Skyrim Special Edition ( SE, Newrim ) Does it favor Single, or Multi Threading?

Xelriel

Alrighty, So most of it is all in the Title, But what im primarily asking is if Skyrim Special Edition primarily Favors Single or Multi Threading, Reason being is Yes, im literally building a computer purely for Skyrim Special Edition and i already have a 1080 Ti picked out and for single thread, A 9700K, If anyone has very extensive knowledge on this subject please tell me or if your able, Point me in the right direction. Please keep in mind that im only posting this because i have searched for a few hours about this subject but never REALLY found a 100% or strait forward definitive answer on the subject.

Thank you in advance!!!

This is the current parts i have picked out currently.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/R9LpLJ

Edited by Xelriel

Google is a great tool.

I Googled: Does Skyrim SE handle double threading

Go here and read:

About Skyrim and multithreading - extensive testing on a 6-Core CPU from late 2015

Hope this helps.

I did read that already but then i decided to read it again because i keep seeing it come up, Then i noticed this tid bit ---> This makes sense in so far, that the main "building" core gets insane usage, while other core(s) remain on the low because they can not help building it, but only forward it.

Which in terms tells me SINGLE Thread, Correct?

Skyrim SE has been optimized for multi core. It has been done more than just INI Settings for this. The engine status is somewhere between Skyrim and Fallout 4 and much more stable than LE Oldrim. Nevertheless it's still not the holy grale in multi threading, but much better than Oldrim. You can see this yourself, by installing Oldrim and Skyrim SE. Than install MSI Afterburner and activate CPU Thread Usage/Load for each core and compare the results. You will see more usage on the cores and slightly more FPS in SE.

Reason being is because im planning on picking up a i9-9900K for my wife and myself and also a RTX 2080 for the both of us, ( which is equivalent to a 1080 Ti ) 32 Gigs of DDR4 3200 Memory and a 1Tb M.2 for both of us, I want to make damn sure that we can have 1000+ Heavy Mods ( Obviously optimized ) and still run at a full 60 FPS no matter where we are, or what we are doing.

That CPU is unnecessary for everything that has to do with Skyrim. It makes sense for Battlefield 5 Mutliplayer, PUBG, ARMA 3 if you want your FPS to stay always/mostly above 100 and more in Full HD or WQHD, if you got a really fast graphics card.

With that PC setup, your wishes will be possible, depending on your display resolution. It also matters a lot, if you install BethINI beside those mods and max it out. BethINI offers higher settings than the "normal ultra" settings. Keep in mind, that if you use MO2, you need to adjust the INI path in the BethINI, because MO2 has its own INIs and doesn't use the regular Skyrim INIs. If you don't adjust, changes won't have any effect.

Be aware that you can only install 254 plugins (+1 plugin for the game). If you want more, you need to merge the plugins, install ESL plugins, do a bashed patch. I would suggest you to buy an AMD processor. I've heard they are only ~1/4 slower and cost only the half. From the safed money, i would then buy an RTX 2080 Ti. I would recommend 2 x 8 GB RAM [or 4x4, if your cpu/board supports quad channel], but therefore the fastest stuff you can get, as ENB Boost operates via RAM and 16 GB is enough to not bottleneck gaming in the next 5+ years.

Beside maxing out the BethINI, you can also max out some ENB stuff (shift + return in the game), by setting the quality to ultra. My Skyrim Installation is ~ 197 GB, 560 installed mod files in the mod manager, ~360 plugins (incl. dyndolod and tes5lodgen). I have maxed out everything (well only 4096 shadow res. not 8192, but rest @ max. + imaxgrass=30 in the verdant.ini) and installed it on my friends PC. He has a WQHD display and a RTX 2080 Ti OC. The game runs in outdoor areas mostly @ 70+ FPS, but has drops in certain regions down to 37 FPS. With 2048 Shadow REs and imaxgrass=60 (default verdant ini) ~ +10 fps on that. His cpu is an i7 6700k @ 4,5 GHz and it is mostly bored. There might situations, where it bottlenecks - but far beyond 60 FPS. Even on my i7 3770 @ 4,2 GHz i'm no limited by CPU...in a heavy modded Skyrim with ENB, ELFX...and all that eyecandy.

