Have DLC but Vortex says I dont have the .esm?

LostAliens

When downloading (most) mods, they require DLC which I have such as Old World Blues, Dead Money, Honest Hearts, and Lonesome Road.
It'll say missing masters and that i'm missing LonesomeRoad.esm and others, despite the fact when I go into my Data folder they are there.

Any ideas why and how to fix it?

This is really a Vortex issue, rather than one specific to FNV. But my guess (and I don't use Vortex so this could be off-base) is that you don't have those DLCs included in your game "profile".

Vortex (like NMM and MO before it as I understand it) works from a premise of an "empty Data folder" in between sessions. That way it only uses files defined in it's "profile" for each game session. If you have the DLCs already present in the "Data" folder but Vortex isn't recognizing them, then it doesn't "see" them. Which is why you need to learn how to get Vortex to properly know about them.

Please see the tutorials for Vortex under the 'Mod Managers' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article.

-Dubious-

From reading the Vortex discussion forums, it is my understanding that the tutorial videos on youtube and the help files included in the Vortex download are required reading before you attempt to do anything with Vortex.

One of the many reasons I still use FOMM.

• 1 year later...

Hey man this might be a little late but I found the answer for anyone in the future. You have to go into your Fallout New Vegas folder then your DATA folder inside then manually scroll down and click then drag the .esm files into the "Drag and drop" area in the Vortex area. It worked for me when nothing else did

That is helpful, but could you clarify a bit, please? I take it you mean:

[While in Vortex] You have to go into your Fallout New Vegas folder then your DATA folder inside [that folder,] then manually scroll down and click then drag the .esm files into the "Drag and drop" area in the Vortex area.

Correct?

-Dubious-

• 1 month later...

Hey man this might be a little late but I found the answer for anyone in the future. You have to go into your Fallout New Vegas folder then your DATA folder inside then manually scroll down and click then drag the .esm files into the "Drag and drop" area in the Vortex area. It worked for me when nothing else did

still don't understand this, where is this 'drag and drop' area in vortex?

The term normally refers to selecting a filename, "dragging" the filename by moving the mouse while holding down the primary mouse button, and "dropping" (releasing the mouse button) while the cursor tip is pointing to the destination folder/directory name. It is also common in "graphical user interfaces (GUI)" to replace the term "folder" with another term such as "box/panel/field". It is also common with GUIs to have a "destination" that is actually a folder "unfold" itself to reveal it's contents when you let the mouse (with or without the dragged filename) "hover" over that location for a few seconds.

Otherwise I can only suggest you look at more videos and pay attention to how the mouse moves beyond just what they say they are doing. (This is one of my pet peeves with video tutorials. All the things they do "offscreen", especially with the mouse or keyboard, without explaining what they are doing or why. Some (usually pros) are very good about this while most are not.)

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

This worked for me but if you go into the plugin section, you just have to enable the dlcs and then Vortex won't say anything.

thank you the drag and drop didnt work but this was perfect and im kinda mad at myself for not thinking of it lol

• 1 year later...

This is a very frustrating thing. Why on earth did the developers of Vortex not automatically enable the DLC esm files for Oblivion? I understand that not everyone has them, but it isn't that hard to find them. All of them start with DLC and none of the mods start with those three letters so it's a cakewalk to pick them out. I don't want to pick on someone else's work especially someone who volunteered their time to build a tool like Vortex.

It's a fantastic tool. It sorts your mods for you. It doesn't get better than that! This really blew my mind however. A notice somewhere on the mod screen instead of saying it can't find the DLCs it could've said "Enable the Plugins for any plugins inside the Data folder before you start" or something like that and I would've had a clue. Thanks to posts like this one and such a kind and understanding modding community and I'm able to usually figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I suppose it's unrealistic to expect them to make it any simpler, but it causes intense frustration. On a side note - despite all the warnings that it can't find the DLCs Vortex will install an entire collection of mods (over 300 that work together without issue) and run the game with only one issue which was that OBSE wouldn't launch. I just made a few attempts and it finally worked. Truthfully I don't remember what I did to get it to work. Most likely I Googled it just like this problem. Google is your friend.

DigitalTemerity

Don't hate me. I'm just being honest about the frustration. Okay I'm going to make a confession here. Anyone who has ever modded an older game ever should have enough common sense to check and see if all the plugins are enabled. So I'm just an idiot.