SKSE64 Crash on startup

Shalken

About two days ago I decided to go back to playing skyrim, it took me almost a day and a half to make a clean reinstall of the game, select and reinstall mods and get everything working fine. When I double clicked skse64 it starts like it usually does, then I click on a new game the game instantly crashes to the desktop.

I have been playing skyrim since it came out and I have always played it with mods and this is the first time I have encountered a problem like this

I have tried using only skse64 without mods and the same still happening, the game by itself works without problems. I tried reinstalling the game, verify the game files through steam and reinstalling skse64 without success

If anyone knows how to fix it, pls help :sad:

P.S: Sorry if my english is not too good 'cause is not my naitve lenguage

I'm having the exact same problem. I installed SKSE and a bunch of mods over the course of several days. Everything worked fine. Then, I decided to install a few others and start a brand new game after deleting the old saved files, but I get a CTD as soon as the new game loading screen is about to end. I tried to de-select the new mods and see if one of them is causing the issue, but I still got a CTD every time.

This is definitely a problem with SKSE or one of the mods that relies on it because I have no trouble with launching the game from its vanilla launcher. I've just finished a fresh install of SKSE, but it did absolutely nothing to help. I've tried de-selecting every single mod simultaneously, but SKSE still causes a CTD when I try to start a new game. What a bloody pain.

Edit - I fixed it by deleting Simple Lock-On SE. That's bizarre, as the mod wasn't even active, but I'll not complain about solving the issue.

Edited by Irishwololo

• 3 weeks later...

Having this issue as well, been modding skyrim for a whole week now ( i have 200+ mods). i do regular checks to see if SKSE runs around every 20 mod installs. everything works nice. i finish with LITERALLY THE LAST BATCH of 10-20 mods and SKSE Loader now crashes at launch before even showing the bethesda logo. "alright..." i say "it's just a matter of disabling one by one each of the last 20 untill it works right?". it doesn't work. even if i disable more mods it doesn't work.

Whenever I startup through skse it would just close immediately, launch with base game works fine. It only started happening when i got a notifiction that my vortex was corrupted and had to reinstall it.

I've confirmed this is the case for me as well, my vortex wasn't corrupted though (or at least never got a notification for it).

I've reinstalled SKSE but to no avail (i could be doing it wrong), some of you were kind enough to point out how to do it propperly, also i'll be checking a guide on how to propperly uninstall SKSE and check back if there's any changes.

My question is would a clean re-install of the game AND the SKSE solve this issue from the root? and if that is a possibility, would vortex keep my mods and their dependencies so i don't have to repeat this grievous proscess all over again?

Please do not hesitate to ask me for any information about my setup or mods.

PD: I'm sorry, i don't usually ask in game forums for help, i just hate to annoy people, but i've spent 50+ hours modding this 10 year old rpg so this is currently taking a toll to my mental health. Thanks in advance.

• 5 months later...

If anyone runs into this problem: you need to start Skyrim SE through the normal way first, if you don't do that, SKSE won't work and your game will crash right after launching. So, if you have re-installed Skyrim, you should start that game once and after that you can run it through SKSE.

Not to say this is always the problem, but for some people it might be.

If anyone runs into this problem: you need to start Skyrim SE through the normal way first, if you don't do that, SKSE won't work and your game will crash right after launching. So, if you have re-installed Skyrim, you should start that game once and after that you can run it through SKSE.

Not to say this is always the problem, but for some people it might be.

this should be pinned somewhere that "newbs" can easily see it. It would have saved me a few frustrating 'moments" when I first started playing

• 1 year later...

This is happening to me, and I don't know what to do about it. I went the extra mile and reinstalled my Steam folder to another location in case my computer was screwing with SKSE64. It still crashed on startup. Got rid of all my mods as well, and it still crashes on startup.