The most amazing and beautiful rpg location thread

Deleted477949User

Hey guys I'm begining work on a new art project, the assets for which may end up in a mod one day. For now I'd really like it if you could share pics, videos or information about the most spectacular locations you've been to in an rpg. Any era, any genra any style is fine. Just somewhere that made your jaw drop or made you just want to hang out there for a long time. If you can share a pic or a video thats great. If not leave the game title and location name so I can google a lets play and take a look. Many thanks good community. Peace out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not really sure what RPG means in this - like in a beauty, or fantasy craziness or dark atmospheric feel?

I will leave out realistic/historic games, because you could also take some photo, so I will list fantasy kind of games:

I loved the art style of all cities in Guild Wars 2 - esp. the ruined city of Arah and also destroyed version Lion's Arch incl. music.

I loved the art style of Allods online - the city of Nezebgrad and sandy Dead Sea - they really managed to transfer features from real old Russia into fantasy alternative world.

which leaves painful memories of why those games were not what they could be but well, that is for another discussion.

Honestly games are surprisingly more hard to list for me - they are quite nice and all, but the most cool locations are from movies for me - like Star wars world made by Lucas, that was the most inspiring world setting for me - I never cared about dialogues or action, but those planets and inhabitants which felt like they belong there - I never had enough of it, or the newer comics in movies - like Guardians of Galaxy and those space pirate dens, Priest with the future/western world or Judge Dredd and those left skyscrapers - or horror movies like Aliens and the planet where you find that spaceship. Or pirates of the caribbean, or lol even harry potter!

But in games, for some reason the immersion is left out for me. I quite wish for a game, which would be able to catch that immersion from movies. I love the art, but cinematics from a movie are always higher quality - like the difference with LOTRO, Hobbit and the games based on that.

I guess gothic theme games will be always Darksouls, Bloodborn etc.

those are all great sources of inspiration. And I've been tralling through art station to eyeball that. Agreed that those worlds look lived in. I focus on games specifically because my final result from this project should have an isometric rpg look to it. Of course thats subject to change as the project developes. On passion projects the artist generally follows where the scene is going. As such I figure game world imagery will more directly translate to this theme, but everything is on the table at this stage.

There are a lot of good looking isometric RPGs, maybe even better looking than 3d/1st person games, and definitely with more busy gameplay, which I would prefer in 3d person view, but most of the time 3rd person view games rely on being immersive, while they are not that immersive. I don't play them, because I'm very picky about type of game and they are more strategic like, but I really liked the design of some of them.

The gothic feel od Path of Exile is maybe the best for me, but a lot of it does also background music/loop noise. Also the latest Obsidian games, or Divinity 2, or even 7 days gone.

Edited by Mudran