Games That Can Last Hours

FlyIgnite

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of above are good suggestions. I would add "Borderlands" for good measure. All of them. Actually, you could play a game like "Borderlands 2" for the rest of your life. Mind you though - that's not because of the amount of content, but because of the grind... Not just farming, but real grind, with those "hilarious" loot drop rates and overpowered, bullet-spongy raid bosses. :pinch:

Still, completing all main and side quests in just "BL 2" with all DLCs can take a lot of time, even if you are skilled and lucky, so you don't have to farm that much. "Head Hunt" packs are a different thing, they are very short, so you can easily forget about them, unless you really want that full experience. Also, "Borderlands 3" is coming soon...

"Ghost Recon: Wildlands" is a game that took quite a lot of my time to complete; after all you have whole Bolivia to see there. It took me way more time to complete this, than "Far Cry 5", which I personally consider to be inferior game for variety of reasons. In "GR: Wildlands" you can actually enjoy planning your actions slowly and methodically and then executing them to the point. Or you can "rambo" a particular place, but that's often discouraged by the game. There's also "hidden" ending that becomes available after you complete the campaign once.

I would also agree with "Mass Effect" trilogy. It has great replayability potential. You can play as male or female, straight or gay, be goody-two-shoes or a total d*ck, and all of that actually has an effect on game world and NPCs, so after completing all three games you can start over and have totally different experience. Not to mention discovering those small details, that you've missed before.

For the very same reason I would recommend playing original "Fallout" games, especially "Fallout 2" (first part has a time limit, that gets enabled after you get far enough into the story). Unlike Bethesda's version, in the original games you can't become a "Jack Of All Trades". Perks are rare, typically one every three levels, each skill is capped at 300%, instead of 100%, so it is actually hard to become a true master of even ONE of those. Each character build is somewhat unique, and you have to choose. You can be an illiterate retard, whose muscles have their own muscles. All of your dialogue options will be limited to "Grablahblaaargh!" and you will HAVE to solve every problem with your fists. Or you can play as nerdy, skinny chick with high intelligence, who is good at fixing things and breaking into terminals, but in combat needs to rely on ranged weapons, just not too heavy; preferably sniper rifles. Or you can be a wandering doctor... Or tanky caravan guard, good with heavy weapons and not much else... Long story short, it is NOT possible to complete every single quest with just one char, within one playthrough. Finishing this game just makes you want to immediately start over with a different character build, unlike - say - "Skyrim", where you play bow master turned blacksmith, turned Archmage, turned Master of a Thief Guild, turned Vampire Hunter, turned...well, you get the point. Nothing against "Skyrim" or Bethesda's "Fallouts", these are enjoyable games in their own rights, they just want you to do everything and be everyone in one go, which severely limits their replayability value. Not to mention the "crisis of identity" effect. At least for me it's hard to roleplay a character, which is supposed to change its profession and skillset every half an hour. But that's me, and that's my personal opinion. I still recommend playing these old "Fallouts", if you can get past the ancient visuals and game mechanics shortcomings.

People have mentioned games like "Civilization" or "Homeworld". On that note, I would add one of the "X" games. "X2: The Threat" was my favorite, but generally the whole series offers great freedom for the player - you can be a fighter pilot for a local police force or a pirate, you can ferry people between star systems or haul resources to and from orbital factories. At some point, you can even become an industrial magnate, building your own factory chains, with facilities supplying each other with basic resources, so you can manufacture some complicated and highly demanded commodities at the very end of such chain. When you become filthy rich, you can buy your own heavy cruiser and set off to explore the universe. Oh, and you can follow the game story, too :laugh:

There's also "Sins of a Solar Empire". Quite similar to "Homeworld", it even shares some spaceship models with that classic game. It doesn't have any campaign, though, it's just a series of bigger or smaller maps. Lots and lots of maps. There's some building and micromanaging, but unlike "Homeworld" it is oriented purely on those massive, epic space battles between whole armadas. Mostly it is a PvP game, but playing with AI opponents can be satysfying too, as you can customize them to your liking. There are expansions available, that add quite a lot to the base game, like rebel factions, space stations or diplomacy ships (and diplomacy mechanics). There are some great mods for this game too, allowing you to own armadas of ships from "Star Trek", "Star Wars" or "Battlestar Galactica".

