I can figure out how to install mods or overrides using the DAO-Modmanager

blubastud

I am not new to gaming but I am very new to mods. I have the DAO-Modmanager. I have attempted to read the manual and follow instructions, not to be disrespectful, but, the english and instructions are horrible. I can't make heads or tails of some of the instructions and it assumes that I know things that I don't like where the hell am I supposed to set up these folders, where do i install the program? I have all these mods, and they show up but when I click install they don't show up in the installed dazips pane. I tried to install the natural bodies all in one mod but although it gives me the option to install it never shows up in the installed overrides pane and I never get the option to configure anything when I right click on the mods. Please someone help me. I need to know where to install the modmanager, how to set up the folder directory so that everything plays nice. I suspect its the way I have my folders arranged that is causing the problem but I have no idea what the correct way is to set it up.

I almost didn't read your post because it sounded like you didn't need help ('I can figure out how to install mods...') :confused:

Anywho.... install the modmanager to any folder where you would normally install a program, but not in the default C: drive Programs folder and not in any of the Bioware games folders... example: I ordinarily install programs to D:/Programs, so that's where I stick the mod manager (and all other modding utilities). (Some people prefer to create a folder with a name like 'Dragon Age Modding' and install related programs/utilities there, but I never saw the need. YMMV.)

Likewise, the storage folder for the .override and DAzip archives can be created anywhere apart from within the 'official' Bioware folders.... I have a dedicated drive for all my modding nonsence, so I placed the DAO-ModManager store folders there> H:\Dragon Age Mods\override and H:\Dragon Age Mods\dazip. I know other folks who use the Windows Documents folder to store things... it's a matter of personal preference.

After installing, make sure that DAO-ModManager has Admin privileges.

And be aware that to drag-and-drop files into to the modmanger, you may need perform one additional step, as the native Windows file manager (Windows Explorer in older versions of the OS, and I believe it is now called 'File Explorer'?) has a permissions issue.

From Windows 7 on, drag-and-drop doesn't work for DAO-ModManager IF you use the native Windows file manager... as I understand it, both programs need to have the same elevated 'run as Administrator' permissions, but the catch is that it's impossible to give those elevated permissions to Windows/File Explorer.

The workaround is to use a 3rd party file manager (I use Explorer++) and run both that and DAO-Modmanager as Admin.

Lol, sorry about the typo, I was frustrated. Thanks for the response. I'm assuming that since I can't drag and drop I just manually put them into the folders. Is that correct? Which means I have to change the .override to another archive extension I can open with 7zip. My next question is does it matter which extension I use? Can I just arbitrarily change it to any archive extension 7zip is compatible with? I really don't feel comfortable mucking around with my entire file manager to grant admin privileges. That sounds like I would end up having a whole other set of questions just to get that running, lol.

Edited by blubastud

Lol, sorry about the typo, I was frustrated. Thanks for the response. I'm assuming that since I can't drag and drop I just manually put them into the folders. Is that correct? Which means I have to change the .override to another archive extension I can open with 7zip. My next question is does it matter which extension I use? Can I just arbitrarily change it to any archive extension 7zip is compatible with? I really don't feel comfortable mucking around with my entire file manager to grant admin privileges. That sounds like I would end up having a whole other set of questions just to get that running, lol.

Drag-and-drop is not required to use the mod manager.

Just put the .override (or DAzip) in the appropriate storage folder you made, set the file paths, and it will show up in the DAO-ModManager interface.... changing the extension will render it useless.

If you aren't going to use the mod manager at all then you can't use configurable .overrides at all, since DAO-ModManager is required for configuration part. (The format is proprietary and unique to the utility.)

DAzips can be installed with the native Bioware daupdater utility, of course, and manual overrides can be installed by copying the files to the correct folder ([user]\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\packages\core\override).

Drag-and-drop is not required to use the mod manager.

Just put the .override (or DAzip) in the appropriate storage folder you made, set the file paths, and it will show up in the DAO-ModManager interface.... changing the extension will render it useless.

If you aren't going to use the mod manager at all then you can't use configurable .overrides at all, since DAO-ModManager is required for configuration part. (The format is proprietary and unique to the utility.)

DAzips can be installed with the native Bioware daupdater utility, of course, and manual overrides can be installed by copying the files to the correct folder ([user]\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\packages\core\override).

Thanks so much, I'm about to give it a try.

Ok, I'm about to give up. I did a complete reinstall of the game. I created file folders as directed. I started the game but did not create a new character. I just started the game to see if it would run and I read somewhere you have to do that for the game to create the correct folders or something like that. I installed DAMM I really only care about the NBaio.override archive. It showed up in the mods in mod folder panel, I right clicked and selected install, however nothing ever showed up in the installed override panels and the option to configure never showed up when I right clicked the archive in the mods in mod folder panel. I don't know what I did wrong. All the dazip archives are showing but the override is a different story, it's not showing at all and I don't know how to install it.

Edited by blubastud

I'm at a complete loss to explain why nothing happens when you install the .override.

The reason the option to configure the archive doesn't appear in the lower panel of DAO-ModManager is that it shows up in the upper 'installed overrides' area, once the mod is properly installed. I know that doesn't help with your larger issue (sorry!), but it at least explains why the function isn't available where you are looking:

1926794-1546633295.jpg

1926794-1546633362.jpg

Hopefully someone smarter than me will be along to shed some light on what is happening and I apologize for not being more helpful. *sadface*