Taking down the GameFront files

Dark0ne

Back in April 2016 the owners of GameFront.com, Defy Media, announced that they would be shutting the site down within two weeks and that all the mods hosted on their site would no longer be available.

In order to save over 60,000 mods that would otherwise have been lost entirely, we spent hundreds of hours archiving every mod that we could from GameFront and eventually provided them for download here at Nexus Mods over the course of many months.

Thankfully, with outside help, the staff of GameFront were able to reclaim the domain name and created a new site to host all the mods that had been lost when GameFront went down.  This new site launched in March 2018.

Members of their team were quick to get in contact with us and chat about our GameFront file archive. We offered straight away to remove all the files that had been archived, as GameFront was now back up, but they were happy for us to keep the files up as a secondary backup source for their files. In return, we agreed to link back to the original file on the new GameFront site as a sign of respect.

Unfortunately, we've now been informed by the GameFront staff that other sites have now tried to exploit this situation by claiming that if Nexus Mods can host the files, so can they. We think trying to compare uploading the files to other sites now that GameFront is actually back, to us archiving the files back when GameFront went down and looked likely to never come back is, frankly, disingenuous. However, I'm not surprised by what I've been told considering who is involved.

At the request of the GameFront staff and to help them with this situation, we have agreed to take down the files we archived back in 2016. These files will continue to be available on GameFront for the foreseeable future and a link to this message will be shown on any files we were originally hosting from the archiving process.

We hope this puts an end to the unfortunate situation that the GameFront staff have had to deal with recently and I want to personally thank them for their work over the years, and the respectful way in which they've communicated with us on these issues. I wish them all the best.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #67073251. #67074226 is also a reply to the same post.

Veratai wrote: a right decision, i think oO GameFront stuff belongs to them, not to some sites that want to misinterpret nexus help as their 'example that they can'
Viekang wrote: Which site do they mean? I am honestly curious.

They'll never tell I expect.