, many mods installed, and I was having this same issue. I would finish Under Saarthal, talk to Savos, and Hitting the Books would not start. I tried startquest, resetquest, setstage, talking to Mirabelle, talking to Urag, talking to the Arch Mage again. Nothing worked. What finally did work was my loading up my current save with every mod except the mods that affected my current character (alternate start, wrath of nature, anything that added a quest or item(s) that I currently had in my journal or inventory) deactivated. I then made a separate save of that, the "Lite Mod" version. I typed "startquest mg03" into the console, and voila. After that, I saved, exited, reactivated all my mods, and continued on my merry way. I hope this helps someone out.

• 5 months later...

I can confirm turning off some mods will fix this, I encountered this bug too. I didn't switch off everything just about 40% of mods that had more recently been installed. Loading the game back up I used the console to setstage mg03 20 and finally I got the game to register the quest and could more forward. Not sure which mod caused this but the setstage mg03 20 will not work until that mod is deacivated.

This was the second time I encounter Hitting the Books not start and the console unable to update the quest. That time I deactivated about every MOD to get the console to work on this quest.

This time I took the time to narrow it down to one MOD.

For me it was 'Castle Grey.' This was the only MOD I had to deactivate to get the quest to trigger using the console:

setstage mg03 20

Other MODs may interfere with 'Hitting the Books,' but this was the only one out a 100 active MODs that kept the console from updating the quest.

• 3 months later...

I think I have found a fix.

Go to the console and type 'setstage MG04'. This will start the next quest after Hitting the books. Completing Under Saarthal after you have done this is optional, just continue the storyline from Good Intentions.

It worked on mine, when I got the bug. Under Saarthal will remain in your journakl for a bit, but will complete itself eventually, because as far as the questline is concerned, you passed it.

The Eye Of Magnus will not appear in the main hall, for the whole storyline, but dont worry, it re-appears when your with Ancano.

Hope this helps everyone :P

• 1 month later...

Well I have been having this bug for a long time and after reading this Forum i guess it was quest and place mods that break it, so i uninstalled, undeath and moon path to elesweyr, and bingo it worked fine, i alos uninstalled ethereal elven overhaul although u doubt it was the cause.