Is farengar the worst voice-over?

Cipherthe3vil

I don't mind Farengar too much, the voice acting at least. I think the dryness is part of the personality of the character himself rather than incompetence on the part of the voice actor and I'm pretty confident that the voice actor did multiple NPC's besides Farengar. Just my personal opinion. But I'll second the "Esbern's voice drives me insane" vote. He does have too many fluids in his mouth... Not that the voice actor is bad but just the approach used and how he sounds all the time just makes me instantly dislike him, the fct that he wanted me to kill Parthurnax certainly didn't help his cause either though.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually thought the voice actors in Oblivion did a pretty good job, I know that only a handfull becomes momotonous after a while but their expressions seem more lively than the skyrim ones who seem bland by comparison. Sometimes you feel that Skyrim is full of South Africans with the accent of some characters

Esbern? Really? You mean Max Von Sydow, winner of scads of awards all over the world, and nominated for even more? I can accept that anyone can find any voice personally unappealing, but it is pretty hard to support a charge of "bad" voice acting when referring to someone who has earned worldwide critical acclaim.

Personally, Farengar's and Belethor's voices both annoy me, but so do their characters, so I credit them with acting the part.

Yeah, I was seriously considering re-voicing Farengar myself after hearing him, but I'm lazy.

Esbern's voice is okay, but there is one part where his voice completely changes, like another voice actor fills in for a little bit, and then goes back.

Esbern? Really? You mean Max Von Sydow, winner of scads of awards all over the world, and nominated for even more? I can accept that anyone can find any voice personally unappealing, but it is pretty hard to support a charge of "bad" voice acting when referring to someone who has earned worldwide critical acclaim.

It doesn't matter what his past accomplishments are, if he did a bad job on this one it's bad voice acting - BUT - nobody said it was bad voice acting, we both mere expressed our dislike with how the voice turned out.

There is a difference between being very good, and doing something very good. He might be a good voice actor, but the voice acting done to Esbern was not good at all. Wether this is his, or Bethesdas, fault is a question to be asked. But don't run ad glorify a voice actor for former work done.

There is a difference between being very good, and doing something very good. He might be a good voice actor, but the voice acting done to Esbern was not good at all. Wether this is his, or Bethesdas, fault is a question to be asked. But don't run ad glorify a voice actor for former work done.

When it comes to voice-acting, I'll gladly stand behind the voice-actor's credentials everytime. The character and the voice have to match, and not every character is as robust as Robert Underdunk Terwilliger (Sideshow Bob).

Farengar has to be one of the worst voice-overs ever, is he? Can anyone think of anyone worse? I'm sure out of Skyrim there is bound to be a worse one somewhere, but I mean whithin Skyrim. And maybe out as a side-venture.

I ask because I just realized just how incredibly dull and off key it is. He sounds like whoever voiced it did it on the first time without ever reading the script before and they decided to use that first go.

Yes yes yes!

I thought it was just me. It's the timing as much as anything, it just doesn't sound like the tempo of any human's speech the way he moves from one phrase to the next. The voice itself is fine, but it doesn't even sound like a recorded take, it does literally sound like he's reading a script and trying the voice itself before paying any attention to what the words mean, the context, or the beat and tempo of speech.

Generally all the voices in Skyrim are well done even if they are sometimes dislikeable, the real problem is the monotony, the majority of people really do sound the same after a while. Especially the male "commander" type voice, that's just everywhere.

"So the jarl thinks you can be of use to me ah yes he must be referring to my dragon research I thought you were already on your way to bleak falls barrow the jarl is not a patient man and neither am I come to think of it away with you." Honestly. I knew I wouldn't be the only one who hated it.