Crash at Van Graffs execution scene.

SinkoZimo

I am having troubles with a specific crash.

After Jean-Baptise shoots the guy, Gloria starts to speak to the manager. Game crashes immediately at the words "Never break..."

I tried to leave the store right before, but it seems it does not skip the scene. I haven't had this problem before.

Steam version - Ultimate edition

List of mods in the picture.

Any idea on fixes?

Not a "known bug", so most likely it is either a mod conflict or a memory leak/CTD.

We REALLY need to see your sorted "load order" as produced by "LOOT"; to include the main game and DLC files. With modded games its the sequence, not merely the list of mods, which is the cause of many problems. LOOT's sort gives a good first approximation, correcting the most obvious issues and is sufficient for most players. You can make minor adjustments to the order and tell LOOT how to remember them. It's in the on-line documentation under "Metadata". Instructions on how to copy it's list for posting are in the "How to ask for help" article, and "Checklist Item #11' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

Please see the 'Vanilla Load Order' entry in the 'First Timer Advice' section; and the 'Common Game Problems' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article.

If the problem persists, then see the 'Solutions to "Crash To Desktop" (CTD) problems' sections in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

I recommend anyone read the entire "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article to understand the differences between this game and others you may have experience with; especially if this is your first attempt to play a modded FNV or it's been more than a year since you last did so. In particular, note the mods listed in the 'Towards Game Stability', and look over the 'Common Game Problems' sections (at a minimum).

-Dubious-

Not a "known bug", so most likely it is either a mod conflict or a memory leak/CTD.

-Dubious-

Thanks for the Info, I'll try to sort this out with these and then return if I get it working.

I posted the load order here. I ran FNVEdit64-quick clean to first five plugins.

0 0 FalloutNV.esm

1 1 DeadMoney.esm

2 2 HonestHearts.esm

3 3 OldWorldBlues.esm

4 4 LonesomeRoad.esm

5 5 GunRunnersArsenal.esm

6 6 ClassicPack.esm

7 7 MercenaryPack.esm

8 8 TribalPack.esm

9 9 CaravanPack.esm

10 a FCOMaster.esm

11 b NevadaSkies.esm

12 c CFWNV.esm

13 d SolidProject.esm

14 e FCO - NPC Changes.esp

15 f FCO - OHSB NPC Edits.esp

FCO - Russell.esp

16 10 Weapon Retexture Project.esp

17 11 The Mod Configuration Menu.esp

WEATHER RUDY ENB.esp

NevadaSkies - TTW Edition.esp

18 12 NevadaSkies - Ultimate DLC Edition.esp

NevadaSkies - Basic Edition.esp

Edited by SinkoZimo

NEVER clean the official released game files. (That's the original Fallout and all the DLC ESM/ESP files.) Doing so will corrupt your saves and prevent other mods from working correctly. Please see 'Should you Clean the game master files' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article. (This is one of those differences from other games I mentioned.)

That is a much better "sort". However:

* Move any "inactive" plugins out of the game "Data" folder. They count against the "plugin cap" because they get loaded by the game engine if found, and can cause "Missing Master" problems. Please see the wiki "Missing Masters" article if you get that error message. If those plugins without the "mod index" numbers are "deactivated by the "Bash Patch", then you failed to have them "ghosted" by "Wrye Bash/Flash" when you built your "Bashed Patch". Please see the wiki "Bashed Patch file with Marked Mergeables" article.

-Dubious-

That is a much better "sort". However:

* Move any "inactive" plugins out of the game "Data" folder. They count against the "plugin cap" because they get loaded by the game engine if found, and can cause "Missing Master" problems. Please see the wiki "Missing Masters" article if you get that error message. If those plugins without the "mod index" numbers are "deactivated by the "Bash Patch", then you failed to have them "ghosted" by "Wrye Bash/Flash" when you built your "Bashed Patch". Please see the wiki "Bashed Patch file with Marked Mergeables" article.

-Dubious-

Any tips on how to remove the unused plugins in Vortex?

Saves still work completely fine. and I cleaned all mod plugins. Problem still presists.

EDIT

I moved them to a separate folder outsite "Data". Did not do the trick, but I saved new mod settings in Vortex, so that save files use them.

Edited by SinkoZimo

I use Wrye Flash myself, so I only know about the others "second hand". But it is my understanding that Vortex works from the concept of an "empty Data folder", which means it populates the "Data" folder with "installed" plugins that are in the player "profile", and has nothing there when not in use. Move the inactive plugins out of the "profile" and they should not appear in "Data". (Believe it doesn't so much matter where the plugins are physically located so long as Vortex knows where that is, as it copies "symbolic links" to the physical location around between folders such as "profile" and "Data".) If that doesn't get rid of them, then uninstall the mod and re-install with only the plugins you intend to use.

