Taking down the GameFront files

Dark0ne

In response to post #67112626. #67115681, #67124886, #67127016, #67146156 are all replies on the same post.

DarthCruciare wrote: Well done. You must have Canadian blood in you, because this is the most polite 'go f*#@ yourself for f*#@ing us over' that I've ever read. GameFront looks to be a website that officially killed the golden goose. They had a good thing going, but then got greedy, and now, they get nothing.
FileTrekker wrote: There's no bad blood at all between us and Nexus, I have a lot of time and respect for Robin and he's been super supportive. All I would say to that though is to not confuse the corporate entities who owned and mismanaged GameFront with the volunteers who have tried to keep it going and are now running it, trust me I'd be the first in line to agree with you with regards to Ziff Davis Media or Defy Media. I call them out by name now because they're gone and bust for the reasons you stated so I doubt they'll come after me for breaking my NDA. But they aren't around anymore. All that's left is the good bits (we like to think) and we're not financially motivated.
DaedalusMachina007 wrote: Just read up on this:
https://adage.com/article/digital/defy-media-programmatic-business-exit-publishers-unpaid/313754/

Holy schtako...what a flipping cow of a mess! =O
I hope each and every executive at Ziff Davis Media and Defy Media get raked through the coals for the trash they've inflicted upon so many people not being paid for work they did :(
LunarDarkness wrote: That's just f*#@in' swell, guys. Thanks to you it's now twice as much of a chore to browse Black and White 1/2 mods, because everything on your site has no screenshots to show off the mods. Gonna be real fun to find the race changing mods I decided not to download two days ago.

You know these mods aren't yours, right? Just because you hosted them once doesn't make them yours. It's up to individual modders whether they want their content hosts on another site and if they have a problem with it, they could have contacted NexusMods themselves.

I'd say "I don't mean to be pissy" but I honestly really do. Your little pissing contests has done the community no f*#@ing good. Thanks for nothing.
Roccondil wrote: @LunarDarkness... I just checked the Black&White filepages, and I see a bunch of the mods that have screenshots for them... not sure what's got your panties in a twist...

You may need to ensure you're using gamefront dot com and not the .online site which is a broken old illegal mirror. Ours should have all the screenshots Nexus does as they graciously helped us in that regard.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #67073251. #67074226, #67074811 are all replies on the same post.

Veratai wrote: a right decision, i think oO GameFront stuff belongs to them, not to some sites that want to misinterpret nexus help as their 'example that they can'
Viekang wrote: Which site do they mean? I am honestly curious.
Nytram wrote: They'll never tell I expect.

From the salt I'm seeing out of Robin I think I can hazard a guess. People who seem to have made it their mission to screw the modding community any which way they can if it has a possibility of turning a profit. I could be wrong, but I get the feeling if that issue was allowed to continue they'd turn up in the middle of it eventually anyway, like a bad penny.

I do think the idea of a legal partnership to remove that lure for grifters looking for somewhere to latch on to isn't a bad idea, though. I'd feel a lot more comfortable knowing the modding site I use has a legit affiliate ready to step in if the worst should happen. I'd imagine GameFront users would feel the same, especially since it already happened once. Edited by literallybyronic

Another angle to this kind of thing is for reputable gaming sites to consider an old/new thing: the venerable webring. Under this umbrella, much less of a stretch for members to act as mirrors when a disaster occurs.

In response to post #67080591. #67080751, #67080816, #67085126, #67085821, #67085986, #67095611 are all replies on the same post.

Moksha8088 wrote: That was a short-sighted decision on the part of GameFront and certainly not in the best long-term interest of their game users. A redundancy of game sources is good and as the saying goes, "it is not putting all your eggs in a single basket".
Arthmoor wrote: This wasn't Gamefront being a jackass. It was whoever the other parties are that are the jackasses.

That said, I find it ironic that you say redundancy is good since so many people have this bizarre attitude that it either goes on Nexus or nobody gets it. A situation like this could be financially very bad for Nexus and could possibly get them shut down. Then where are all those "Nexus only" mods supposed to go if people never upload anywhere else?
Dark0ne wrote: Yes, just to clarify again, this is not GameFront's fault and I understand why they've asked us to do this. It saves a lot of hassle for them and they're perfectly within their rights to do it, considering the backups are no longer required.

I'm sure some people in the community will be able to guess who might have caused these issues.
FelesNoctis wrote: @Moksha8088
Something to also consider is that if they were to end up in a situation where they'll down again, it could essentially be a repeat of the last time: the Nexus could step in once more and offer to back things up like it did previously.

