Games for Seniors

FosterBear

Much as I hate to admit it, age does catch up. I recently purchased a new game, "Witch Hunter 3". For the life of me, I can't get used to all of the keys to make the game function. I spend more time dead than alive.

That said, I have been playing "Skyrim" since it came out and have the enhanced version. Prior to that I played "Oblivion". I still will load and play my Might and Magic games including the Heroes titles. The turn based combat is great for slow old guys. I mostly enjoy the graphics, wandering through worlds created by talented game creartors and working out puzzles.

My question here is, are there any current fantasy games with good graphics and story lines that don't require more than a mouse and half a dozen keys. I'm at a point where I'm ready to invest in a new computer but don't want to buy one until I find a game I can play and make sure the new computer will handle the load.

For reference, I have played games since 1988. I tend to buy Dungeon & Dragon types. I don't play on-line.

Your thoughts appreciated...

Thanks, FosterBear

Playing a game that makes your eye hand coordination seem out of control is not old age catching up with you?
You're trying to hard.
If anything it is the child excited part of your brain trying to play with a brand new toy and the adult side is being ruly, confused, and unwilling to believe that they are not able to play the game with ease, because their eye hand coordination is failing due to old age. If your hands are trembling, or worse, you're old.
You've got to slowly progress when starting any new game with new key binds, single to double taps, and mouse moves, three to eight button, wheels to flick and click.
You are probably frustrated deep down, because you're a veteran gamer, and you think you should not have to baby yourself through the basic camp routines again. Ha! Yes you do!
Would you go back to being a beginner if you spent years perfecting your skills? Not likely. New difficult game.
Would you start over as a private and feel comfortable being ordered around by child fifty years your junior? Not likely.
You're likely tripping over you, in your thoughts. You stumble and fumble like a baby learning to walk and handling a new toy. Always having to learn something new!
Darn!
You thought you were finished with having to learn something new. The Witcher 3 seemed like it was going to be a walk in the park. So similar to other things you are already have FULL COMMAND over.
You're learning again, let your inner child loose to explore. Weird feeling isn't it?
Forget about being the grandmaster, relax, let yourself be yourself as a child again and calmly, explore.
Learn a little at time. Don't forget, a little learned will become a lot when you're older and no longer a tot.
If you do it that way you'll be playing Witcher 3 like a pro in no time.
If you're reluctant to follow my advice, drop and give me 20, and take that star off your shoulder. Because you don't rank over your baby self at all for Witcher 3.
You either learn like a new recruit fumbling under pressure, or think your a General and fumbled like a broken down old fart.
You can get a good handle on the controls, but you are tired, no longer a child. You can take the man out of a child, but you can't take the child out of a...
You don't feel like learning another eye hand coordination function. Have you seen your finality coming? Started to feel, finally, after you stared into the mirror and saw the sleep bags under your eyes that it's time to quit?
Start again! If you want to play it, START AGAIN, and never nay say it, unless your hands are trembling like a frightened little boy under the eye of a guy twice your size who is holding a gun in your face; go on, and play the game as though you were a curious young child again.
Think about it, you bought the game so you would be entertained. Just like with other games when you felt the same. You didn't quit just because you had to learn how the controls worked.
Because what I write is telling you what you're thinking. You're a different person; You have an old person's mind and it is trying to do what children do with ease. Ha ha haa. You're falling in the crack of your own lack of knowing WHY DID I BUY THE GAME? You did it because you're still a child at heart. Just like each time before when you bought the games you treasure in your memories still.
Trying eating a full grown elephant whole in one bite.

• 2 weeks later...

I can recommend Pillars of Eternity if you like CRPGs. Grim Dawn is a time well spent if you like the Diablo type game. Both games are enjoyable with just a mouse and a few keys.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are in older games try the "Realms of Arcania" series. Recommend the originals not the remakes. As they are DOS games you need dos box.

A very interesting adventure game is "Kings Quest 8 mask of eternity". Superb story and easy to handle.

Also recommended is "Dragon Age: Origins" but the steering is more complex.

• 4 weeks later...

The Bethesda games from Oblivion to Fallout 4 are ideal for older people. Non-linear, open-world, and plenty of cheat codes when needed, There are thousands of mods for these game. Additional quest mods, new lands mods, and companions with quest mods can extend the playability of these games many times beyond their natural shelf life.

Check out these Bethesda mods. They can be purchased on Steam and you can find all relevant mods for those games here at the Nexus. The two best are Skyrim SE and Fallout 4 and the older games in those two series are enjoyable as well.

These games work for me, along with the senior early bird special at my local buffet. :teehee:

Treat your Grandparents and Great Grandparents to Skyrim SE and Fallout 4 for the next gift giving holiday.

Edited by Moksha8088

I hear you Seniors. :hurr:

You're saying you don't want to be a newbie anymore. :yucky: You want the new/old RPG games format to fit your 'Already Well Trained' gaming mind. :psyduck:

You're a 10 Star Gamer :thumbsup: and you don't want to join an Online Guild and be a grunt (recruit, neophyte, newbie) among the babies who weren't even born when Bethesda's Arena was what was going on before MORROWIND was in diapers and now your Grand and Great Grand children are playing THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE which came along in an MMOnline video game; which has guilds. Do you?! :no:

I hate it :verymad: when I am not able to be a full fledged 10 star gamer when I get a NEW VIDEO GAME with a few different control functions that is still a Role-Playing Video Game. :yucky:

Don't you?! :rolleyes:

:unsure:

You 4 star generals wouldn't take orders from a fledgling General :wallbash: even if the person (gender specific left out because it is common day that women are generals) was even a 5 star General in the Military; without swallowing hard to keep your pride from overruling the scene.

Would you?! :tongue: