Change where bullet hits when not aiming down sights.

OscarMuffin

I'm having a bit of trouble with a mod I've had for a while now called Optics of new Vegas and the Anti-Material rifle in particular. When aiming down sights using the mod my bullets impact far higher than the sight crosshair and the orange thing that shows you where the center of the screen is. The impact points are consistently too high and become even higher at range. However, if I fire a shot and then spam my fire button to get a follow-up shot as soon as the gun is loaded the bullet will hit exactly where I aim.

One thing I noticed is that, using the AM rifle without OONV results in different impact point when aiming down the sights vs hip firing. Hip firing results in the bullet hitting too high whereas aiming down the sights results in the bullet hitting slightly low although this seems to irrelevant at range. I will include some screenshots below.

Hip fire without OONV. -High

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1606378652

Scoped in without OONV - Low/Normal

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1606378745

Hip fire with OONV - High

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1606378304

Scoped in with OONV - High

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1606378444

From what I can tell all of the bullets are hitting the same place except from vanilla scoped in which seems to adjust where the bullet hits. So, is it possible for me to adjust where the bullet hits when not scoped in as that seems to be the impact point that OONV uses. I can only presume that the hip fire aim point was poorly adjusted as Obsidian weren't expecting people to be using it at far ranges. I can move the sighting node around on other weapons to make them hit at the crosshair but this one is just too far off for that. I've tried GECK and adjusting stuff in NIfSkope but they seem to have no effect.

I don't understand why an immediate follow-up shot would hit exactly where I want it to though. I've got the same problem with the Automatic Rifle from Dead Money. The first shot hits way high but the rest of them seem to hit fine. Although by fine I mean that the shot is hitting where the iron sights are in the middle of the recoil animation, same thing with the AM rifle. Shot hits where the sights are at the peak of the recoil animation.

OONV is the only mod I have installed while doing these tests, gun skill maxed, strength sufficient, crouched and using steady to eliminate any spread variation.

Edit - After some more messing around it seems that there is a delay between pressing the fire button and the triggering of the hitscan. This delay is enough so that the hitscan happens during the fire animation when the gun is pointing upwards and hence, the inaccuracy and explains why it doesn't happen using vanilla scopes, as there is no fire animation using them. I've changed the fire animation from #9 to #3 which is the one used by the hunting rifle and it seems to have the same delay as the hunting rifle, which I can correct by adjusting the sighting node. However, the bolt does not cycle and the AM rifle can be fired way too fast.

So now the question has changed, how do I remove this delay between pressing fire and the hitscan happening, hence eliminating the time for the rifle to recoil before the "bullet" exits the barrel?

Edited by OscarMuffin

While you appear to have a "better than novice" idea of what is happening, your description of how you are attempting to resolve the problem seems to be missing a couple of factors. Suggest you read the several "Issue: Aiming -" entries under the 'Solutions to Graphics problems' section) of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article.

The question you need to ask yourself is: what is my goal here? To fix the aiming point of the AM rifle, or to fix the OONV mod? You are on the correct approach by trying to reduce the number of variables as much as possible, but you seem to be attempting to fix only one component of four different factors affected by different mods: Auto Aim & hitscan, weapon mesh, animations (both recoil and firing/reloading), and optics (which includes "Field of View (FoV)".

If you are now happy with everything else and are currently only focused on 'eliminating the time for the rifle to recoil before the "bullet" exits the barrel', then you need to look into the "recoil animations" you are using. There are reasons why people spent the time to develop their own versions to replace "vanilla".

-Dubious-

I'm just lost now.

The time between pressing fire and the bullet impact appearing on a surface directly scales with global time. Slow the game down to 10% and the time is ten times longer. Slow it down to 5% and it's 20 times longer ect....

However, it also seems that the hit location also moves closer to the cross-hair as a consequence of slowing time. Say the impact is 6 mil-dots high, at 50% speed it will only be 3 high. At 16% speed it's only 1 dot high.

But, the impact can also move further away from the cross-hair by accelerating time although this seems to be limited to doubling the distance to 12 dots with time set to 200% normal speed.

And that is where I'm lost and floundering. I wouldn't expect the impact location to change as a consequence of slowing time, I would only expect it to take longer to appear, which it does.

So there is something that determines where the bullet is going to hit that is un-affected by changes in time.

However, the time when the bullet hits that location is affected by time.

The way I see it, I can either make the delay that determines where the bullet will hit as short as possible (If possible).

Or, I can keep the gun pointed at the location I want to hit for a longer period of time.

The total time from button press to impact is around 30 milliseconds.

Currently watching an animation tutorial to see if I can keep the gun on target longer before the recoil starts and hoping that the direction of the gun affects the impact point.

Edited by OscarMuffin

Another update, I have since discovered a mod that fixes this issue completely, unfortunately it gets rid of camera recoil which I find a bit cheating but is described as the only way to do it. The creator explains the problem better than I could but I was on the right track with the bullet being fired in the middle of the recoil and hence, flying over the target.

the "hit" trigger, which tells the game engine to create and throw a projectile (visually, the gun firing a bullet), and the beginning of a set of transforms for a node named "Camera1st", which causes the kickback effect on your first-person view. Now, these two events are very close together, naturally, and this wouldn't normally be a problem, except that the camera transform doesn't require that the projectile has been shot before doing its thing. You would think that the animation would automatically pause at the firing event until the engine told it to continue, but you would be wrong and shame on you for even thinking that stop it.
So occasionally (or often, depending on your processor speed), you end up with a projectile being created and shot in the middle of the gun's recoil, when the camera is no longer centered on the target.