Supported Games and Game Detection Seems Broken

mawcs

I just had to reinstall Windows. I'm finally at a point where I'm installing games and feeling like I want to mod my games. I just installed Vortex 0.16.15 and I set up my game search paths. On the "Games" tab, the "supported" games list games 9 games. Two of them I own (Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and No Man's Sky). The remaining 7 I do not own.

My "Discovered" tab has two games, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and No Man's Sky. The rest of my games are not "discovered" and there's no way to add the games from the "supported" tab because it only has 9 games.

I saw this topic, but it doesn't look like anything was resolved.

Do I need to switch to an older build?

I closed Vortex and re-opened it. Now my "Discovered" games are zero and it says it can't find the paths to the two games it found previously. The games are still there, I can navigate to the folders in Explorer, but when I click "Manually Set Location" it doesn't have any effect. No "Search for Games" no longer works.

I've also discovered that if I change the downloads folder, it resets to the default.

This software feels like it's not ready for prime time.

I'm going to uninstall this version and go back a few versions to see if that makes a difference.

Interesting, I'm using 0.16.15, and have 32 games detected, I wonder if it has to do with me upgrading to 0.16.15 rather than installing 0.16.15 for the first time

Definitely fill out the feedback form by clicking on the three vertical dots up by your avatar (in Vortex) and fill out the feedback form

Also, where did you set your Mod Staging Folder?

If you just reinstalled Windows, you lost all the game related registry information.

Um, of course. I never said anything about me expecting old install data to be available. Consider this a "fresh install."

What steps did you take to reinstall Steam and your games?

I ran the installers. What other steps are there?

Only other thing I can note, that some find confusing:

Games can only be in one of the three states: Managed, Discovered, and Supported.

Once vortex has found a game, it becomes Discovered, and is no longer listed as Supported.

Once you create a profile for a Discovered game, it becomes Managed and is not listed in the other two categories.

For example, I show 10 games under managed, zero under Discovered (I manage them all), and 8 under Supported. These I don't have at all.

On the Supported tab, each of those games has a click button to manually set path if I really do have it.

Only other thing I can note, that some find confusing:

Games can only be in one of the three states: Managed, Discovered, and Supported.

Once vortex has found a game, it becomes Discovered, and is no longer listed as Supported.

Once you create a profile for a Discovered game, it becomes Managed and is not listed in the other two categories.

For example, I show 10 games under managed, zero under Discovered (I manage them all), and 8 under Supported. These I don't have at all.

On the Supported tab, each of those games has a click button to manually set path if I really do have it.

I'm not confused on how it's supposed to work.

I just installed 0.13.3 and TADA! 27 games in the "Supported" tab. Almost all of my installed games show up on the "Discovered" tab (No Man's Sky is missing, but I'm not surprised). So, this confirms my suspicion: There is a bug in supported/discovered games functionality that was introduced somewhere after 0.13.3 and before 0.16.8. I've tried 0.16.8, 0.16.10, and 0.16.15 and each of those has the defect.

I'm going to manage my games and then "upgrade" to the latest to see what happens.

Definitely fill out the feedback form by clicking on the three vertical dots up by your avatar (in Vortex) and fill out the feedback form

There is no Feedback link on a fresh install of 0.16.8, 0.16.10, or 0.16.15.