At present moment, I have 1,789 hours logged in Fallout: New Vegas and 1,754 in Team Fortress 2. I'd say that says plenty.

No Man's Sky

Forget the bad release, just about everything they promised is now in the game, its had a fair few major overhauls in the past 3 years (Foundation / Pathfinder / Atlas Rises / Next / The Abyss / Visions). HelloGames stayed true to their word and are still developing it.

Another major update is expected this summer, titled No Man's Sky Beyond, which again will be free for all current owners. Single player, Online MP, VR

Its also half price on steam (it was half price in the GOG Indie sales a few weeks ago) ..
And its No.4 on the global selling list
Cxb7tUh.png
Edited by Guest

• 4 months later...

No Man's Sky

Forget the bad release, just about everything they promised is now in the game, its had a fair few major overhauls in the past 3 years (Foundation / Pathfinder / Atlas Rises / Next / The Abyss / Visions). HelloGames stayed true to their word and are still developing it.

Another major update is expected this summer, titled No Man's Sky Beyond, which again will be free for all current owners. Single player, Online MP, VR

Its also half price on steam (it was half price in the GOG Indie sales a few weeks ago) ..
And its No.4 on the global selling list
Cxb7tUh.png

Wow Im glad I saw this post. Would have never heard of the game otherwise. Might check it out soon.

• 1 month later...

Mount & Blade: Warband (same as with Skyrim it has an extended life due to mods, for instance the "Last Days of the Third Age" LOTR mod, Prophecy of Pendor, etc.)

Any of the Paradox Grand Strategy games like Crusader Kings 2 (CK3 coming next year!), Europa Universalis 4, or Stellaris. To a lesser degree Imperator Rome (poor release, but has gotten some love in form of major updates and free content)

Rimworld can last you a long time. Just don't get too attached to your colonists!

Fallout 4 2,036 h

TESO 1,018 h

Skyrim SE 778 h

Skyrim LE 445 h

Fallout New Vegas 341 h

Legend of Grimrock 2 226 h

Might and Magic Legacy 195 h

Rise of Nations 165 h

Fable: The Lost Chapters 156 h

Titan Quest 147 h

Wasteland 2 144 h

Morrowind 126

Torchlight 2 121

Saints Row The Third 116

Risen 96 h

VtM Bloodlines 94 h

Prey 87 h

KOTOR 2 87 h

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 86 h

Enderal Forgotten Stories 85 h

D&D Online 84 h

Risen 2 82 h

Mad Max 79 h

In Oblivion I have two characters who have the regular game named saves that include time played stats and a single character who used custom named console saves.

First guy (aka My Old Guy) - 1521 hrs

My current guy (aka Athal Sarano) - 4449 hrs

The character in between those two who used console named saves was probably close to My Old Guy for hours, but without the stat from the save file I won't count them. Total hours of 6794 is impressive HadTo :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

OOlite.

It's a free open source spin off of the space trader game Elite.

The quality of the graphics and game play puts most of the commercial games to shame.

I have been playing it since the early 80's and it keeps evolving to make you want a better PC.

Though can be played on the most basic PC's as well.

The whole game and mods are written by the people that play it. There are literally thousands of mods

to make your game actually your game.

There are 2 real points in the game. The easier one is becoming Elite. The second is designing and building you own ship.

I had never done anything like that. The game members made it quite easy.

Unlike most games, it does not start in the paddle pool. As one writer said, It throws you in the deep end and just for fun puts some bricks in your pockets

Of course now there is an academy that someone wrote for it. I had already became Elite years before that happened.

There is no win or end to this game. It just keeps growing.

You can play any role, Trader, Pirate, Bounty hunter, Join a war, be a taxi driver. Or all of them at the same time.

And there are a whole heap of missions you can load.

You will never visit every planet system in your real life time.

So this game is not measured in hours, but years.