Please see the Vortex tutorials listed under the 'Mod Managers' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article.

-Dubious-

I could not find a fix for it, but I found a rather silly workaround.

Before each dialogue, I exited and re-entered the store repeatedly. That way it skipped each of the dialogue triggers and now I can proceed crash free.

I do not recommend it though. Maybe I try to later on find a real culprit for this by making a clean save and disabling all plugins. Judging by Google search, Van Graffs seem to be buggy in Vanilla as well.

However, thanks for the help Dubious.

Edited by SinkoZimo

• 2 weeks later...

Having exactly the same issue as OP. Fixed all my other mod related crashes before, but this scene is a 100% guaranteed CTD for some reason... did you ever find out what triggered it or how to fix it?

Only mods we're both using are MCM and Weapon Retexture Project, I don't think it's MCM and I tried deactivating WRP, still getting the same crash...

Edited by TheTrooper1138

In general, the most likely reason behind a crash for some people and not others is 1) mod conflict, or 2) memory leaks. The game is known to have memory leaks, particularly in the video pipeline. But I have personally seen a similar problem with lengthy dialog sequences (in Someguy2000's "NV Bounties III" mod. There was nothing obviously wrong with his code. But I was able to get past the problems by cutting out large chunks of "monologue" and scenes that did not trigger stages. Not something recommended for the average player).

Memory leaks are virtually impossible for anyone other than a game developer with debugger tools to track down. The problem is that the "leak" writes data into memory allocated to another program, typically corrupting instructions that program relies upon. When the victim program tries to execute the corrupted instructions ... CTD. Obviously the victim is this case is FNV, but it could be sabotaging itself. (You can't tell.) The maximum possible amount of memory allocated to the game is 4GB (with the 4GB Patch; 2GB without it). Everything you load in the game (mods, plugins, meshes, and textures: especially at higher resolutions) take up some portion of that memory. That mix varies widely between different players. Then you have every other program running in the "background" of Windows as a potential source of a leak into the game memory.

All you can do is minimize as many factors as possible. Try dropping your Launcher graphics resolution setting before that scene. Shut down all possible background programs (such as AntiVirus and the Steam Overlay when running in "offline mode"). You might want to try using the tool "Memclean", which periodically (you can set the interval; default is every 15 minutes) tells the OS to perform it's built-in "clean up" of memory. It has a "mini-monitor" that displays memory usage, and you can manually trigger it. Doesn't seem to hurt and might help. Anything else you can think of to free up more memory.

-Dubious-

In general, the most likely reason behind a crash for some people and not others is 1) mod conflict, or 2) memory leaks. The game is known to have memory leaks, particularly in the video pipeline. But I have personally seen a similar problem with lengthy dialog sequences (in Someguy2000's "NV Bounties III" mod. There was nothing obviously wrong with his code. But I was able to get past the problems by cutting out large chunks of "monologue" and scenes that did not trigger stages. Not something recommended for the average player).

Memory leaks are virtually impossible for anyone other than a game developer with debugger tools to track down. The problem is that the "leak" writes data into memory allocated to another program, typically corrupting instructions that program relies upon. When the victim program tries to execute the corrupted instructions ... CTD. Obviously the victim is this case is FNV, but it could be sabotaging itself. (You can't tell.) The maximum possible amount of memory allocated to the game is 4GB (with the 4GB Patch; 2GB without it). Everything you load in the game (mods, plugins, meshes, and textures: especially at higher resolutions) take up some portion of that memory. That mix varies widely between different players. Then you have every other program running in the "background" of Windows as a potential source of a leak into the game memory.

All you can do is minimize as many factors as possible. Try dropping your Launcher graphics resolution setting before that scene. Shut down all possible background programs (such as AntiVirus and the Steam Overlay when running in "offline mode"). You might want to try using the tool "Memclean", which periodically (you can set the interval; default is every 15 minutes) tells the OS to perform it's built-in "clean up" of memory. It has a "mini-monitor" that displays memory usage, and you can manually trigger it. Doesn't seem to hurt and might help. Anything else you can think of to free up more memory.

-Dubious-

Hey, thanks.

I ended up doing it like OP, though it was a pain and took a few tries. Went in and out of the shop until one time the game just skipped that dialogue line that caused the crash... if I ever have to get past that crash again, I'll see about trying some of this though...