If you want to have a look on my modded skyrim se, you can check my mod list. But it is written in german, so you would have to read the mod description pages or search for diffrent guides: https://www.computerbase.de/forum/threads/lets-mod-skyrim-sse-tuning-guide.1631118 Here some 4k downsampling shots from me, how it can look:

skyrimse_2019_01_06_1ycezl.jpg
skyrimse_2019_01_06_1mzd51.jpg
skyrimse_2019_01_06_1gpiuy.jpg
skyrimse_2019_01_06_1tldxw.jpg

Edited by COMBATFUN

That CPU is unnecessary for everything that has to do with Skyrim. It makes sense for Battlefield 5 Mutliplayer, PUBG, ARMA 3 if you want your FPS to stay always/mostly above 100 and more in Full HD or WQHD, if you got a really fast graphics card.

With that PC setup, your wishes will be possible, depending on your display resolution. It also matters a lot, if you install BethINI beside those mods and max it out. BethINI offers higher settings than the "normal ultra" settings. Keep in mind, that if you use MO2, you need to adjust the INI path in the BethINI, because MO2 has its own INIs and doesn't use the regular Skyrim INIs. If you don't adjust, changes won't have any effect.

Be aware that you can only install 254 plugins (+1 plugin for the game). If you want more, you need to merge the plugins, install ESL plugins, do a bashed patch. I would suggest you to buy an AMD processor. I've heard they are only ~1/4 slower and cost only the half. From the safed money, i would then buy an RTX 2080 Ti. I would recommend 2 x 8 GB RAM [or 4x4, if your cpu/board supports quad channel], but therefore the fastest stuff you can get, as ENB Boost operates via RAM and 16 GB is enough to not bottleneck gaming in the next 5+ years.

Beside maxing out the BethINI, you can also max out some ENB stuff (shift + return in the game), by setting the quality to ultra. My Skyrim Installation is ~ 197 GB, 560 installed mod files in the mod manager, ~360 plugins (incl. dyndolod and tes5lodgen). I have maxed out everything (well only 4096 shadow res. not 8192, but rest @ max. + imaxgrass=30 in the verdant.ini) and installed it on my friends PC. He has a WQHD display and a RTX 2080 Ti OC. The game runs in outdoor areas mostly @ 70+ FPS, but has drops in certain regions down to 37 FPS. With 2048 Shadow REs and imaxgrass=60 (default verdant ini) ~ +10 fps on that. His cpu is an i7 6700k @ 4,5 GHz and it is mostly bored. There might situations, where it bottlenecks - but far beyond 60 FPS. Even on my i7 3770 @ 4,2 GHz i'm no limited by CPU...in a heavy modded Skyrim with ENB, ELFX...and all that eyecandy.

If you want to have a look on my modded skyrim se, you can check my mod list. But it is written in german, so you would have to read the mod description pages or search for diffrent guides: https://www.computerbase.de/forum/threads/lets-mod-skyrim-sse-tuning-guide.1631118 Here some 4k downsampling shots from me, how it can look:

skyrimse_2019_01_06_1ycezl.jpg
skyrimse_2019_01_06_1mzd51.jpg
skyrimse_2019_01_06_1gpiuy.jpg
skyrimse_2019_01_06_1tldxw.jpg

No worries, Skyrim is not going to be a primary Game what so ever, I play about a half a dozen to a dozen games each day, But i have a chance to get the best of the best but we decided to get an RTX 2080 because it is 100% equivalent to the GTX 1080 Ti, Yes, The 1080 Ti has 11 Gigs of Vram but that is two generations slower than the 8 gig RTX 2080 because it;s running on DDR6 not DDR4 or 5, Whichever, And 8 gigs of Vram is the same as 11 now since it can process at over 1 Terabyte a second, So the 2080 should do just fine, And no worries, Im no professional with modding but i definitely know exactly what im doing, My older setup has around 2166 mods with proper stability and such and of course Beth ini. But with gaming in general the i9 9900K is the top of the line CPU for any game now, in the future it wont even fall behind for at least two - 4 generations if i had to guess, While it only has a bit of a peak over i believe it was the i7 9700K im just doing what i can to future proof both my wife and i because a great and amazing friend of mine is building both my wife and i the same exact computer. But if we can skimp a few hundred on both CPU's we may throw in two 2080 Ti's for shits and giggles.

• 1 year later...