Does anyone else replicate themselves into Skyrim?

zalmahzalmah

Hello fellow Elder Scrolls & RPG fans!

As the topic says, does any of you "create yourself" in theese kinds of games?

When i play Skyrim in my playthroughs i most of the time clone myself into the game and making my character representing me as much as possible, idk why, for me it becomes very immersive in the way that you can essentially be yourself just like you are in the real world, but live in the world of Tamriel instead :laugh: :thumbsup:

Im a scandinavian in real life and pretty tall (6'3 / 190cm) wich obviously means im a Nord but i would have Imperial ancestors since my family originates from Belgium wich would be equivalent to the Imperial Province / Cyrodiil :laugh: and I even give myself a Nord first and surname based on my name in real life lol :D :laugh: :wink:

Does anyone else also do this, and if so what race among the human ones in the game represents / fits your real world body / gender the most? :laugh: :smile: I have never really been a fan of playing something different to what i am in real life and the other races dont really appeal to me that much :smile:

Edited by zalmahzalmah

Hate to sound like a buzzkill, but no, I don't want to see myself getting molested by Skyrim's wildlife or any game's for that matter. Further, it puts me at a disadvantage when I think, well damn if he can do it, why can't I, sort of mentality and gets rather damn depressing comparing yourself to your digital self.

That said, if I started to want to replicate myself in a game, I will just pour more effort into Life .

I used to in the beginning .... 2012. But then a couple of things happened.

First, I realized that I'm not a magi, soldier, elf, nord, orc, vampire or vampire hunter.

Second, someone asked a great question. Why not let your imagination go, and pretend to be the other races here? Imagine what it would be like to be a cat race or orc and so on?

So I quit being " myself " ... and allowed my inner child to pretend to be ..... what ever I want! :)

As far as avatar creation, yes. Everything I can get close to real life, I do. Height, resting expression, color, race, hairstyle, backstory, physical build, etc. Lip color is one of those things that is never quite right, haha. Games tend to treat "lip color" like "lipstick color" rather than how real life treats it as a health indicator.

I'll play around on the character creation screens to explore other racial combinations but ultimately fall back to "me." I am what I like. I'm not the epitome of physical strength, attractiveness, or intimidation, but somehow I don't desire that even in fantasy.

I also want to imagine stories with reference to myself. Do the other characters look intimidating in first person? Do these weapons look usable on my body frame? How hard would it be to enter combat versus all these bandits if I play like a human? How does it feel to stand in these buildings? How big is that dragon? Would my smug expression anger General Tullius?

I'm guilty of using the first playthroughs for achievements though. It's not until the second time around that I start trying to play as myself instead of just looking like myself.

Hate to sound like a buzzkill, but no, I don't want to see myself getting molested by Skyrim's wildlife or any game's for that matter. Further, it puts me at a disadvantage when I think, well damn if he can do it, why can't I

I generally feel like, even though they're usually saviors of the world or some nonsense, my characters are lesser versions of me. Not in a "I could cast lightning better in real life" kind of way, but ways like:

• "why is his walk and run so clunky and loud even when naked?" (somehow I have a quiet movement perk in real life)
  • "how can he run only 10 steps before huffing and be called a great warrior?" (even Geralt of Rivia is guilty)
  • "why can't he climb rocks correctly?"
  • "why can't he run AND jump?"
  • "why can't he manipulate objects in the world correctly?"
  • "why can't he pivot on his heels?"
  • "why can't he go prone?"
  • "how is it that the only unarmed combat he knows is swinging his fists without blocking or dodging?"
  • "the Dragonborn just got Fus-Ro-Dah'd with full contact along the floor and he can't somersault to a standing position?"

Maybe my feeling will be replaced with yours by the time the VR market matures to handle these issues and I can afford to join.

• 10 months later...

Please forgive my candor. but hell no. In real life I'm over 6 ft tall and only weigh about 160lbs. When I was married at age 28, (around 30 years ago) I was still over 6ft tall and I weighed in at 132lbs dripping wet.

I wouldn't last a heartbeat in Skyrim if I replicated myself.

I'm also quite reserved in real life, living more of a monk's life than that of a normal person. (part of the realworld cost for being a polymath is often social isolation)

so no. (although I admit I'd prefer being able to create a male character that isn't so thick they're a candidate for being a WWE star).

PS> although....I kinda do. My players in "D&D" type games always end up being generalists, having high skills in (single handed) blades, magic (both destructive and remedial) , conjuring, metallurgy, illusion, etc, but never specializing in any one.

Fairly close to my real self which is not hard to do with the stock PC selections. Considering I have a large band of attractive and capable followers and I have a number of Loverslab mods, my avatar has way more fun than I ever did.

• 2 years later...

Terrible thing to reply to an old topic but... it's too much stimulating.

Of course I replicate myself into Skyrim.

Surely, I think it's perfectly fine to immerse yourself in a whole another character. But, if videogames are a form of art, there must be some philosophical implications that can be brought into real life.

In my case, not only I am still quite young, so I look realistic in Dovahkiin's clothes, but I also find that - for me - the purpose of traveling through Skyrim is to bring as much as I can of that version of myself into the real world.

Expanding the concept: no, I can't perform magic with my hands, but I can (actually, I love) reading and studying hard a lot of subjects, and I always do experiments of all kinds at home. From this perspective, my character motivates me to pursue the potential of my personality.

At the same time, a lot of other qualities that Skyrim requires me to have, are things that I can put/improve in my real personality traits.

It's because of Skyrim that I've learnt to focus more properly on weekly objectives - they're similar to quests -, and it's because of Skyrim that I started to work out (because my character was fit); now I can proudly say that I am fit.

And for the other races, the trick is the same: if I were a very agile person (which I am not), with fast hands, I would have chosen a Kahjit, if I were a strong guy with a lot of energy, I would have chosen an Orc and so on...

For me, this possibility to clarify my life's path using a fictional land full of epic is an outstanding opportunity and a spiritual revelation.

Edited by Guest

When we first played, two of us, we replicated ourselves, as much as possible, ha, but got bored pretty quick looking at what we see every day. Then!

Then we realized we could be observing any kind of character, say, one way more wondrous! And perfected, or grossed up.

YET. . . .

If we could find a tutorial that shows us how to take a photo of ourselves, and transform it into a 3D head and then to a NIF, and maybe merge said-head with an idealized body mesh, all of it rigged, we would sure want to experiment with that.

A friend gave us Myst a few years ago, which was pretty advanced in its character creation process, and had pretty advanced tools for making pretty close clones of yourself.

FWIW.