salmax10

Hello!

I recently purchased Skyrim Special Edition on steam. At first, I was able to open the game and play it flawlessly on my defalt medium settings. Then, all the sudden, my game began to crash at the loading screen afew seconds after hitting "Continue" or "Load" options at the main menu. Ive tried all of the following...

Restarting Skyrim

Restarting my PC

Verifying my Game files

Uninstalling and reinstalling the game

Playing with my quality settings (still crashed immidietly on lowest settings)

I even tried running a full system scan w/ my antivirus software

After all of this the game still crashes at loading screen. I don't understand why, if I was able to run and play the game fine just 2 days ago. I havent downloaded anything since downloading skyrim either so it cant be a virus preventing me from opening the game.

Im at a loss and have no idea where to go from here. If anyone knows why im having this problem or can help in any way possible id really appreciate it!!

1st i would suggest using the Unofficial Patch no matter what, so if you have the Special Edition then you want the SE Patch here https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/266 or i believe thats the right posting

2nd is Skyrim is a complete F'in mess lol, so yes the game is basically broken and you cant do some of the primary quest lines without the unofficial patch, since you dont seem to have much other mods or info around the basis of the crashing started then i can only really suggest to try and remember what you were doing when it started happening, or what the most recent quest was you did before it happened

if you are in the Dark Brotherhood quest line then that would explain a lot, the DB quests are bugged so a lot of times you might do a quest but after completing it or just talking to the quest giver in their respective areas makes the game crash when loading or in certain scenarios when you go to leave, so for example i got screwed on the DB quest to head to Markarth and talk to Muiri for a contract, whenever i walked into the town i was fine but after engaging with her then trying to leave the game crashed every time a few seconds after leaving Markarth

or for another example just recently i was stuck on the DB Cuisine quest, where i had to track down the Cuisine cook which was in understone keep in markarth, but after killing him i couldnt leave or load anything else cuz the game just crashes during the next loading phase, whether i try to walk out of understone into markarth or if i go to jail from the guards it still crashes, and i have literally no mods other than the Unofficial Patch xP

so sry i couldnt be more helpful but best advice i can give is try and watch all aspects and circumstances of the game when crashing starts

Edited by TommyC14

Go to your documents folder, then, My Games\Skyrim. There will be a couple files listed there, ( with a .ini extension, if you have windows set to show them.....) delete them, start the game again, and let it re-detect your hardware.

If you are crashing before you get to the main menu, that *may* fix it. If you are crashing when loading a save, can you start a NEW game?