Hello world.

GlytchMeister

Hi.

Iâm probably your least favorite type of mod user, to be honest. I played Oldrim a loooong time ago, discovered this thing called mods, aaaaand destroyed my laptop. Modded the ever-lovin' bejeezus outta Oldrim. I think I was over 200 mods.

And I didnât do it smart, either. Install, uninstall, didnât pay attention to load order until I was 130 mods deep, big mods, mods from Steam Workshop AND from Nexus, shady mods, old unsupported mods...

Yeah so I basically went on a mod bender.

End result, my Microsoft laptop held a very FIRM intervention and told me to rethink my life choices by devouring its own video driver so very utterly and completely that not even a clean windows install could fix it.

Donât ask me how, I donât know. In fact, everyone I asked ALSO didnât know how.

I generally tell people I only know enough about computers to break them in new and interesting ways. Yâall should have LOTS of fun with me whenever I turn up in any troubleshooting areas. And rest assured, I will. Oh boy howdy, I will. Just you wait. I guarantee Iâll stump everyone at least once.

Iâm currently posting from an iPhone, because Iâm currently in the long and arduous process of learning how to use Linux. Because itâs the only OS that works on my laptop. For some reason. Yay.

Maybe itâs possessed.

ANYWAY WITH THAT BEING SAID...

Once I figure out Linux, I have some big questions regarding how does modding work on Linux - Iâm hearing stuff about Wine and virtual box and Lutris, all of which I know essentially NOTHING about.

Yup Iâm apparently a regular John Snow. Or is it Jon? I donât know.

Starting to detect a theme here? Boy, I hope so.

Thiiiis time around, I want to mod smarter with SSE - not just throw a bunch of cool-sounding stuff (Bass Cannons of Skyrim, Iâm looking at you) at it and blow my computer up again. Iâm looking at things like SPERG and stuff for balancing (freakin WEAK fire/frost shouts and WEAK magic ugh) and making the game a better version of itself, not a completely different game.

In that same line of thought, Iâm currently playing utter bottom basic most vanilla-y vanilla Oldrim on my 360 and making mental notes of things that bug me (like one mod idea I posted about there being no advanced armor steel plate or scaled shields) and will likely be making requests for things I canât find on Nexus.

I will most likely be avoiding Steam Workshop and Bethesda net of at all possible, because I donât want to complicate matters.

At some point in the possibly distant future, I might begin fiddling about with learning how to make my own mods instead of just shouting into the apparent void that is the mod request forum, but thatâs probably only going to happen when I have a new laptop and can torture my old one to my twisted little shriveled masochistic heartâs content.

Molag Bal would probably be proud of how I treat my computer, to be honest. YA CIN KEEP YER RUSTY JUNK, MOLLY, I HAVE MODIFICATIONS! MUAHAHAHAAA!

ANYWAY.

Uh... aside from all this, I am a person of a very wide range of interests and experiences, so Iâm just gonna summarize and say Iâm a freaky weirdo and I freak and weird with vigor. Some people... well... most people who have known me for a while call me a mad omnidiclsciplinarian engineer and scientist, even though I havenât finished a degree for anything. Yet.

So. Uh. Yeah. Hi.

(In case you arenât sure, you should PROBABLY be running in fear from this post and any troubleshooting post I make in the future if you value your sanity. I MIGHT be a Lovcraftian Horror disguised as a nerdy geek with terrible luck. Fair warning. Expect sanity checks - and expect to fail at least a few of them.)

Now THAT was an interesting read. :) Thank You.

Getting Beth games to work under linux is challenging..... and I don't know of many that have actually managed it. Why not just have a windows partition to run games under..... I suspect that would be a LOT easier. Also, I don't think the script extender will work at all under wine.... but, not 100% sure on that.

Welcome to Nexus. :D

Welllll the thing is, my windows dun did ouroboros'd itself somethin' fierce. Imagine an OS ripping its own video firmware off and eating it... messily.

Endless chain of BSOD. Video glitches - some of which were VERY trippy. Black screen of death, too, not just the blue one.

And I canât get Linux to use the nvidia driver, and I donât know if I can get windows to work with the video driver that comes with Linux. Nouveau or something like that? Itâs currently bricked again because I tried to install the nvidia driver, Iâm waiting for enough free time to reinstall Linux. Again.

Plus, I have no idea how to do a partition.

Ah well, Iâll probably just have to get a new laptop... once I get enough money... oooonce I get a better job.

Edited by GlytchMeister

The video card in a laptop is usually built into the Motherboard making it impossible to replace. I repaired computers for a good many years. Some very old laptops had video cards in them.

First thing I always did, before I dropped laptops in the trash, was take the case off to clear out the fans pathway. Clean everything. Wiggle all the loose cards to their pins get fresh contact. Clean the MoBo too if it's gritty dirty. Put it on the tester and see if cleaning it up solved the problem. If it was dirty enough to overheat the Video Card just cleaning the clogged vent would allow cool air so the video card would get back to work.

You might be lucky and just need to clean fan's pathway of hair, dust, and dirt.

If you're not savvy enough to do it yourself take it to a computer repair shop, if one exists in your area.

The video card in a laptop is usually built into the Motherboard making it impossible to replace. I repaired computers for a good many years. Some very old laptops had video cards in them.

First thing I always did, before I dropped laptops in the trash, was take the case off to clear out the fans pathway. Clean everything. Wiggle all the loose cards to their pins get fresh contact. Clean the MoBo too if it's gritty dirty. Put it on the tester and see if cleaning it up solved the problem. If it was dirty enough to overheat the Video Card just cleaning the clogged vent would allow cool air so the video card would get back to work.

You might be lucky and just need to clean fan's pathway of hair, dust, and dirt.

If you're not savvy enough to do it yourself take it to a computer repair shop, if one exists in your area.

This is good advice. :D

Itâs already been to a shop. Twice. They were both left scratching their heads. I assume they both did a thorough job (clean and wiggle and all the other tricks), they were both highly rated.

So yeah, Iâm probably looking at a new laptop. Oh well.

What confuses me is if the video card is borked, how can the Linux driver still make it work? Or is there some kind of backup super-basic video driver to that will let it limp home?