Velehk Sain - Follower?

Katarsi

As the title says.
Can this notorious daedric pirate be made into a follower? I always have this nagging "Don't go!" feeling whenever I release him. Why wouldn't we instead make a deal: you follow me on my quests, kill stuff, have fun, and loot, loot, loot everything. I believe a pirate wouldn't say no to such an offer.

He doesn't resort to outright killing you like most daedra, and his bargain actually doesn't have a downside. You get the treasure, he goes his own way. For an infamous "blood on the water" menace, he's pretty decent. Killing him yields nothing, so it's a waste, and such powerful daedra can't be destroyed anyway; he'd just return some day, but with a grudge. Well, bigger grudge.

I think Velehk Sain would be an excellent killing machine with quite a few interesting things to say, considering

he even has his own book "Pirate King of the Abecean". He also used to be one of Molag Bal's generals, according to some sources.

That said - a voice-over would also be fantastic, although I know it's a long shot to ask for such a thing. Just saying there's plenty of room for creativity with this one.

So, is it doable?

• 4 weeks later...

If no one is willing/capable of making this mod, is there someone who could guide me through the process of creating a custom follower? I have Creation Kit and whatnot. I know this is probably tricky because this guy isn't a custom character, but an existing NPC in the game. Any help will be appreciated :thumbsup:

I don't know much about him. What it seems like it should involve is disabling any despawn, so he doesn't disappear after the quest, and giving him the current and potential follower faction ranks, then having the successful deal alter his disposition toward you. I'm not sure if that would require a new relationship or not. Unfortunately, it will involve quest work, which is far beyond my skill.

As far as creating a new follower, here are the tutorials I used. I like videos for clarity, but I like these because I can keep them in the background and keep referring to them, step by step.

https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Category:Getting_Started

https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Bethesda_Tutorial_Creating_an_Actor

https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Creating_a_Companion

You might try right-clicking on him and duplicating him, see if that will let you create a doppelganger of him to use as a follower. If not, you should be able to create a new actor, open his actor form up next to it, and match the details to make an identical non-copy.

Some things you may run into:

Wrong relationship setting - I don't know if "lover" is actually required, as the tutorial says, or if you can get away with friend, ally, etc. I followed verbatim, and the few followers I've made do work with that setting.

Wrong faction ranks - I'm not in a position to get into CK and check, but I believe the right factions are potential follower = 0 and current follower = -1. Double check that with the tutorials, or open vanilla follower and double check theirs. Wrong ranks and they won't follow you.

Wrong voice type - I don't know of a Dremora follower, so you may have to change voice in order to get it to work. Only some voices will allow the "follow me, I need your help" dialog to even appear. I have a petite little khajiit lady running around, with a female orc voice, for that reason. She looks like a proper lady, but sounds like she did 20 yrs of factory work, after she got out of the navy. Best bet is to try the same voice as vanilla, but if you don't get the dialog, switch it to a voice you know works and test again. Open up Faendal or someone, and match voice types.

Hope it helps. :)

Almost any, and it warns against employing some vanilla NPCs. I've used it to get the two wandering homeless followers to come with me, only to have them despawn as soon as I left them alone, and I've tried to use it to force a Boethia cultist to follow me, for...uh...research purposes, to no avail. There was just no dialog, nothing, no matter how many times I tried it.

Thank you for guidance & suggestions! :dance:

I'm nowhere near experienced enough to take on this project straight away, so it'll take some time until I figure out stuff. If anyone wants to cooperate, I'm all for it.

Velehk should definitely be assigned with another voice. Considering his story and background, I think I'll need a voice actor to do it right. Otherwise, assigning him with vanilla male follower voice would defeat the purpose of his uniqueness. Since his original voice is otherworldly dremora gruff, I'd keep it only for combat. There are already vanilla dremora combat voices which will do just fine. I'd cover the rest of the dialogue with custom voice acting.

Combat style: one handed. I'm thinking about adding conjuration or destruction.

Armor & weapons: added by player. He'll stick with his measly vanilla equipment until the player outfits him with something proper.

Marriable? Umm, no. He's dremora! If you want to bind yourself to him, you'll have to promise him your soul. Goth romance ftw.

I'll think of more stuff later. First thing's first: to figure out how to do all this :laugh:

Goth romance...turns out it's more than just wearing a black dress and combat boots at the shore?

In our world, that's the staple of Goth romance :laugh:

In the world of Elder Scrolls, however... You promise your soul to a dremora, and when you die, they own your ass. Some people are into the "owning" thing IRL, so why not? If you're not into it, marry someone else. Velehk won't mind, although he'll still make fun of you regarding "foolish mortal customs".

Yeah. I though about this a lot.

• 1 year later...