Map Marker within settlement border is mirroring settlement stats

pvtparts253

I added a MapMarker and linked XMarkerHeading in front of the Jahani house root cellar entrance in SanctuaryExt05. The icon shows up on the PipBoy map, but it is mirroring the settlement stats from the Sanctuary settlement icon on the map.

To test, I placed another MapMarker and linked XMarkerHeading in SanctuaryExt05 and confirmed it's map icon also mirrored the population/happiness stats from the Sanctuary settlement.

So, my newbie question for today is: Is there anyway I can turn this action off for a specific map marker within a settlement border, or am I doomed to clutter up the map with spurious settlement stats?

Yes, that happens. If you have Tales from the Commonwealth, Boston Bordello will also show stats for Hangman's Alley, and might even take over as the marker where the supply lines point to. If you have Kenmore Subway Station, or my inofficial fix for it, Fens Way Subway Station, the Auction House might do that, too.

It seems to occur if you add a marker into a cell which has the same Location record assigned as the settlement's cells.

I think it's harmless, if somewhat annoying. What annoys me the most is how hard it sometimes is to make map markers work for some custom settlements, and here that feature suddenly happens uninvited...

You could try placing your map marker outside of Sanctuary. In a cell which has another Location and Encounter Zone than Sanctuary itself. Then, use a script to move it to whenever you want. I never tried that, but it might actually work...

Pra just said everything I was going to say. Its a quirk of the game engine - I have several that do that. Can't be helped when cells overlap.

EDIT: To add to Pra's list, Unique NPCS: Creatures added a house near Greentop Nursery (I've yet to figure out what it is for), and my provisioner's marker goes to that (on the map) instead of Greentop, but everything still works fine. You'll see the Prydwen do this as well, if you side with the Brotherhood (overlaps with Boston Airport).

Yes, that happens. If you have Tales from the Commonwealth, Boston Bordello will also show stats for Hangman's Alley, and might even take over as the marker where the supply lines point to. If you have Kenmore Subway Station, or my inofficial fix for it, Fens Way Subway Station, the Auction House might do that, too.

It seems to occur if you add a marker into a cell which has the same Location record assigned as the settlement's cells.

I think it's harmless, if somewhat annoying. What annoys me the most is how hard it sometimes is to make map markers work for some custom settlements, and here that feature suddenly happens uninvited...

You could try placing your map marker outside of Sanctuary. In a cell which has another Location and Encounter Zone than Sanctuary itself. Then, use a script to move it to whenever you want. I never tried that, but it might actually work...

Thanks, Pra, I had a feeling that was going to be the case. I think your suggestion about moving the map marker outside of Sanctuary is a good one, I believe the cell boundary is just on the other side of the backyard; I just wanted a map icon to fast travel to, so the map marker doesn't actually need to be right at the location, only the XMarkerHeading.