is there any other way to define dependency?

GianYagami

Dragging method makes me struggle when I got many mod which is limited on my screen so I it's hard for me to drag while I must scrolling screen.

Vortex has made dragging and dropping plugins obsolete. If that 's what you're trying to do, then you don't understand how Vortex works and how to use it. Vortex itself does the heavy lifting in matters of plugin load order. If you do need to make load order adjustments, then you do so by setting a rule and/or changing a group assignment. Consult the Vortex Knowledge Base for further information.

• 5 months later...

I'm having a hard time understanding dependencies. So let's say Mod A is an Armour mod with unp - main file. But you don't use Unp. You use cbbe. Luckily for you, the mod has a cbbe option - Mod B - you are supposed to overwrite Mod A with Mod B. I have Mod A loading before Mod B, but I don't think this is an overwrite. There is also the option in dependencies where you can say that Mod B requires Mod A. Or does Mod A require Mod B? Or, does it have to do with install order? So confusing. Can anyone offer some wisdom on this issue? Thank you.

Edited by txjman

A rule like "Load Mod B after Mod A" is equivalent to "Load Mod A before Mod B" and it has the same effect as overwriting Mod A with Mod B except you can change your mind without reinstalling the mods.

When you say "but I don't think this is an overwrite" - what leads you to thinking that?

The "Mod B requires Mod A" rule has no effect on the installation order, they inform Vortex of the dependency and then Vortex can warn you if you try to load Mod B without Mod A. The inverse isn't necessarily true. If you have RaceMenu and a RaceMenu addon then the addon requires the main mod but the main mod would work fine without the addon.

None of the rules have any "hidden" meaning. "load x after y" means exactly that. load one thing after the other. It means no more and no less than that.

"x requires y" just means that x depends on y, it doesn't imply any sort of load order.

I guess the confusing part was when I installed something on NMM it asked you to overwrite files. In Vortex, it never asked, nor did it ever give me a conflict notice. Since it is dealing with textures, I didn't know if Mod B was just sitting there unused, even though it was installed and enabled. Since I am new to Vortex, and will likely have something like this pop up in the future, just wanted to make sure I understood that placing Mod B after Mod A caused the files to be overwritten. Thank you for the help and clearing up the confusion.

At the risk of adding to your confusion - nothing gets overwritten.

All your mods live in their original glory, in your mods staging folder.

If Mod A has a texture Red, and Mob B also has a texture Red, only one of those can be used by the game.

Vortex inserts mods into your game with hard links. This is a pointer to a specific mod file.

If you say load Mod B after Mod A (B wins), the pointer will point at the Mod B texture Red. Mod A Texture Red is not overwritten - it is just not used.

If this does not help - well I tried...

I'm on the same page now, so your help was perfect and much appreciated. I've used mods for years, but that by no means makes me an expert or even a novice when it comes to how they work with each other. These forums and people like yourself who are willing to help have saved a lot of headaches or answered a lot of my uninformed questions through the years.