Creating/Scripting Mods for Skyrim Special Edition

nexusmodsccc

Hi all,

I have been looking into this for a while, but it seems that nobody on the internet talk about this. Anyway, how can I begin to either learn to script mods or create and integrate various scripts and models into my game? I am aware that I can do this via the creation kit, but I'm pretty sure that it is very limiting as well as the fact that I would rather not pay money to script my game.

If someone can refer me to either a tutorial or just tell me which files to modify, and what I should use to open and edit them in.

Thanks

Creation kit is free. No need to pay for it. It's also pretty much the best tool to use for creating mods...... Of course, depending on what you want to do, you will likely require other tools. (most of which are also free.....) SkyrimSE uses papyrus for scripting, and I *think* we have some tutorials on TES Alliance. (and also some classes to get you familiar with how the CK works..... Link in my sig.) It's not real comprehensive, but, it will get you started.

if you know C or Java you can pick up Papyrus scripting quite easily, if you don't, picking up C shouldn't be that hard (takes less than 2 hours a day for a good month and you should know 70% if not more of the core ins and outs of it). By then just use Notepad++ and script through it; Lastly, despite what you say, there is quite a bit of helpful advice, knowledge, and guides to scripting for skyrim. Google is your friend (it was/is mine.)

It depends what are you trying to achieve. Take the notepad, write down your goals, step by step, with descriptions. Then - just do it. If you stuck - search until you will find the answer. Youtube / google / forums etc. Step by step.

My first problem with scripting was... how the hell can I add or remove gold from PC or NPC by dialogue. I found the solution. Now problems grow, solutions are more dificult to find.

When you learn how it all works, you will have better understanding what you need to do. And how to do it.

It all depends what you're trying to achieve. If you want to be a proffesional - learn script languages, as above. If you want to have fun - just do it. Search, learn, do it. Don't be afraid it's too hard. No, it isn't :-)

• 1 year later...
The problem is this, everyone just rattles their jaw and don't help in anyway! I have searched the web, trying to learn simple scripts for SSE, but all I find is folks just rattling their jaw and don't even help a person out. I even asked modders for their input on how they accomplished a simple script for their mods. But as usual, no one wants to put forth any useful information. Everything seems to be a guarded secret, as someone might do something better than the person that has knowledge but does not want to share it. I guess rattling your jaw with no useful information is everyone's trend these days! Trying to understand what is written in the guide for the CK is somewhat per-found, just enough to get you interested but Behold if you want to succeed! Because no one wants to help explain things and when they do..... it is just jaw rattling! Why? Because it is nothen more then what you already read, and they themselves can not even register what and how they accomplish creating a simple script!

The tutorials in the wiki are obscure and dont cover everything. They just list the functions, and they seem to imply you already know some programming language.

For example, I tried to apply conditions to the follower package, which would be used together with travel packages to turn a follower into a enemy temporarily, and then into a follower again after the end of the civil war: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/8302333-how-to-make-a-boss-flee/page-3

The follower would still be essential, but would flee to different locations defined in the travel packages, until the war was over. The first condition would be triggered by the first civil war quest.

It happened that the condition didnt trigger during testing, which made me drop the project. Instead I'm going for a separated esp with a surrogate in it, to be used only for roleplaying purposes. Needless to say that I will not release it, since the player would have two versions of the same character.