Nexus Mods API released

Pickysaurus

In response to post #67632606. #67634316 is also a reply to the same post.

MrJohn wrote: What is the reasoning for the user-rate limiting?
DoctorKaizeld wrote: what user rate limiting?

The new API features an account based limit of 2500 daily requests, after which you get an extra 100 each hour.
If you are with no requests left, all nexus requests are blocked (this includes downloading manually).
Downloading a file is 2-3 requests, checking a mod for file updates is 1-2 requests. Logging In uses requests as well.

Limiting API calls is standard procedure to avoid overloading servers with requests, slowing them down. Otherwise the API functionality might get compromised for everyone because someone is abusing it.
This particular implementation is pretty simplistic, but should serve it's purpose well.
Nexus staff mentioned that they are monitoring usage and will adjust the limits in case they deem it necessary. Edited by al12rs

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #67632416. #67634251 is also a reply to the same post.

GuruJuju wrote: "Applications should send a valid user agent string identifying the application/library they are using and system information. This allows us to collect statistics and aides with debugging potential problems." What does that mean?
Kerber100 wrote: Nexus will be able to tell us what is most popular mod manager, its version, operation system distribution among users and such info.

yea and the apps we use and the websites we visit?

In response to post #67632416. #67634251, #67635721 are all replies on the same post.

GuruJuju wrote: "Applications should send a valid user agent string identifying the application/library they are using and system information. This allows us to collect statistics and aides with debugging potential problems." What does that mean?
Kerber100 wrote: Nexus will be able to tell us what is most popular mod manager, its version, operation system distribution among users and such info.
GuruJuju wrote: yea and the apps we use and the websites we visit?

This kind of info is not collected. It's just your mod manager and OS name and version. Your web browser sends similar info like this:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/72.0.3626.96 Safari/537.36

Here, check your user-agent.

Edited by Kerber100

In response to post #67632416. #67634251, #67635721, #67635836 are all replies on the same post.

GuruJuju wrote: yea and the apps we use and the websites we visit?
Kerber100 wrote: This kind of info is not collected. It's just your mod manager and OS name and version. Your web browser sends similar info like this:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/72.0.3626.96 Safari/537.36

Here, check your user-agent.

I will investigate further

In response to post #67632606. #67634316, #67634966 are all replies on the same post.

al12rs wrote: The new API features an account based limit of 2500 daily requests, after which you get an extra 100 each hour.
If you are with no requests left, all nexus requests are blocked (this includes downloading manually).
Downloading a file is 2-3 requests, checking a mod for file updates is 1-2 requests. Logging In uses requests as well.

Limiting API calls is standard procedure to avoid overloading servers with requests, slowing them down. Otherwise the API functionality might get compromised for everyone because someone is abusing it.
This particular implementation is pretty simplistic, but should serve it's purpose well.
Nexus staff mentioned that they are monitoring usage and will adjust the limits in case they deem it necessary.

Ooooh that

In response to post #67632451. #67632701, #67633716 are all replies on the same post.

al12rs wrote: Congrats for the release!

As people on the Mod Organizer 2 discord know, we are already testing dev builds with the new API, so you can rest assured MO2 will get an update in time to support the change. (It has been in the works already for a while)

About MO1, there hasn't been any discussion yet about updating it. Since the update does take quite a considerable amount of time an effort, it could be that there is no one with enough free time to dedicate to it.
Moksha8088 wrote: Wondering if the tried, true, and trustworthy Nexus Mod Manager found on GitHub will also be updated with this feature?
al12rs wrote: There are sill people that are fond of NMM, despite the fact that that it's no longer supported. I do believe someone of the long term fans might update it, even though I personally don't agree on that trustworthiness statement.
Like with MO1 it all depends on whether there is someone there willing to put in the time and effort.
Nexus staff will, understandably, not update NMM.

Yours truly is sticking with NMM for the simple fact that any attempt to migrate a 1,000+ Active Mods installation from NMM to Vortex is sure to FAIL on an EPIC SCALE. I'm not about to play literal Russian roulette with my modded Skyrim SE installation. Hopefully NMM will be updated to support the new API at some point since I cannot migrate my entire modded install from NMM to Vortex.

In response to post #67632606. #67634316, #67634966, #67636786 are all replies on the same post.

al12rs wrote: The new API features an account based limit of 2500 daily requests, after which you get an extra 100 each hour.

Nexus staff mentioned that they are monitoring usage and will adjust the limits in case they deem it necessary.
DoctorKaizeld wrote: Ooooh that

Among other things it slows down file scraping from people downloading all mods in mass to illegally host on their own sites.

In response to post #67637061.

volvaga0 wrote: oooooo this API sounds very interesting. I might have to update my 'ENB and ReShade Manager' and make good use of it!
I already pull data from the Nexus, but this should hopefully make it more streamlined. Nice one!

If you're interested in talking about this further, please drop me a PM with any questions :)

In response to post #67632751.

Moksha8088 wrote: Wonder if the tried, true, and trustworthy Nexus Mod Manager found on GitHub will also be adding this feature as mentioned with MO2?

As the article says, we've already made contact with the creators of some of the popular modding tools, that includes NMM. Edited by Pickysaurus