Taking down the GameFront files

Dark0ne

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #67120086. #67127056, #67130781, #67131481, #67131561 are all replies on the same post.

GeorgeCorbul wrote: Isn't it the original authors' own business where their files are hosted? I know that many of the old modders have moved on (long ago even), but still, if those that are still around wouldn't want their stuff uploaded anywhere other than GameFront and the Nexus, who can argue with them?
Speaking of which, what mods will be moved to GF exactly?
LunarDarkness wrote: This. Exactly what I said, too. Why is it GameFront's concern where these mods are placed? They were created by the modders and only hosted by GameFront and NexusMods. If the modders really can't stand their content being shared on another site, they can make the complaints. Instead NexusMods and GameFront made the decision for everyone and now it's a pain in the ass to look through the more obsure and underserved games' mods (no screenshots).

...whatever. Hopefully it'll all get sorted, but I'm not holding my breath.
axonis wrote: They were created by the modders and only hosted by GameFront and NexusMods.

They were uploaded at GameFront by the authors.

They were copied at Nexusmods without authorization.
Pickysaurus wrote: I'm not sure you got that right axonis.

Modders shared their files at GameFront

When GameFront was at risk of closing down forever, Nexus Mods took a backup copy and shared them here (with GameFront's permission).

The 3rd parties the article refers to were using that as a justification for taking mods from GameFront to add to their own service.
Ethreon wrote: This is the kind of mentality that corps have.

Yes. This is the problem.

Why not keep the pages active on Nexus and instead of hosting the file have a link to GameFront? Maybe host the file until it is back on GameFront and then link it after it is active back on the original site?

I don't know how much of an overhead this would cause however so I'll admit my ignorance to it.

In response to post #67618751.

ThePilot wrote:

Just a heads-up to the admins, the "Green Grass Dantooine (v2.0)" mod for KOTOR 1 isn't on GameFront (that I can find), but it's been taken down from the Nexus. Could y'all look into that please?

Thanks!

You'd be better off talking to us at GameFront if you think there's anything missing and we can look into why it may be missing and fix it. :)

In response to post #67570251.

THEMOD300 wrote: I think Nexus should still have the Gamefront mods at least until they upload all the mods to Gamefront which they haven't done yet.

There *shouldn't* be anything missing. If you think there is, open a support ticket on GameFront and let us know and we can fix it. Edited by FileTrekker

Well that sucks. I get where gamesfront is coming from but they couldve left them up on the nexus as a backup. Screw the other sites hosting anything since you had a legitimate reason for putting these on nexus. I would've never found mods for Stalker games if they weren't on nexus. I don't know other modding sites aside from GUN and i cant stand them; and now gamesfront i suppose.

In response to post #67714036.

Crypto341 wrote: Well that sucks. I get where gamesfront is coming from but they couldve left them up on the nexus as a backup. Screw the other sites hosting anything since you had a legitimate reason for putting these on nexus. I would've never found mods for Stalker games if they weren't on nexus. I don't know other modding sites aside from GUN and i cant stand them; and now gamesfront i suppose.

Screw the other sites hosting anything since you had a legitimate reason for putting these on nexus.

As legitimate as anyone hosting mods without authorization. But in your logic, when the Nexus copies mods without authorization it's "archiving", when others do the same, it's "mod theft". Edited by axonis