WHERE ARE ALL THE QUEST MODS?!?!

GuymanBot

Not sure how you really answer "Where are all the quest mods?" without first addressing: 1) What does it take to make a Fallout 4 quest mod?, and 2) Are people willing to do that?

So...

1) What does it take to make a quest mod for Fallout 4?

- If it's a large one, several hundred hours. Keep in mind you're not getting paid, and you probably have a day job. So you're going to spend 2-3 hours of spare time per day for 4-6 months making a mod instead of spending that time watching TV, playing video games, or heaven forbid, doing something not involving a screen.

- The mod development hours are mostly spent on tasks like navmeshing, copy/pasting, lighting, audio editing, lip sync, reworking NPC and player vanilla dialogue into new conversations, creating material swaps, retexturing, altering meshes, building world spaces, customizing A.I. packages, creating leveled lists, making factions, double-checking quest conditions and aliases, building fail-safes, testing for mod conflicts, scripting, learning that you often don't even know what you don't know, trying to make the game do something it wasn't meant to do, play-testing, scrapping stuff you've spent hours on, then scrapping the replacement, rewriting it, etc.

- The actual mod development work, being methodical and tedious day in day out, differs significantly from the perception of the work, i.e. "here's my brilliant and creative idea, presto, now it's a quest mod". The mod you end up with will probably be different than what you initially set out to make. Especially with Fallout 4, where the voiced protagonist and dialogue wheel severely limit your options for storytelling, and your idea ultimately takes a back seat to the available vanilla dialogue.

- When you release your quest mod, if you plan to support it, you should be prepared to encounter, in order of frequency: users who will ask you the same question up to a dozen times even though it's covered in bold at the top of the mod page, weird and/or off topic stuff, valid questions, compliments, valuable feedback, harmless trolls, and, if the mod makes it onto the radar of Reddit or YouTube, then potentially: angry trolls, (literal) children, stalkers, and death threats.

2) Is anyone willing to make these types of mods for Fallout 4 going forward?

A few, but not many, as they're folks who for whatever reason tolerate or enjoy doing tedious stuff on a day-to-day basis, and who have spent the time to learn the basics of all the skills listed above.

Re: "DLC mod teams that are making huge mods", hopefully some of those work out, and kudos to teams like Enderal, Beyond Skyrim, Northern Springs, and Fallout New California who have released large projects. But if you want to be realistic as a mod user, most of these projects that seem to get announced every week are effectively Discord Servers where someone gets to see "Project Lead" next to their name on a collection of ideas that will never amount to anything more than vaporware. "Here's my partially thought-out vision, I'm going to recruit people to build it for me. I'm more of an ideas guy."

Versus if someone says "Here's a new quest project in the works, here's the progress that has been made, here's what is playable right now, and here's what's left to do. The project doesn't need you at all in order to finish, but if you want to help, here are the areas that could use some assistance."

Not as many examples in the second category, and "More quest mods" ultimately starts with you: getting down and dirty in Creation Kit. For aspiring quest modders who are open to doing or learning most things themselves, and can be realistic and patient about implementation, help with the technical stuff is there, and Seddon4494's YouTube Tutorials on Fallout 4 Creation Kit are a great place to start.

As someone currently contributing to more than a couple of these 'Major Projects', I have to agree honestly. For every Cascadia, Miami, etc, etc - You could honestly have a good bunch of high quality quest mods in a tenth of the time with far more reliability and survivability.

I've had someone beg me to buy a Vive to debug an issue in VR, but he stopped responding when I asked him to buy the Vive for me for some reason.

Funny how easy it is to quiet these demanding people the moment they have to participate in the effort.

I've done some quest mods, nothing big like a faction chain, not even a new location, but it does take quite a bit of time to do even 1 quest, assuming you want it done right.

Voice acting is notoriously tedious to add. There are 10000+ player lines in the game, there should be a far easier way to add player dialog. You can make your character in Fallout 4 say almost anything but it's hard, takes a long time.

Excuse me while I rant, but I really need to ask this. Why are there not more quest mods available for this game. There was a time like two years ago where it looked like we were finally getting good FO4 quest mods, but those just stopped coming. Ever since then it's just settlements, weapons, gameplay adjustments that sometimes copy each other, and of course sexy presets. What happened? I know the dialogue might be an obvious reason, but we now have the tools to bypass it and make it more like 3 and NV. And I do know that there are a handful of "DLC mod" teams that are making huge mods, but those probably won't come out for another 2-3 years if we are lucky. It just pisses me off because it feels like in the golden age of Bethesda games we had a good balance of mods. But now that balance is out of whack, and it makes me concerned for the future of modding.

I think there is quite a lot of them and good ones, what I miss is vanilla overhaul. Maybe it is just a feeling and not facts but it feels like there is more of quest mods in Fallout 4 and less of gameplay mods than in Skyrim.

When I saw how whole vanilla faction quests are written I had an urgent desire to do ctrl+A and delete button. At that point I guess modders decided that or it is better to return to Skyrim which was designed to be well used for others not knowing what is in there, or that it will be generally better to create whole new Fallout DLC for them. There is more of them coming with a lot of experienced modders behind it than Skyrim had - or again, maybe it is just a feeling because players demand their old Fallout that much.

Edited by Mudran

I've done some quest mods, nothing big like a faction chain, not even a new location, but it does take quite a bit of time to do even 1 quest, assuming you want it done right.

Voice acting is notoriously tedious to add. There are 10000+ player lines in the game, there should be a far easier way to add player dialog. You can make your character in Fallout 4 say almost anything but it's hard, takes a long time.

Not to mention to the "Where are all the quest mods" OP, how long it takes to record the Voice Acting as well.

It's not like people just quickly record all their lines in a few minutes by hitting 'record' and pump out the lines and they're done.

A VA session is usually something you're going to put a few hours/days into, making different takes on each and every line, and processing and editing them to hopefully make things easier for the mod author to complete their mod.

Apparently some people who use mods think that they can be slapped together in an hour or two