As for those Nexus Only mods, that's always seemed like such a strange concept to me. It's hard to imagine that anybody believes that actually works. Sure, maybe it acts as a deterrent on the more prominent mod-hosting locations and discourages people trying to sell someone else's content, but you'll find mods uploaded all the time to russian- chinese-/brazilian-/whatever sites without permission, there's the Wayback Machine, and methods of mod piracy are very easy to come by. Hell, I'll admit I used those resources a few times to find something important to me that had mysteriously disappeared with no explanation.

Regardless, redundancy is certainly a good thing, but the original agreement in a sense was just for archival purposes. Now that there's unscrupulous people trying to take advantage of the precedent set, things have changed. If you're incredibly concerned about losing mods that you love, you can always back them up yourself. Hell, I need to buy a new external drive for that exact reason. My current 4TB is full!

EDIT:
Oh man, and they updated their UI as well. When I stumbled across them a month or so ago their games list in the Files category wasn't even sorted alphabetically, and everything felt really clunky to navigate. Good on them!
MadMikeyB wrote: We're constantly working on improving the UI and site as a whole, really glad you noticed the changes. :)
FelesNoctis wrote: Oh absolutely! Sometimes the smallest changes can make the biggest impact, and things certainly feel smoother than the last time I was there, so great job! =D

EDIT:
Speaking of small things, apparently the Nexus has decided I'm not allowed to use emotes. Blah!
Lordkabal26 wrote: @FelesNoctis you likely didn't have the: Use emoticons checkbox checked ;)

I wish that was the case. I don't think I'd make the same mistake all four attempts though. :P Edited by FelesNoctis

*sigh* Yet another example of the human race being scum... and trying to exploit things because legal language loves loopholes. Shame to see the partnership go under because people can't understand a simple concept, but I'm glad to see the two of you getting along at least despite everything else blowing up around you guys. Best to you both.

In response to post #67112626. #67115681, #67124886, #67127016, #67146156, #67156841 are all replies on the same post.

DarthCruciare wrote: Well done. You must have Canadian blood in you, because this is the most polite 'go f*#@ yourself for f*#@ing us over' that I've ever read. GameFront looks to be a website that officially killed the golden goose. They had a good thing going, but then got greedy, and now, they get nothing.
FileTrekker wrote: There's no bad blood at all between us and Nexus, I have a lot of time and respect for Robin and he's been super supportive. All I would say to that though is to not confuse the corporate entities who owned and mismanaged GameFront with the volunteers who have tried to keep it going and are now running it, trust me I'd be the first in line to agree with you with regards to Ziff Davis Media or Defy Media. I call them out by name now because they're gone and bust for the reasons you stated so I doubt they'll come after me for breaking my NDA. But they aren't around anymore. All that's left is the good bits (we like to think) and we're not financially motivated.
DaedalusMachina007 wrote: Just read up on this:
https://adage.com/article/digital/defy-media-programmatic-business-exit-publishers-unpaid/313754/

Holy schtako...what a flipping cow of a mess! =O
I hope each and every executive at Ziff Davis Media and Defy Media get raked through the coals for the trash they've inflicted upon so many people not being paid for work they did :(
LunarDarkness wrote: That's just f*#@in' swell, guys. Thanks to you it's now twice as much of a chore to browse Black and White 1/2 mods, because everything on your site has no screenshots to show off the mods. Gonna be real fun to find the race changing mods I decided not to download two days ago.

You know these mods aren't yours, right? Just because you hosted them once doesn't make them yours. It's up to individual modders whether they want their content hosts on another site and if they have a problem with it, they could have contacted NexusMods themselves.

I'd say "I don't mean to be pissy" but I honestly really do. Your little pissing contests has done the community no f*#@ing good. Thanks for nothing.
Roccondil wrote: @LunarDarkness... I just checked the Black&White filepages, and I see a bunch of the mods that have screenshots for them... not sure what's got your panties in a twist...
FileTrekker wrote: You may need to ensure you're using gamefront dot com and not the .online site which is a broken old illegal mirror. Ours should have all the screenshots Nexus does as they graciously helped us in that regard.

Its these little rants of entitlement from little children that makes a distasteful situation even more so.

@Dark0ne

Wow that sucks! But it goes to show what happens when...let's call them "trolls" to be polite... go around exploiting otherwise reasonable communities; the trolls just keep poking the bear until they ruin it for everyone, especially the average site users.

I see some of the other posts suggest creating a more exclusive partnership with GameFront as a solution, if Nexus & GF could get a deal worked that keeps the partnership, but legally excludes unwanted/unauthorized 3rd parties, that would be great.

In response to post #67225736.

irishlad101 wrote: the sad thing is they haven't even uploaded any of ships or mods from star trek legacy to there website and its alittle bit better for star trek bridge commander page but not much

Do you mean GF? The full collection of Star Trek Legacy ships / mods are intact here, there's over 1,000 of them - https://www.gamefront.com/games/star-trek-legacy Edited by FileTrekker