Would the Dragonborn be immortal?

Ashlander80

So i was thinking the other day, and another thread popped this question back into my head. The reasoning behind the Dragonborns abilities is that he has the soul of a dragon. Dragons are immortal, they can die, but their soul remains. Would this not mean the Dragonborn would also be immortal?

Discuss.

Delphine said, dragons aren't just coming back, they were dead. Someone is bringing them back. Resurected or soul transferred if you watch Alduin "resurrect" one.

You are of a bloodline and that bloodline ties you spiritually to the blood in that line (The Dragons). The Greybeards talk that their could be others but you are the only one who responded to the call. Since they do not think it out of the question that there could be others, there must have been multiples before or at least rumor of it.

In that sense, everyone in the game is probably 'immortal' as when they die their souls go to one place or another

I remember hearing quite often that the Dragons are (or at least used to be) immortal, but nothing ever went into anymore detail then that. Weather the immortality came from their body, so they couldn't physically die, or from the soul, in which case... i dont know how they would still be considered alive after their physical death.

"A Dovahkiin or Dragonborn is a mortal man or woman born with the soul of a Dragon, or what the dragons would call "Dovah Sos" (dragonblood).[1] It enables them to use the dragon's ability to absorb a slain dragon's soul, thereby receiving knowledge of the thu'um rather than having to learn it through practice.[2] The player is Dragonborn in Skyrim."(this is from http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Dragonborn)

As you see here, the Dragonborns are not immortal,they only have the soul and the blood of the Dragons, not the immortality of one.

Lok, Thu'um

Edited by Dovahkiin069

"A Dovahkiin or Dragonborn is a mortal man or woman born with the soul of a Dragon, or what the dragons would call "Dovah Sos" (dragonblood).[1] It enables them to use the dragon's ability to absorb a slain dragon's soul, thereby receiving knowledge of the thu'um rather than having to learn it through practice.[2] The player is Dragonborn in Skyrim."(this is from http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Dragonborn)

As you see here, the Dragonborns are not immortal,they only have the soul and the blood of the Dragons, not the immortality of one.

Lok, Thu'um

Guess that ends that. Thought it might be an interesting debate, to see what people thought. Didn't expect such a definitive response so soon.

The Dragonborn is immortal in the same sense that Ysmir is immortal. The "Last" Dragonborn (who kills Alduin at the end of time) may never be revered like Ysmir and may not ascend to divinity, but is immortal as far as legends in this particular incarnation of Nirn. Talos himself would feign have such a privilege (except that he has the Thalmor acting as his unwitting foils, giving him unearned glory in the form of their unjust war with him).

To quote Loghain from DAO: A man is made by the quality of his enemies.

There is one more bit of evidence, I think.

Dragons, being immortal, are not capable of comprehending the Dragonrend Shout. Dragonrend was invented by mortals, could only be invented by mortals, and can only be understood by mortals.

When you learn Dragonrend, note that you do not have to spend any dragon souls to unlock it, but you are able to understand it immediately upon hearing it. How can this be unless you are mortal? Your mortality gives you an instinctive understanding of the concepts expressed by Dragonrend, with no need to draw that understanding from any outside source. No dragon soul contains that understanding, and there is no need for a Greybeard to share his knowledge because you already have the knowledge of mortality within you.

There is one more bit of evidence, I think.

Dragons, being immortal, are not capable of comprehending the Dragonrend Shout. Dragonrend was invented by mortals, could only be invented by mortals, and can only be understood by mortals.

When you learn Dragonrend, note that you do not have to spend any dragon souls to unlock it, but you are able to understand it immediately upon hearing it. How can this be unless you are mortal? Your mortality gives you an instinctive understanding of the concepts expressed by Dragonrend, with no need to draw that understanding from any outside source. No dragon soul contains that understanding, and there is no need for a Greybeard to share his knowledge because you already have the knowledge of mortality within you.

Well... The problem with that is...

...even Esbern can give you the Call Dragon shout without training. Given that this is true, I'd say all the shouts are fair game for unlocking, and it really means nothing.