Hitting the Books quest bug

Meandmine

After reading all the posts on this thread, I found the mod causing troubles to me: 7K Better Whiterun. I already had issues with this mod, causing problems to the thief guild storyline; having troubles with Hitting The Books quest, i disabled it and I was able again to continue the mages college storyline. It's a pity that such a nice mod like that has to cause so many troubles. I think I'll uninstall it definitively...

• 8 months later...

This was the second time I encounter Hitting the Books not start and the console unable to update the quest. That time I deactivated about every MOD to get the console to work on this quest.

This time I took the time to narrow it down to one MOD.

For me it was 'Castle Grey.' This was the only MOD I had to deactivate to get the quest to trigger using the console:

setstage mg03 20

Other MODs may interfere with 'Hitting the Books,' but this was the only one out a 100 active MODs that kept the console from updating the quest.

I know that different people have had different resolutions but this is the simple one for me.

All I did was remove Castle Grey (fortunately I hadn't used it anyway), then use "startquest MG03", and it worked!

I restarted with Castle Grey after that.

Edited by drumaboy590

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm getting the same bug with this quest, and with Loud and Clear thieves guild quest, and also The man who cried wolf in solitude castle. Messing around in Tesvedit I noticed one of the mods I use has entries for those 3 quests....coincidence?!? Honestly asking. Abysswalker.esp, cannot remember where I got that mod, was part of a collection of armor mods that I cannot find anywhere online now, downloaded it a few years ago. I tried deleting all those quest entries in tesvedit and that didn't work, so now I'm going to try removing the mod, but not sure how that will work with having Under Saarthal ready to turn in. I'm not really interested in starting a new game with that mod removed just to test this.

Anyone else experiencing these bugs happen to have that mod installed?

• 1 year later...

Hi, i'm updating this but i had the same problem for years -litteraly- and found that Sounds of Skyrim the wild caused the problem, i really don't know why o.O
(Edit: came from a bad installation order of it, it's Wild -> Cities -> Dungeons)

Edited by Remaetanju

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I read this forum a couple of years ago looking for an answer to this question. Different games, different mods installed and none of the ones listed here. The only thing that worked for me was startquest mg04. Of course, you don't get the quest books or the reward items if you do that.

Today I created a bat file.

If you want to go this route, install it in your game directory, not the game/data directory. Open the console and type 'bat mg03'. Not only will it start the next quest, bypassing Hitting the Books, you will get all quest and reward books.