Vortex or nexus mod manager

sniperwolf89

Except it doesnt work. Particularly when you use mods from a variety of sites. Vortex has become the problem for me. When it fails, catastrophically, it is incredibly hard to get back. It even persists through reinstalls. It also tries to move things it should not, mis orders things and that will make life a lot harder for newbies and experienced folk alike.

It tries to do more than it realistically can.

I may seem to contradict myself a little for your scenario.

I agree with pretty much all of Jannifers comments above.

For a person completely new to modding, vortex may have its place. Vortex may help you because it autosorts load order and if you dont know the rules this would be helpful in the short term. But just aware that it will get confused if you use mods outside of the nexus in particular and if it does, you wont know what to do. In fact, it tries to do way too much and gets super cumbersome at times. For example I have mods from all over and it has become the problem for me rather than the mods themselves.

Could you provide a less hand-wavy explanation about what problems you think Vortex has with non-nexus mods?

Because it shouldn't matter to Vortex at all where the mod came from, the only difference is that for a Nexus Mod Vortex can get meta information from the page, but that's true for NMM as well.

If you are going to use DLL loaders and non nexus mods then NMM is a better option.

explain please.

At least you can manually just click a mod up or down the mod order without it second guessing you or being unsure if it is doing anything.

You're talking about plugins here, not mods, because in NMM you have to reinstall mods, potentially many, to change their order.

In regards to plugins Vortex will only object if the order you're trying to set is either invalid entirely or contradicts what mod authors and other experienced users have determined to be necessary rules.

If you are at this point there are only two possible scenarios:

- you made a mistake and it's good that Vortex told you

- you found an error in one of the most important community resources and should help fix it.

The vast majority of users will never be in the second situation and if you are, would it really be that bad to help the community out and get the error fixed, instead of fixing it only locally?

Agree with Jannifers point that it can actually just get between you and what you are trying to do.

Virtualization is what makes stuff like profiles feasible in the first place and allows you to disable mods and change the mod order in seconds . Yes, it makes setup a bit more complicated but the payoff is huge.

These are features that heavy users in particular should appreciate.

If I could offer you just one piece of advice, then this would be it: Load order is everything. You may think your game is broken and needs a resinstall. You might try to find the mod causing it for ages. Only to find it is something really basic and the last thing you might think would cause the issue. A clothing or follower mod for example. But persevere. The reason I am moving away from vortex is that it is getting in the way of doing this quickly but what it is trying to do is automate the basics. I just think it is trying to do too much.

You're talking about a problem that most Vortex users don't even have. You think Load order is everything because NMM forces you to spend so much time on it.

That's a common theme with Vortex-critics: You expect to be spending a lot of time on load order because it just doesn't compute that the automatic order actually is correct almost all the time without any user intervention.

I think older users generally underestimate how good the LOOT order actually is and overestimate how much manual work has to be done on it.

• 3 years later...

I am at the point that either not Vortex and nexus mod manager or I am quitting playing any Skyrim game. I went through two months and Vortex did nothing but destroyed the game. I hope there are still nexus mod manager without Vortex I give up on all games.

Guest deleted34304850

be interesting to see how vortex alone destroyed your game, also interesting to note that never once, while your game was being destroyed did you come here looking for help, yet. here you are.......

the floor is yours.

I am at the point that either not Vortex and nexus mod manager or I am quitting playing any Skyrim game. I went through two months and Vortex did nothing but destroyed the game. I hope there are still nexus mod manager without Vortex I give up on all games.

If you wish help with your Vortex installation, please start a new thread. Also, read this: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7332636-how-to-post-request-support-for-vortex/.