Opening the Mouth Up in Blender 2.49b

SirBeastling

I was wondering if there was a really easy way to open up the mouth in blender so that both the top and bottom are facing upward. I am trying to get a good look at the Khajiit mouth and to be able to see the tongue, but blender 2.49b seems abhorrent to any huge changes to a mesh.

If there is no way to open the mouth, is there a way to get inside the mouth like Blender 2.79b has the option to if you zoom in enough? (I am not able to get export to work in 2.79b which is why I am using 2.49b).

Would the tri be able to convert to a nif easily or would I need to export it as an obj file first before bringing it back into a nif file?

Also, is there not just a way that I could change where the rotational center is on the mouth (moving it from the center of all the selected vertices to an edge to make it like a hinge) and work from there? I ask because I know that if I edit the mouth file or add new vertices as I plan to do, I will need to recreate the tri files.

Thank you for the help.

The tri can be exported as a nif. What you would need to do is remove all the shape keys except for what you want and then scale down the size in edit mode and realign it with the normal mouth position. I believe you would scale it down to .1 to match the normal size of the mouth nif. After that you might have to remove some extra data in nifskope. Whether or not the new nif would still be compatible with the tri I'm not sure about, it's all about the vertices order, if you scale it in edit mode it might work. Blender changes the vertices order when importing a nif, and that's why we import the object, but as far as I know it doesn't change the order on export.

If you're going to create a new tri file that will mean recreating 32 shape keys for expressions, and possibly you might need a new chargen tri as well.

If the tri files really isn't an issue, then what I would do is separate the upper and lower mouth into 2 separate parts. In edit mode "p" key and separate loose parts. That will leave you with the teeth all separate and the tung separate while the upper and lower shell is still one piece like a clam. In edit mode face select and select all the upper mouth faces and then "p" key separate selected. At that point rejoin all the upper parts into one piece and all the lower parts into another piece and from there you can easily do your manipulations.