Games for Seniors

FosterBear

Much as I hate to admit it, age does catch up. I recently purchased a new game, "Witch Hunter 3". For the life of me, I can't get used to all of the keys to make the game function. I spend more time dead than alive.

That said, I have been playing "Skyrim" since it came out and have the enhanced version. Prior to that I played "Oblivion". I still will load and play my Might and Magic games including the Heroes titles. The turn based combat is great for slow old guys. I mostly enjoy the graphics, wandering through worlds created by talented game creartors and working out puzzles.

My question here is, are there any current fantasy games with good graphics and story lines that don't require more than a mouse and half a dozen keys. I'm at a point where I'm ready to invest in a new computer but don't want to buy one until I find a game I can play and make sure the new computer will handle the load.

For reference, I have played games since 1988. I tend to buy Dungeon & Dragon types. I don't play on-line.

Your thoughts appreciated...

Thanks, FosterBear

I think you might like the games Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2, by Larian Studios. They're turn-based RPGs in the style of the old DnD games like Baldur's Gate, but they have an incredible atmosphere, and a story that (in my mind, at least) perfectly blends fantasy with humor. They have incredible amounts of content, too, and beautiful hand-designed environments. Plus, the developers are amazing too! And the ratings don't lie: 94 and 93 percent on Metacritic, and both "Very Positive" on Steam.

I'm about 81% sure that they can be played solely with a mouse - not sure, but there's certainly nothing complicated about the controls.

They're both on sale right now, and the first one is only ten bucks!

Links:

GOG

- DOS1: https://www.gog.com/game/divinity_original_sin_enhanced_edition

- DOS2: https://www.gog.com/game/divinity_original_sin_2

Steam

- DOS1: https://store.steampowered.com/app/373420/Divinity_Original_Sin__Enhanced_Edition/

- DOS2: https://store.steampowered.com/app/435150/Divinity_Original_Sin_2__Definitive_Edition/

If I may be so bold may I suggest a company called GOG (https://www.gog.com/). They buy up older game titles from publishers and sell them at extreme discount. The games may be older but are still top notch titles. Right now they are having a mid-winter sale where their low prices are discounted even more. You might give them a look.

The Rabbit

Hi

If you have a powerful enough computer try Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I consider it more a Witcher 3 clone than an Assassin's Creed game.

You didn't mention Fallout 4. Fallout 4 is the second most played game in my Library with Skyrim being the first. There are enough good mods to make the game as you like it.

The game I played the most this year is other than Skyrim SE and Fallout 4 is BATTLETECH. Since it is turn based I don't feel rushed playing it.

I still play my original Skyrim. I started modding it in 2011 and have never started over with it. I did move it to an SSD in 2016. Even though I mainly play Skyrim SE it is nice to know that my original modded Skyrim is preserved. I wish that I had done the same with Oblivion. I have tried to recreate it by using the Nexus download history but it doesn't play the same.

Later

As Mr. Jones has said Fallout 4 is a very good game. Kind of a Fantasy Roll Playing game like D&D but using firearms instead of swords and bows. That being said it does need a good 64 bit machine to run it. I bought it on pre-order when it first came out and had to upgrade my machine at several points to get it to run properly. Otherwise a great title as Mr. Jones has said.

The Rabbit

Thank you all for your responses. I am currently killing time while Divinity is downloading.

I'm fairly certain that the game controls for Fallout are comparable with Skyrim but post Apocalyptic games don't really catch my interest. My son has all of the Assassins Creed games and having discussed them with him in the past, I think the game controls are more akin to Witcher. Having spent the money for that and never been able to make friends with it, I'm not anxious to spent another $50 for a game I won't play.

Again, I really appreciate everyone answering my inquiry.

Best regards and Happy New Year, FosterBear

If you want a magic themed fantasy based DnD/Gauntlet-esque adventure, might I suggest Magicka series as well? It's pretty much DnD for wizards on steroids, easy to pick up and can be played both alone or co-op. It's also not performance hungry to boot.

Edited by 3aq

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I could also recommend "Shadowrun" by Harebrained Schemes, same studio, which recently created "Battletech", namely:

- "Shadowrun Returns"

- "Shadowrun: Dragonfall"

- "Shadowrun: Hong Kong"

"Shadowrun Returns" has a very annoying save system, but it was refined in following titles. "S: Dragonfall - Director's Cut" and "S: Hong Kong" are standalones, they don't need "Shadowrun Returns" as a base game, even though they are kind of add-ons. These are Kickstarter games, so no super-flashy visuals, but they are very immersive. Graphics is isometric, role-playing aspects and dialogues are crucial, combat is turn-based.

Game universe in "Shadowrun" is a mixture between science-fiction (cyberpunk) and fantasy. You've got elves, orcs, shamans, but also virtual reality and lots of futuristic stuff. In movie terms, think of it as "Johnny Mnemonic" or "The Matrix" meets "Bright" (Netflix movie with Will Smith).

Try the Risen series, 1, 2 and 3. They're supposedly about pirates, but you have the option of becoming a magic user too. The controls are simple WSAD and mouse stuff, with the option of assigning things like spells or healing potions to the top numbers row. Also, they're often discounted on Steam and other sites, maybe wait for Steam Summer Sale end of June.

Graphically speaking, 1 is starting to creak a bit, as is 2, but 3 is still a beautiful worldspace. All 3 games can be improved dramatically with Reshade, not too hard to do. Read my guide on Reshade in the Articles section if you're unsure.

I too hope they continue to make similar games for me to play into my dotage, but I fear it's all going to be VR techno babble stuff sooner rather than later.