New 4K Monitor 2: The Dual Monitor Setup

Hey guys. A while ago I was asking for some advice regarding my new Asus VP28UQG 4K monitor and received some very good information. However, I have stumbled upon an issue and I think I may have a solution. However, I need some help with it first.

So I have an Asus GTX 1070 Turbo with an i7 7700K, the former of which I sometimes overclock with MSI Afterburner to achieve higher performance and also use Nvidia Inspector to eliminate some stutter in games. I didn't do that much research regarding 4K gaming beforehand and discovered that playing almost any game in 4K resolution with a substantial amount of mods proved to be quite a challenge for my GPU. Switching to a lower resolution helps to increase FPS massively, but also looks horrible on a native 4K screen, which kind of negates the point of having mods that improve visuals.

So, I came up with a solution, which was to get an older 24" LG E2242CA monitor (a 1080p 60Hz monitor which I have used and played on for a long time) and run a dual-monitor setup.

My plan (however unrealistic and inaccurate it may be) was to run this setup in such a way that I could use the 1080p monitor for games like Fallout 4, Fallout New Vegas and other games that played on a lower FPS level and leave the 4K on the desktop screen, or use the 4K monitor to run games like Fallout 3 which run smoothly on 4K resolution and keep the other one open.

What do you guys think? Is it a good idea? What things would I need to do this? How would I go about doing it?

(Both monitors are 60Hz, by the way).

I also have an Asus Z270E gaming motherboard.

It's what I do, I have a 1440p screen on my desk for general use and most games, on a unit to the side of the desk I have a very large 4K TV that I use for games where I'm using a joypad or with the PS4 and Xbox, I did try the TV on the desk but websites with a white background were blinding and it was no good for everyday use. It's easy to set up, connect both to your GPU and then you can use the Nvidia control panel to switch between the two.

It's what I do, I have a 1440p screen on my desk for general use and most games, on a unit to the side of the desk I have a very large 4K TV that I use for games where I'm using a joypad or with the PS4 and Xbox, I did try the TV on the desk but websites with a white background were blinding and it was no good for everyday use. It's easy to set up, connect both to your GPU and then you can use the Nvidia control panel to switch between the two.

How would I go about choosing a monitor for specific games and switching for others?

I use the Nvidia control panel to switch to the one I want, just check the box for the one you want to use and uncheck the other one, checking both with enable both.

Ok. So I connected my 4K monitor to my GPU and the other monitor to my motherboard. Both work and Windows recognizes them, though I have to reapply their position settings every time I start my PC and Nvidia Control Panel does not recognize my 1080p monitor. How do I fix this?

Plug both into the video card. Your Nvidia software can do nothing with the onboard video.

Yeah, I think that that's the root of my problem. There is only one DVI socket on my GPU, so I need to get a DVI-D to DisplayPort adapter. Do you know of any cheap ones that I could buy?