[suggestion] Easier load order

NikitaDarkstar

Never felt the need to delete everything. Last time I had a CTD was because I assumed SKSE automatically set up the memory patch. All the scenarios you are describing are foreign to me.

I'm glad you enjoy Vortex so much. Be happy, Vortex has won the Nexus mod manager title and will be supported for the foreseeable future.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest deleted34304850

well, i was just discussing aspects of vortex related to your issues and replies because that's how issues get found and resolved, nothing more than that. there was no "battle" between nexus mod manager and vortex they both still exist and can be used, its just that one is way better than the other. this always happens its just called progress. what you've raised as issues can be dealt with - its just being brave enough to ignore the fact that it looks different - you give yourself a few hours, and it will open up to you - that's all i did, nothing more than that.

Guest deleted34304850

The context of the phrase 'brave enough' is there because in an earlier post, I suggested that it is perfectly normal for people to fear change. If we're now down to the pedantry of word usage I think we're done. I've already done this with bloatware and sub-optimal.

I hope this series of replies has been useful for giving you some insight you may not have had previously, but honestly, the last couple of replies indicate that it might be another case of pearls to swine.

Good luck with your mod setup and remember, if your game breaks, it's because YOU did it wrong.

How many mods above the 100 would I have to install before I can be considered "brave enough"?

Are you asking for courage, fellow 1st world citizen, or compliance?

The context of the phrase 'brave enough' is there because in an earlier post, I suggested that it is perfectly normal for people to fear change. If we're now down to the pedantry of word usage I think we're done. I've already done this with bloatware and sub-optimal.

I hope this series of replies has been useful for giving you some insight you may not have had previously, but honestly, the last couple of replies indicate that it might be another case of pearls to swine.

Good luck with your mod setup and remember, if your game breaks, it's because YOU did it wrong.

Not all your pearls were wasted, thanks again for the UI tip.

If my game ever breaks I will surely remember your sage advice,"YOU did it wrong".

Having used both, I can tell you what I believe to be missing from drag and drop compared to a rules based sort - an audit trail of what mod was placed in a specific point in the load order and why. Using the rules based method I can easily set up rules and groups to place any mod EXACTLY where I want it in the load order, and, I can use additional documentation files in Vortex to write down why I did it. It is a very easy system to learn, and gives you complete control.

Okay so maybe you do have a point in drag/drop / manual ordering is redundant, and maybe I am clinging to old ways (I've been using NMM since oldrim was the new, hot thing and yes I do feel more in control when I sort things myself), and I'm not sure if you were serious with this bit or not but I feel like it would help a lot to have something like this (since what I originally asked for is clearly a no-go). Knowing why it's in the place it is would also help make decisions when setting up rules, and it'd help people like me feel more comfortable with the software (which is most likely a very low priority but just talking as a user here). For example I have one mod in SSE that insists on being below everything, including my bashed patch, and I got no idea why, all I know is that traditionally nothing goes below the batched patch so I've been trying to set up rules to make the batched patch go below the mod. Am I breaking things when trying to order things like that? I don't know. I also don't know why vortex is so insistent on having the mod at the end of the load order.

So yhea, if manual sorting isn't going to happen ever, a way to get more information about why vrotex did what it did would be A+.

Some interesting posts:

#32 icon_share.png
Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:11 AM

Fan

• photo-8671081.jpg?_r=1504826638
  • Premium Member
  • icon_green_premium.png
  • 377 posts

Fen1xMonk3y, on 01 Feb 2018 - 12:21 AM, said:snapback.png

How does one keep those at the bottom of the load order?

Set the global priority of the bashed patch to 127 in LOOT, and it will always be put last, that's what i do,

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:02 AM

Resident poster

• photo-3897072.jpg?_r=0
  • Premium Member
  • icon_green_premium.png
  • 3,615 posts

OldMansBeard, on 31 Jan 2018 - 09:38 AM, said:snapback.png

Thallassa, on 31 Jan 2018 - 09:31 AM, said:snapback.png

Load order: Ah, I see. You can set a global priority (much like LOOT) which should put your esp always in the same place.

Ah, that's what I needed, thanks.

I've tried that, but it means setting a priority 1 on the 'special' mod and priority 2 on all the mods I want to move below it. It works, but it's tedious. A much simpler solution (for me) is to keep NMM open and manually drag-and-drop the plugin order in that. Vortex sees the changes immediately. Best of both worlds :D

Here's the thread: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6355031-a-few-tips-from-the-focus-group/page-4

@2much4l1. At least six months ago LOOT replaced global priorities with plugin groups. Vortex-based LOOT employs these groups. The posts are interesting and were very helpful to me when first published, but the information is now outdated.

Aww. Thanks good to know.