Heart of Hearts

BaldurAnthology

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cecilia smiled and took the potion from the dwarf Byron, smiling gratefully, "Thank you. It wasn't a very strong impact, but Koralina is not quite used to pain yet, so she may have felt that a little more strongly than I." She downed a few gulps of the liquid, and offered the bottle back to Byron, still nearly three-fourths full. "I feel much better now."

I'm sorry for hurting you. I'd forgotten that you can feel what I feel.

A little voice entered into Cecilia's mind then, inquiring as to why she felt differently than Byron. Cecilia looked toward the dwarf, and couldn't see the dragon anywhere, I am Cecilia. My mind is different than Byron's because it is structured differently. If a human like Thorand or a dwarf like Byron were to tap into my mind as you just did, they would likely go mad. However, a dragon choosing to speak with an elf is considered a great honor. We do not mind friendly interaction from those of your kind. In fact, we are likely to ask permission before responding to you directly. You and Koralina are respected and revered by my kind, and should know that you will have many trying to gain your favor.

"Thorand, Byron, how much longer can your horses go before needing a rest?"

Thorand considered this.

"Probably for a little while, she actually hasn't been running too long, mostly walking. Looks like she's at the point now where she'd actually enjoy a run." He reported.

Thorand wondered what his family would think about him travelling with a pair of Dragon Riders, and was unable to come up with an answer. The prospect was so unlikely it may as well be a child's fantasy. He found himself a little jealous of the other two, not because of their power but because of the link they shared with their dragons. If he shared that kind of link with Bessa, it would be unbelievably incredible, or at least Thorand supposed it would. Still, half of Alagaesia wanted to be a Dragon Rider. It would probably never happen to him, wherever the dragon's egg for the humans went, it likely wouldn't cross his path, unless he met with the dragon and rider themselves. Besides, he could carry it with him to the grave, and it still probably wouldn't choose him. No way would the dragon pick him, an ordinary ex-soldier of the Varden. Thorand decided that it was best not thinking such immature thoughts of being a Dragon Rider, it was unrealistic. He shrugged internally.

Byron smiled.

"Dinnae worry aboot me, lass. Ah be good for awhile yet. Ah may be unused tae travellin since I been running an Inn for a long time noo, but Ah've traveled further than this for less. As for the horse, from what Rafiki told me, Napoleon should be good for a while as well." The short horse was gamely keeping up, showing no signs of tiredness.

Ornthrond couldn't process all that the elf had said to him, crawling back to her shoulder he said,

Slow down! I not know much two-legs talk yet! I hatch at two-legs place, Big place, with much two-legs. Byron looked at his dragon, hearing this due to his shared link. He nudged the little dragon with his mind, and allowed him to access his knowledge of human speech patterns and grammar. Ornthrond studied this for some time before hesitantly brushing back against Cecilia's mind again.

My.. dwarf rider. I hatched... for him. At an Inn... that he runs. I hatched a few days ago. When did you hatch? Do... Elves.. hatch? Do Dwarves hatch?

• 2 weeks later...

Once again Thorand felt a prescence touch his mind, probably Ornthrond's, who wouldn't be used to speaking with only one person yet.

"I know humans don't hatch, and the other two races probably don't either, but I'm not sure." He said to the little dragon.

"We do not hatch, young one. But I was born a long time ago." Cecilia addressed the dragon aloud, since Thorand could hear it, too.

Koralina hummed in her throat as she thought of herself as special. She hatched, and the others did not.

"We should keep moving, then." And with that, Cecilia was off.

Thorand, noting his horse's eagerness to go, was off like a shot after Cecilia. Obviously his horse had some difficulty, but she kept up fairly easily. At this rate it wouldn't take them nearly as long to reach the Elven cities as it would a regular party of travellers with wagons or backpacks.

Napoleon did his best to keep up, his short legs pumping as he galloped after the taller horses.

Byron smiled at his Dragon's question, and replied,

"We dwarves dinnae hatch neither. Ah'm nae gonna have 'the talk' with someone as young as ye though. Ah'll tell ye when yer older."

Rafiki sat on a rock and meditated in the center of a nearby town.