Rate-limit exceeded....how?

Skitz470

Okay so created a thread about this in the Vortex section (https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7394386-rate-limit-exceededhow/) but at the suggestion of other posters I will also make it here in case its a site issue instead of just vortex.

Okay so I woke up a little bit ago and went to download a mod before firing up some Skyrim SE to get the error/warning that I rate-limit has been exceeded and unable to use network features for an hour. How could I have exceeded rate limits when I have been asleep and not even had Vortex running for like 7-8 hours. Also, I'm kinda confused about rate-limit being "exceeded" in that I am Premium at the moment which I thought removed Vortex limits.

Since the time of me making that post I waited an hour and tried again and got the exact same issue, so not sure how trying to do 1 single download would be hitting a limit that up until today I wasn't even aware it existed.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey BlitzStein,

Checking your download history / request history, we can see that you have downloaded around 800 mods in a single night. It is, therefore, not surprising that you have hit our rate limit - which is only temporary anyway.

Please note that the rate limiting is in place to protect our server infrastructure and ultimately ensure that users, premium and regular alike, can make use of our site.

More info: https://help.nexusmods.com/article/105-i-have-reached-a-daily-or-hourly-limit-api-requests-have-been-consumed-rate-limit-exceeded-what-does-this-mean

• 2 months later...

Hey BlitzStein,

Checking your download history / request history, we can see that you have downloaded around 800 mods in a single night. It is, therefore, not surprising that you have hit our rate limit - which is only temporary anyway.

Please note that the rate limiting is in place to protect our server infrastructure and ultimately ensure that users, premium and regular alike, can make use of our site.

More info: https://help.nexusmods.com/article/105-i-have-reached-a-daily-or-hourly-limit-api-requests-have-been-consumed-rate-limit-exceeded-what-does-this-mean

I hate to say it, but I now loath the site. When I went lifetime premium I could download as many mods for as many games as I wanted and never had any trouble with the site. Now I cannot download more than a few mods at a time if i use anything in Vortex that pings the Nexus servers. The downloads side needs to be separate from things like "query info". Basically, if it is not a download request, it should be handled differently. Had I known when I payed for a lifetime premium that this was going to happen, I NEVER would have given Nexus my money. Paid accounts should not be restricted.

Hey BlitzStein,

I hate to say it, but I now loath the site. When I went lifetime premium I could download as many mods for as many games as I wanted and never had any trouble with the site. Now I cannot download more than a few mods at a time if i use anything in Vortex that pings the Nexus servers. The downloads side needs to be separate from things like "query info". Basically, if it is not a download request, it should be handled differently. Had I known when I payed for a lifetime premium that this was going to happen, I NEVER would have given Nexus my money. Paid accounts should not be restricted.

Well, according to your other post in the Vortex support forum, you were downloading a LOT.

Basically if you download a lot, the actual Nexus site will restrict you to so many requests from their servers per day of 2500 and after that 100 per hour. We can no longer download until our hearts content. Also, any other requests from a download manager such as Query Info or Guess ID's adds up to that limit. I do not know about anyone else, but i feel like I payed for a lifetime premium membership, just to be screwed in the rear. I could understand placing a limit on free accounts. But to do so on payed accounts????? Makes people not want to pay at all if they cannot get a premium service for the cost they are paying. Had I known that they were going to do this, I NEVER would have payed at all.

Hey BlitzStein,

Well, according to your other post in the Vortex support forum, you were downloading a LOT.

Basically if you download a lot, the actual Nexus site will restrict you to so many requests from their servers per day of 2500 and after that 100 per hour. We can no longer download until our hearts content. Also, any other requests from a download manager such as Query Info or Guess ID's adds up to that limit. I do not know about anyone else, but i feel like I payed for a lifetime premium membership, just to be screwed in the rear. I could understand placing a limit on free accounts. But to do so on payed accounts????? Makes people not want to pay at all if they cannot get a premium service for the cost they are paying. Had I known that they were going to do this, I NEVER would have payed at all.

Actually, I had only downloaded 12 mods before hitting the cap. I had used Query Info before that to gather the info on mods that I already had first and that takes up a LOT of the API requests. Like I stated, download requests should be handled separately from information requests.