[suggestion] Easier load order

NikitaDarkstar

With the NMM you can highlight the mod then just click it down to wherever you want. 30 seconds? No rules. No groups.

And a ton of conflicts, ESPs, in the wrong order etc, while the user is blissfully unaware of the problems.

Just because it's fast, doesn't mean it's correct.

If you mean DOWNLOAD a mod "With the NMM you can highlight the mod then just click it down to wherever you want"

If you double click a mod on the mods tab, it will open a window on the right and you can click on "Visit on Nexusmods .com"

I was referring to manually changing the load order with NMM.

Never had a problem with NMM that wasn't user error or couldn't be fixed with NMM's manual load order feature. 99% of the time LOOT made no adjustments to the NMM load order.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never had a problem with NMM that wasn't user error or couldn't be fixed with NMM's manual load order feature. 99% of the time LOOT made no adjustments to the NMM load order.

My point is, you have NO IDEA if you have no conflicts by using NMM, the only way to see conflicts when using NMM is to use Xedit.

NMM does not notify you of any conflicts with ESPs, and it surely doesn't notify you of Conflicts with BSAs, BA2s etc like Vortex does and can.

The only time NMM will notify you of any conflicts is Texture and Mesh conflicts and that's a hard overwrite of files, while Vortex can do that, except instead of having to uninstall and reinstall the conflicting mods, Vortex will automatically restore and overwrite the files without uninstalling and reinstalling the mods.

You keep arguing for NMM, which means you are happy with not knowing what conflicts your load order has.

Also, it takes me just seconds to manage my load order in Vortex, if you've installed 100 mods for FONV with Vortex, you'd already know how easy it is to manage your load order (Provided you read the built in knowledge base and watched the built in tutorials)

The reason you're arguing for manual load ordering is because you haven't properly learned Vortex, once you do, you'll realize how pointless and difficult manual load ordering is.

I was exactly like you, there's a 30+ long page thread where I am arguing for Manual Load Ordering, until I finally realized how Vortex does things, and I stopped fighting against it, and started working with it.

Guest deleted34304850

I don't know what that picture is showing me aside from Vortex telling you that you have some issues that it wants you to know about and resolve. Isn't that the role of a mod manager?

Can you tell me what point you're trying to make with that picture? Or, are you telling me that Vortex is "suboptimal" because it's giving you more information than, for example NMM?

Help me understand the point you're making.

My point is, you have NO IDEA if you have no conflicts by using NMM, the only way to see conflicts when using NMM is to use Xedit.

NMM does not notify you of any conflicts with ESPs, and it surely doesn't notify you of Conflicts with BSAs, BA2s etc like Vortex does and can.

The only time NMM will notify you of any conflicts is Texture and Mesh conflicts and that's a hard overwrite of files, while Vortex can do that, except instead of having to uninstall and reinstall the conflicting mods, Vortex will automatically restore and overwrite the files without uninstalling and reinstalling the mods.

You keep arguing for NMM, which means you are happy with not knowing what conflicts your load order has.

Also, it takes me just seconds to manage my load order in Vortex, if you've installed 100 mods for FONV with Vortex, you'd already know how easy it is to manage your load order (Provided you read the built in knowledge base and watched the built in tutorials)

The reason you're arguing for manual load ordering is because you haven't properly learned Vortex, once you do, you'll realize how pointless and difficult manual load ordering is.

I was exactly like you, there's a 30+ long page thread where I am arguing for Manual Load Ordering, until I finally realized how Vortex does things, and I stopped fighting against it, and started working with it.

Can you please stop questioning my experience with Vortex.

I'm not disagreeing with your description of how Vortex works. If you're trying to say that rules and groups are better than a 30 second manual manipulation as featured in NMM I disagree. Thank you for your informative post.

If you're trying to say that rules and groups are better than a 30 second manual manipulation as featured in NMM I disagree. Thank you for your informative post.

You're obviously not understanding me, because I'm not talking about sorting PLUGINS, Vortex does that automatically, and there's no need to manually sort them anymore.

I'm talking about sorting MODS on the mods tab, where the REAL conflicts take place.

Only Vortex (MO and MO2, all by the same author) allow you to sort BSA, BA2, Archives, Texture and Mesh files

That's something that NMM simply cannot do.

I have no need to spend up to 30 seconds manually sorting PLUGINS, because it's unnecessary, simple as that.

I don't know what that picture is showing me aside from Vortex telling you that you have some issues that it wants you to know about and resolve. Isn't that the role of a mod manager?

Can you tell me what point you're trying to make with that picture? Or, are you telling me that Vortex is "suboptimal" because it's giving you more information than, for example NMM?

Help me understand the point you're making.

Oh, I'm sorry I thought you doubted my experience with Vortex.

Texture mod conflicts that are already resolved to my satisfaction, but trying to tell Vortex that is a pain. Pro tip, click the bell to make it go away until the next time you open Vortex.

Hmm, I won't say that the Vortex UI is suboptimal and bloated, but I will say that the NMM UI is much leaner and easier to navigate. What changes to the Vortex UI would you make? None? :)

If you're trying to say that rules and groups are better than a 30 second manual manipulation as featured in NMM I disagree. Thank you for your informative post.

You're obviously not understanding me, because I'm not talking about sorting PLUGINS, Vortex does that automatically, and there's no need to manually sort them anymore.

I'm talking about sorting MODS on the mods tab, where the REAL conflicts take place.

Only Vortex (MO and MO2, all by the same author) allow you to sort BSA, BA2, Archives, Texture and Mesh files

That's something that NMM simply cannot do.

I have no need to spend up to 30 seconds manually sorting PLUGINS, because it's unnecessary, simple as that.

Interesting. So how would you have resolved my dialogue conflict?

Guest deleted34304850

I haven't once cast doubt on your vortex experience, but I did ask you if you were simply piling on given that the reasons you listed were at best, inaccurate. I am trying to engage with you over your experience and issues with Vortex, but they have to be real issues. Claims like Xedit functionality aren't really true, so can't really be discussed to any viable conclusion.

I did ask you if you had used it to deploy mods, and you have, and you can see from the screenshots that Vortex is doing what a mod manager should be doing, which is notifying you of one or several issues it has found with your environment. If you got 100+ mods deployed, then that suggests to me that it is not in any way, sub-optimal, rather it is doing what you want it to do, although you may not agree with the way it does it (automatically and without human intervention).

In terms of the UI, I converted from NMM to Vortex and yes, it's completely different - but a UI is not a show stopper for me in general. I get that it's different, but it took me - no lie - about 10 minutes of clicking around to get the hang of it., however, a UI can be a personal thing. I hated Windows 95, when the start bar first appeared. Absolutely hated it. Didn't make me uninstall it and go back to Windows for Workgroups however. But you can change the UI to how you want it from within Vortex really easily - which - again, would seem to disprove it being 'sub-optimal'.

I did change the default UI slightly, in a recent update I enabled the compact theme that was recently added. I could clone that and change it up if i needed to, but honestly, the compact theme works perfectly for what I need with Vortex at the minute.

Basically, the more you play with Vortex, the more you'll uncover. It really is a seriously good program. It is still in beta, so there are still issues and that is why I am interested in engaging with people who have issues with it.

In terms of the screenshot you showed, did you resolve the issues that were reported, and if you did, did you find the resolution process easy or difficult?