WHERE ARE ALL THE QUEST MODS?!?!

GuymanBot

Excuse me while I rant, but I really need to ask this. Why are there not more quest mods available for this game. There was a time like two years ago where it looked like we were finally getting good FO4 quest mods, but those just stopped coming. Ever since then it's just settlements, weapons, gameplay adjustments that sometimes copy each other, and of course sexy presets. What happened? I know the dialogue might be an obvious reason, but we now have the tools to bypass it and make it more like 3 and NV. And I do know that there are a handful of "DLC mod" teams that are making huge mods, but those probably won't come out for another 2-3 years if we are lucky. It just pisses me off because it feels like in the golden age of Bethesda games we had a good balance of mods. But now that balance is out of whack, and it makes me concerned for the future of modding.

I would like quest mods too. I think part of the problem is for them to be decent, you often want voice actors. a decent quest mod would take a very long time to build.

I have never made any sort of quest mod and it would be a huge learning curve for me. I wouldn't mid trying to download and improve the Friendly Gunners mod for my own use and see if I can learn something, just with adding very basic, simple radiant quests for the gunners faction.

Quest mods and also new lands will come, but they need time. Even more today, where everything needs to be voiced. That was not the same before, because by all the Bethesda games before, the player character was not voiced.

But if you like to speed the things up, a bit, you can make a questmod by yourself, or try to voice act.

It's always puzzling to me how people expect massive quest mods in ANY game from modders, or request such. Let alone in 4 where building worldspaces is a pain in the ass. Seriously, do you not sit down and think about what you are asking while providing nothing? Bring something to the table - knowledge, VA, coding etc. - don't just be an ideas man cause those are a dime a dozen.

Quest mods are the most tedious to make, even without actual spoken dialogue recordings, the scene system is total s#*! to work with trying to provide a robust but dynamic non linear experience.

After all that tedious effort and hundreds of hours of testing, my own interest in actually playing the quest is fairly low.

Even for an end user, once you have run a quest once or twice the replayability is low.

So high effort and low replayability is why I don't make more quest mods.

You should try it and see for yourself.

Excuse me while I rant, but I really need to ask this. Why are there not more quest mods available for this game. There was a time like two years ago where it looked like we were finally getting good FO4 quest mods, but those just stopped coming. Ever since then it's just settlements, weapons, gameplay adjustments that sometimes copy each other, and of course sexy presets. What happened? I know the dialogue might be an obvious reason, but we now have the tools to bypass it and make it more like 3 and NV. And I do know that there are a handful of "DLC mod" teams that are making huge mods, but those probably won't come out for another 2-3 years if we are lucky. It just pisses me off because it feels like in the golden age of Bethesda games we had a good balance of mods. But now that balance is out of whack, and it makes me concerned for the future of modding.

1. As mentioned before FO4 even launched, voiced protagonist is a pretty big impediment.

2. Bethesda didn't really give us any "open" area. It seems like most of the commonwealth is filled with things that can occur, so there's nowhere to really put new stuff without creating new lands as well.

3. The game has way less stuff to "tweak" as it removed tons of RPG elements for perks.

4. The bullet sponginess they opted to go with makes making fun/interesting battles very hard to balance.

5. The CK gets worse and worse every iteration, and having to deal with stuff like precombines breaking sometimes by accident all the time makes it incredibly hard to change the world in this iteration.

There's a severe lack of interesting creatures compared to older games, which means most mods will just have to settle for recycled humans/super mutants/ghouls.

6. The game just isn't as popular for modding as the previous games because of 1-6.

Edited by PhanomGames

1. As mentioned before FO4 even launched, voiced protagonist is a pretty big impediment.

2. Bethesda didn't really give us any "open" area. It seems like most of the commonwealth is filled with things that can occur, so there's nowhere to really put new stuff without creating new lands as well.

The whole parameter of the map has nothing going on. It's why they chose to put the entrance to Nuka World where they did.

3. This depends. I've "tweaked" more things I can count in the area of experience gain.

5. Yeah definitely made things difficult with editing cells, as you don't know what's part of the system or not.

The part about the recycling monsters though, sounds like you're saying people will be unsatisfied with mods that do not bring something entirely new to the game, rather than do something innovative with what's there. Modding will never thrive like that. I hope people understand that you don't need to be a full on developer to make something cool in Fallout 4.

6. I believe it's mostly because Fallout 4 is in the shadow of Skyrim, it also didn't help that folks got the CK late.

Edited by Rasikko