Weird game crash on startup when adding new mod(s)

calscks

this is a very weird issue, which I have no idea whether if my game is borked or being caused by vortex. :huh:

my game (fallout 4) worked fine 2 days ago on vortex version 0.16.15.
today I've decided to update the version into the pre-release 0.17.1. previously a lot of us had problems on 0.17.0 due to loot crashing in the background and caused the application to sort infinitely therefore had to revert back to .16.15.

very soon after updating to .17.1 I faced constant vortex crashing that kinda fixed by disabling the gamebryo savegame management extension but eventually forced to roll back to .16.15 again due to an unrecoverable error "Cannot read property 'toLocaleString' of undefined" (but probably have been fixed in a commit after .17.1 release).

here's the weird part, after the hassles, my game loads fine if I'm having the same mods and same plugins installed. if I try to install a new mod with a new plugin, the game crashes at startup. I tried purging and re-deploy mods but to no avail. only uninstalling the newly installed mod+plugin works, the game will run and my saves, gameplays will still work in-game.

I have no idea what to do and zero idea what causes the game to behave this way.

after a few days of testing, I think I found the culprit. no, voertex ddidn't cause any issues... even though I rolled back multiple times and surprisingly it doesn't break anything.

the one that's breaking the game is that somehow there's a threshold on how many ba2 archives can be loaded, OR how many plugins that load archives into the game. no, it's not about going over the 255 plugin limit, but over a yet to be discovered (correct me if I'm wrong) ba2 limit which I don't think anyone has discussed this thoroughly before.

I have countless mods that add respective ba2s including dozens of CC contents, therefore when I tried adding another mod, regardless of esm, esp, esl-flagged esp or pure esl that loads ba2s, crashes the game at startup simply because the engine couldn't handle it. if I install a mod with loose files or simply a pure plugin the game will run fine.

major culprits are the useless CC contents such as ugly and useless pipboy, armor and weapon paint jobs. deleting them freed up the "ba2 slots" and solved the problem!

major culprits are the useless CC contents such as ugly and useless pipboy, armor and weapon paint jobs. deleting them freed up the "ba2 slots" and solved the problem!

Thank you for taking the time and effort to figure this out. This is a very important piece of information that I hope gets widely disseminated.

after a few days of testing, I think I found the culprit. no, voertex ddidn't cause any issues... even though I rolled back multiple times and surprisingly it doesn't break anything.

the one that's breaking the game is that somehow there's a threshold on how many ba2 archives can be loaded, OR how many plugins that load archives into the game. no, it's not about going over the 255 plugin limit, but over a yet to be discovered (correct me if I'm wrong) ba2 limit which I don't think anyone has discussed this thoroughly before.

I have countless mods that add respective ba2s including dozens of CC contents, therefore when I tried adding another mod, regardless of esm, esp, esl-flagged esp or pure esl that loads ba2s, crashes the game at startup simply because the engine couldn't handle it. if I install a mod with loose files or simply a pure plugin the game will run fine.

It's VERY much appreciated when someone comes back to the forums after figuring out how to fix their problem, and shares that info with everybody.

Thank You!

(I'm giving you a KUDOS for that!)