This is really weird !

Tsongo

Hello,

I've got a bit of a problem with the way that my copy of NWN2 runs.

I installed a second hard drive ( E ) to put my games on and swapped NWN2 over ( documents and program files folders ) from the old drive ( C) then set the shortcut to the new location in E.

The game starts up fine but it can't find haks and when I tried to load a save there weren't any.

I thought that the game might be looking for saves in the old location so I made a NWN2 folder with the old saves one in it and put it in my documents on the C drive.

This worked and the saves were back, but when I make a new save it puts it in the C drive again !

I then put my hak folder back on the C drive again but the game and the toolset still says they're missing.

So two questions.. Any ideas on how to fix this and get my haks back ? Can I get the game to accept it's new home and only use/ look in the E drive or is it hard coded ?

Thank you.

Can I get the game to accept it's new home and only use/ look in the E drive or is it hard coded ?

Thank you.

You tell it where it's new home is with the -home switch on the end of the shortcut target line.

Example: "E:\Games\NWN2 Complete\nwn2.exe" -home "E:\Documents"

It doesn't need to be called Documents, you can name it anything you like.

Start a new game, talk to the elf and then save.

It will create all the folders that are usually in C:Username\Documents.

Then just copy your old saves and haks there.

https://i.imgur.com/PR4HJj0.jpg

Hello,

It didn't work, I deleted everything on the C drive and left myself with just the normal game on the E. Started it up and saved but it created all the folders and save back on the C drive.

I've swapped over quite a few games and had thought NWN2 would be the simplest but something is forcing it to use the C drive.

If I reinstall it on E are there any issues with updates etc ?

Hello,

It didn't work,

Did you copy the syntax exactly?

There is a space between nwn2.exe" and the -home and a space again before "E:\Documents"

It works because I just tested it.

My game is installed in E: and uses the default C:\Username\Documents, just adding the switch to the shortcut made it recreate the folders in E:\Documents

If you used copy and paste to add the switch, you might need to backspace over the " and enter them with the keyboard, sometimes " is not recognized from a copy and paste.

If you have the disc version, then all the patches are on the vault, but there are a lot and you need to install them all in order.

https://neverwintervault.org/patches?field_game_tid=6&field_official_version_tid=17003&field_platform_tid=138&field_language_tid=141&field_requirements_tid=All

But I don't think you will have to do that.

Edited by olnorton

I did and there's something weird going on with my game !

It's finding haks in E to run a module but not using the Haks in the game ! In a Bad Habits save Kim's turned into an old woman running around in her underwear !

I'm going to wipe it all out and dust off my discs.

For the first time in many years my PC didn't have NWN2 on it. It was really quick to install and I put it on the E drive but the patcher doesn't work properly and stopped.

However I got the game running and had to make a character because the installed ones were gone.

It was the final death of Adaur Harbor on my PC.. A veteran of many mods and much testing.. He will live on in my heart !

Anyway, I made a save and it put it in C along with all the files that weren't there before !

I think we're dealing with a problem that comes from my game being on an original disc and something's hard coded and you can't adapt it.

Not that it matters now, but if your shortcut target field was exactly as you posted it on the vault, ie

E:\Games\Atari\Neverwinter Nights 2\nwn2main.exe" -home “E:\Neverwinter Nights 2”

Then the problem was with the double inverted commas " "

First, you have a closing inverted comma after the exe, but not an opening one before the E: (That alone would stop the switch from working.)

It also looks like the inverted commas around E:\Neverwinter Nights 2 are from a copy and paste (which the game won't recognize.)

Your line should have looked like this:

"E:\Games\Atari\Neverwinter Nights 2\nwn2main.exe" -home "E:\Neverwinter Nights 2"

Or like this:

E:\Games\Atari\Neverwinter Nights 2\nwn2main.exe -home "E:\Neverwinter Nights 2"

But it is safer to include the double inverted commas with old games if the path contains spaces.

I sent you a pm.

Edited by olnorton

To anybody reading this in the future and with the same problem. The original disc version is very stubborn and doesn't want to leave the documents file off the C drive at all.

Also the NWN2 updater doesn't seem to work.

Before attempting something like I did make a copy of your game somewhere other than your PC or in a dark hidden corner of it before deleting stuff.